Prosciutto Wrapped Scallop and Fig Salad

by Jenn on September 24, 2012

in Gluten Free,Meats,Salads,Seafood

Prosciutto wrapped scallop and fig salad

I think we are finally figuring out how to do the guessing game that is parenting a baby.  After three months, it still is totally a guessing game – diaper? check. hungry? check. tired? check. bored with toys? check. just want to hang out and get a change of scenery? ok, maybe that’s it.  But this weekend, she rolled over from her tummy to her back for the first time, which was really cool to see – it’s been so interesting watching her try something, get frustrated that she can’t figure out how to do what she wants, but then eventually triumph and find a way – even if she did look at us like we are all crazy folk as we were enthusiastically cheering and congratulating her upon her success… I think we were more excited for her than she was, ha.   I’m sure I sound like every other sappy first time mom out there, but man does she just melt my heart every time she smiles, does something new, heck even when she cries.

Part of getting life into a little more of a rhythm  – I hesitate to use the word routine, because a schedule is probably one of the most inaccurate words to describe our days, but there are patterns and rhythms that we have fallen into as we’ve become more in tune with each other – but part of finding this rhythm is a bit more freedom during the days and weekends to go out exploring and socializing.  We’ve successfully had people over to our home as we watch her enjoy meeting new people (and other babies!), and we try to have more outings.  I think she would be completely satisfied if I could hold her and let her watch the leaves flutter in the breeze under a big blue sky forever.

This weekend we went out with some new friends by the lake, photographing, walking around and enjoying each other’s company.  Funny how many times I’ve been on the coast of this lake, I still see its beauty in new ways…

Chateau Chillon

Montreux, Switzerland Figs and Greens

One of the other pleasures we’ve been able to find again is cooking.  I made a feast for my husband’s birthday last weekend.  We roasted a rack of lamb, he bought a bottle of his favorite wine, and I also made him this salad, all with baby girl completely fascinated by all we do, wanting to be a part of it all.  It was the first time I’d seared scallops in three years, and was way overdue.  Wrapped in prosciutto, seared on a pan with some melted butter, and paired with figs and baked goat cheese on top of some greens, simple and sophisticated all at once.  One day I’ll show baby girl how to cook.  I cannot wait for her to explore food – but until then, she looks on with interest, as she does with everything.  Her curiosity is inspiring, it really is.

It’s a great feeling to know that we figuring it all out together, and also having a bit of fun along the way – what an adventure our new lives as a family has become.

Prosciutto wrapped scallop and fig salad

Rosa September 24, 2012 at 8:59 am

A splendid dish! That flavor combination is wonderful.

Great family shot!

Jenn September 24, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Thanks Rosa!

Barbara | Creative Culinary September 24, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I am so glad it’s becoming a process that is bringing you the joy I can read in this post; I’ve been there through some of the stresses and joy is better! Love you guys; the salad looks great but does not compare to the new family.

Jenn September 24, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Thanks Barbara :)

Michelle September 24, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Hi Jenn,
This is my first time on your blog, hopped over from Barbara’s Creative Culinary. I love your blog… and some of the sentiments you express about your baby are what I felt when I had my own. Mine is almost 5 now, and I look back and wonder where in the world the time disappeared to… she’s just started school, but I remember clearly the day she first found her feet… it still brings a tear to my eye.

She gets embarrassed when I call her my baby, but as I tell her to me, she’ll always be my little baby, the one who opened her eyes for the first time and went ‘wah’… then looked at me with her unfocussed dark blue eyes and made a slave of me for life :)

The fig salad is beautiful, and I just saw fresh figs coming into the ethnic stores. We love scallops too, so I think this dish is going straight on our menu!

Jenn September 24, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Thank you so much Michelle! Yep, she will always be my baby, I know that already :)

Emma September 24, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Dear Jenn,

I’ve found your beautiful blog just a few month ago, but till then I read your recipes regularly. It was so fantastic to see You with your lovely family! I know that becoming a Mum is not an easy task, but all of us finally can manage successfully.
I wish all the best for You!

Regards, Emma

Jenn September 24, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Thank you so much!

The Duo Dishes September 25, 2012 at 7:29 am

The photos are beautiful! What a great way to spend time with family. And what a beautiful salad. Very fall with those figs.

Jenn September 25, 2012 at 9:03 am

Aww thank you!! I have been really enjoying all of the fresh figs, I love them!

jas September 25, 2012 at 10:48 am

Your scallops look amazing. They’re something I’m yet to cook, although my fiance certainly loves cooking them. I’m always scared that they don’t seem to spen enough time in the pan, but then I never cook seafood and it always happens so fast! Your baby girl (and yourselves) sound like you’re having a ball exploring new things, experiencing things for the first time, or, like with the gorgeous photo of the lake, seeing things anew.

Jenn September 25, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Thanks so much Jas!

Simone September 25, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Ah there are the figs.. ;) Looking great… love that pic of your little family by the water. I can only imagine all the changes you are going through at the moment. I often wonder how very different our lifes would have been if we had a baby too. She looks adorable and I’m sure she’ll grow up to be an amazing foodie and who knows when she will start her first foodblog.. ;)

Jenn September 25, 2012 at 9:43 pm

thanks Simone – ha I think it will be a while before she even thinks about having a blog, ha!

Carol September 26, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Great memories from the Chateau Chillon, what a nice place to live. :)

Jenn October 8, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Thanks Carol! I think Chillon is Switzerland’s prettiest castle :)