Five Years

by Jenn on March 17, 2013

in Featured Posts,Photography

Matterhorn view from Riffelberg

Five years.

For over half a decade I have dedicated a little space of internet for my ramblings about food, I can’t believe it! Who knew when I started that I would still be blogging five years later?? I think it’s a lot of fun to look back and see the transformations I’ve made since I posted my “best salad ever“.  In a way, this space not only documents the food I’ve cooked, but also my life experiences – moving to a new country, starting a family, seeing some gorgeous sights, making friends, and enjoying life gluten free.

Last weekend was such an experience, a day with some friends who happen to share a similar passion as me, gathered high up in view of the majestic Matterhorn.  And while I’m not posting a recipe, these sort of images are just as much fun for me to create as food – so for my five year blogiversary, let’s take a little stroll through the mountains, shall we?

Monte Rosa and Gornergletscher

Blogs can be silly things sometimes.  And food blogging has several special quirks…. inspired by my friend Ilva, going into year six I think I may try to deviate a bit from the standard food blogging rubric of image, headnote/story, recipe.  It may be more fun to add a bit more of a personal touch to this space, or sometimes just share an image for its own sake without always tacking a recipe to the end.  Especially when some of my recipes are easily just a list of ingredients, such as my favorite grapefruit and mint salad.  Do you really need me to write down to combine the ingredients and pour your favorite dressing on top? My guess is no :)

Matterhorn in Winter Snowshoeing from Gornergrat

Besides, in a typical food blog post, where would there be room for snowshoeing in front of the Matterhorn?? ;)

Chapel Riffelberg

So I am going to broaden this little blog’s scope a bit.  At one point I used to post non-food images along-side food ones, and I miss that.  I miss sharing about exploring the world around me, and it’s high time I do again.  It might mean not every post has a recipe, and that’s ok.  This post certainly doesn’t!

Last weekend I met some some friends to hike and photograph around the Matterhorn.  It was the first time we had taken the baby girl anywhere really on our own (at Thanksgiving we stayed with family and had tons of people to help us out).  We survived not only one, but two restaurant dinners without incident, along with a snowshoe that started at 3100m.  It gave us great confidence that we could, in fact, do this again.  And we think baby girl loved seeing all the snow and scenery too!

Snow Trail in the Alps

For one dinner, Ryan and I even got to enjoy one of our favorite dishes, what I consider the “ultimate” rösti – rösti topped with ham, cheese and a fried egg – altogether a bit much, but still delicious, and something we had not really indulged in since our last trip to this region nearly two years ago.

Though I think I rather prefer the scenery in the winter vs. the summer, there’s something about the snow that just brings out the texture and boldness and majesty of those alpine peaks…

Hotel Riffelberg

This place is just inspiring, no? I love how big everything is, that that it can make one feel so small…

Trekking in View of the Matterhorn

Food is as much about what is on the dinner table as it is about sense of place.  Exploring the places where we get our beloved recipes, enjoy cherished meals together, or even just to find the reminders of what will become our favorite memories I think is worth it, even if some of us are too young to be able to remember.

Gornergrat Station

But at least we have images to show her, and can tell her that the first time she ever tried roasted tomato soup or wore a pair of sunglasses was in view of these gorgeous panoramas.

Ober Gabelhorn

And hopefully, one day she becomes as much awed and full of wonder as we were, altogether, taking it all in.

Snowshoeing in the Alps

Happy five years, little blog.  A lot has happened since I started these pages, and I can’t wait to see what the next five years will bring!

Alessio March 17, 2013 at 3:57 am

Happy birthday dear! :D Lovely walk you have been doing in the past 5 years and many times we met snow here ;)
These shots of yours remind me of the golden days of university studies when many nights were spent under one of those silver dome (they have an IR telescope in there) trying to capture some far away galaxies having fun together :) Those were the days lol

Jenn March 17, 2013 at 8:24 am

Thanks so much Alessio!!

Sally - My Custard Pie March 17, 2013 at 4:04 am

Congratulations – how time flies when you’re having fun. Stunning pics of the Matterhorn – would love to know the lens and settings you used. Absolutely gorgeous. Here’s to more pics like this as well as food.

Jenn March 17, 2013 at 8:24 am

Aww thanks Sally!

Heddi March 17, 2013 at 8:28 am

Congrats on the 5-year anniversary! Very impressive. And, such beautiful photos. We haven’t been to see the Matterhorn yet, but hopefully sometime this year. Thanks again for the grapefruit-mint salad idea–we had it again last night for dinner with friends. :)

Jenn March 17, 2013 at 8:35 am

Thanks so much! Def. make try to get to Zermatt sometime, it’s gorgeous!! And glad you like the salad, we love it too :)

Fiona March 17, 2013 at 10:10 am

Gorgeous photos! Congratulations on 5 years of blogging too.

Jenn March 17, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Thank you Fiona!

Rosa March 17, 2013 at 11:37 am

Happy blog birthday and to many more! Congratulation, dear.

Those pictures are beautiful!

Jenn March 17, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Thanks Rosa :)

Winnie March 17, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Congrats on 5 years, Jenn! Your blog is beautiful in every way and I know we’ll all enjoy watching it continue to evolve on your terms, whatever they may be ;)

Jenn March 17, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Aww thanks Winnie!

Simone March 17, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Congratulations on 5 years Jenn! It seems we’re both the same age (well virtually at least..lol) and whatever you decide to do with your blog I am pretty sure it is gonna be awesome. Love these images… It does bring me back to when I visited Switzerland ages ago… (I must have been in my early twenties….)

Jenn March 17, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Ha yes we are! It was your post that actually reminded me I had missed my own blogiversary :) Thanks so much!

Holly March 18, 2013 at 1:31 am

Congratulations and best wishes for the next five! I look forward to following you on your daily journey through life and food!

Jenn March 18, 2013 at 6:54 pm

Aww thanks!!

Zoe March 18, 2013 at 2:48 am

Happy blog anniversary, Jenn! I like the sound of the different format for the recipes that really don’t require that much instruction and can be thrown together quickly. Here’s to a happy sixth! :)

Jenn March 18, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Thanks so much Zoe!

Barbara | Creative Culinary March 18, 2013 at 5:47 pm

What a difference five years makes Jenn. I’ve come to know you more as a photographer than a diehard foodie (that hated word) and you tell a story just beautifully without words or recipe. Do what your heart desires…it will please you and your readers.

Jenn March 18, 2013 at 9:39 pm

Aww thanks Barb!

InTolerantChef March 20, 2013 at 7:20 am

Very Happy Blogaversary! I like the idea of beautiful photos going hand in hand with your posts- related to food or not! :)

Krystal R {Mrs. Regueiro's Plate} March 20, 2013 at 8:04 am

Happy Blogiversary!! What a great 5 years you have had, and some pretty spectacular photos as well. I always love your scenic photos…it lets me travel through your eyes. Plus, I think it’s pretty awesome for baby girl to enjoy all of this as well, soon enough she’ll be following you around in the kitchen and outside snapping pics, too!

Jessica @ Sunny Side Up March 20, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Happy 5 years! You are so inspiring and I really look forward to watching you continue to grow. As always, these photos are stunning!! I love your passion for photography!

Tessa March 21, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Happy Blogivesary!!! Amazing photos, and thank you for sharing your great stories and food with us. We all appreciate it!!

El April 9, 2013 at 3:56 am

Happy anniversary. What exciting and beautiful pictures. I look forward to your new take on the blog!