Chestnut and Sausage Stuffing

by Jenn on November 8, 2012

in Gluten Free,Meats

Chestnut and Sausage Stuffing, Gluten Free

It’s here – today is the event that Barbara and I created in hopes to help raise awareness of the plight of Hurricane Sandy victims in the northeastern U.S.   We asked you all to share your dishes of comfort and more importantly, we ask you all to donate to your favorite organizations that can help out those who are suffering.  Even though the elections have become the main news headlines this week, we still need to remember that there are still people without power, people looking for food, and waiting hours for gasoline in order to run their generators.  And now some have had to be evacuated again for the Nor’easter that came through this week, and are again without power in the cold.  And there will be people who need assistance for quite some time.  Every dollar we can send to organizations that will aid victims can only do good.

This list is by far from exhaustive, but some of the larger organizations accepting donations include:

• Red Cross is providing food, shelter, and other forms of support to hurricane victims.  You can donate directly to the Red Cross, you can also text the word “Redcross” to 90999 to make a $10 donation.
  • Salvation Army is also focused on providing food, shelter, and support to victims, and takes donations to storm relief.
  • Feeding America is providing food, water and supplies to those who need it as part of their disaster relief program.

If you are looking for gluten free donations, please refer to my previous post about the event, there has been some great info left by others in the comments.

For my comfort dish I offer up a seasonal stuffing recipe.  Stuffing is my favorite Thanksgiving dish – I could seriously eat it all year long.  When I think of something homey that I would want to cheer me up, I would want stuffing.  So I offer up this virtual dish in hopes that if you are suffering it brings you a little cheer.  And while sharing virtual food is all well and good, it would be great to do more tangible deeds of good as well, and so this post is about garnering donations – I hope everyone who is able to makes a donation to an organization that is working hard to support the victims of this storm.  Though compassion and community, I know we can work together to brighten the days of those who need it.  The image above links to the Red Cross hurricane relief site, but donations to any of those involved in relief efforts I am sure will help.

Thanks so much to everyone who is participating – whether you are joining in the blogging event and especially if you are donating, I love the power of our community and being a part of something that can do so much good for others.

And if you have participated, please add your link to the linky below, so that more people can see your post and so that we can encourage our community to come out and support those in need.

Rosa November 8, 2012 at 11:23 am

A wonderful recipe for Thanksgiving! That is one tasty combination.

Jenn November 8, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Thanks Rosa!

Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.) November 8, 2012 at 11:57 am

What a great looking stuffing Jenn – so comforting. Thanks for organising this with Barb, appreciated.

Jenn November 8, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Thanks Mardi!

Jayne November 8, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Very seasonal stuffing, looks good! Great job organising #FBS4S

Jenn November 8, 2012 at 6:48 pm

Thank you so much! I hope we are able together to make a lot of donations happen.

30A EATS November 8, 2012 at 2:09 pm

So glad to meet you and connect via Support for Sandy! It is such an inspiring event and I am happy to take part. Thanks to you and Barb for organizing! I am all about comfort foods, especially in times of crisis, and your stuffing would make anybody feel better! Think I may steal this one for Thanksgiving!-Susan

Jenn November 8, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Thanks Susan – I have been blown away by the generosity and participation in this event. I know we are doing a lot of good!

Paula November 8, 2012 at 2:39 pm

It’s wonderful that you and Barb have put this together. Thank you. Your chestnut and sausage stuffing looks like a lovely dish of warm welcomes!

Jenn November 8, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Thank you so much!

melissa@IWasBornToCook November 8, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Thanks so much for hosting, Jenn! Your stuffing looks delicious. I make my mom’s version of this every year.

Jenn November 8, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Thanks Melissa!

Mamabelly November 8, 2012 at 6:15 pm

This sounds so good! I will definitely try this for Thanksgiving this year! Thank you for hosting this event and link up !

Jenn November 8, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Thanks so much!

Amy Kim (@kimchi_mom) November 8, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Perfect for Thanksgiving!

I still have friends who are without power in surrounding towns. I feel so lucky to have power restored in our home just in time for the snow last night. Fortunately, it wasn’t too bad, but I can’t imagine what it was like for those just south of me. Thank you so much for organizing this event.

Jenn November 8, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Wow I can only imagine. Hope we can get enough support to help everyone out!

Kristina November 9, 2012 at 3:29 am

hi Jenn, it is SO heartwarming to see so much support for this – I hope we are all making a difference today and in the coming days.

I have had 300+ clicks on my Red Cross link in my post today, I really hope that means many are donating! Thank you for doing your part (and good to “meet” you!

Jenn November 9, 2012 at 5:01 am

Hi Kristina – I have been totally blown away by the generosity and compassion of the food blogging community today. And yay for lots of clicks to the Red Cross, I hope that does mean they are getting many donations today!

Justin November 9, 2012 at 6:38 am

Just wanted to stop by and say hi and let you know I participated in this wonderful blogging event! My comfort food of choice was Deviled Eggs.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com November 9, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Comforting and yummy stuffing! Love the flavors :)

ps: Thanks for coordinating a selfless effort in raising awareness, Jenn! This is another reason why I love our blogging community!!!

Nicole November 9, 2012 at 10:39 pm

That looks delicious! I like how there are bigger chunks of bread. Sometimes you get those stuffings that are just mush! Thanks for the Sandy support as well!

Jenn November 10, 2012 at 8:49 am

Thanks Nicole – yeah I always use cubes of bread like this, my favorite way to do stuffing :)

Eftychia November 10, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Yummy!

Jenn November 11, 2012 at 10:18 am

Liz November 11, 2012 at 4:21 am

I love how the food blogger community pulls together in times of need! Your stuffing looks like perfect comfort food…plus your call for donations and links to charitable sites is a wonderful way to help those still affected by the wrath of Sandy. Thanks for organizing this wonderful event!

Jenn November 11, 2012 at 10:19 am

Thanks! I hope we were able to encourage a lot of donations!

JJ @ 84thand3rd November 12, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Thanks for organising this with Barb it is hard to be so far from home at times like this, I’m glad I could participate! I did link up my post but it doesn’t seem to be showing quite yet in the list, hope it worked :)

Jackie @ Domestic Fits November 13, 2012 at 1:15 am

Great post! Can you believe that some people are still without power? Totally breaks me heart.