Monthly Mingle “Americana” – Apple Cinnamon Pancakes

by Jenn on September 26, 2012

in Breakfast,Gluten Free

Apple Cinnamon Pancakes

I’ve always associated American classics with my favorite childhood memories – and in my own personal life experience, nothing is more quintessentially Americana than New England in the Fall.  That means maple sugar candy, walking along the rocky coastline of the Cape, apple cinnamon fritters at the local cider mill, watching the leaves change to bright vibrant oranges and reds, picking apples at the local orchard, and taking trips up into the Green and White Mountains with family.  So this month, when I have the wonderful pleasure of hosting Monthly Mingle, a themed blog hop invented by the lovely Meeta of What’s for Lunch Honey, I chose the theme of Americana, for celebrating all of the great American classics of cuisine.

One of my favorite New England childhood memories is going camping with my family, and we would cook up a feast that would rival many of our favorite classics at home, including pancakes (yes, pancakes while camping!). And seriously, what can be more fun than making excellent seasonal breakfast goodness amid such beautiful scenery?

Chocorua Camping Village, New Hampshire

If there is one time I miss being in the States more than any other, it’s now, as Fall is approaching….

So anyways before I wax poetic too much about old memories… back to Americana tastiness – Apples are at the core (hahah) of American classic cuisine, especially in New England – and to me there is no better homage to Autumn than a pancake breakfast full of apple goodness.  And all that chestnut flour just adds a nuttiness that pairs so well with the apples. Happy Fall and I hope you enjoy!

And if you want to participate in this month’s Monthly Mingle with your own Americana post, there’s still time! Check out my announcement post for further details :)

Simone September 26, 2012 at 9:48 am

Aha, that’s what you made these delicious beauties for! I love the idea of adding hazelnut and chestnut flour into the pancakes although I have absolutely no idea where to get that but it sounds delicious! We posted on the same day it seems.. ;)

Jenn September 26, 2012 at 9:54 am

Thanks Simone! Actually both I can find fairly readily here in Suisse – the hazelnut meal I can get at any standard grocery store, and the chestnut flour I get at a local specialty shop – if you are able to find some definitely experiment, the flavor is wonderful. If you want a gluteny version, I would switch out the rice and tapioca flour for reg. AP flour, and that way you should still get the flavor of the hazelnut and the chestnut nicely. :)

Rosa September 26, 2012 at 10:21 am

Those pancakes must be very flavorful. What a wonderful combination of ingredients.

Happy Fall to you too!

Jenn September 26, 2012 at 10:22 am

Thanks Rosa! Fall is my favorite season ever :)

Alyssa | Queen of Quinoa September 27, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Yum! Apple pancakes sound absolutely delicious! What type of rice flour did you use? Or does it not really matter? Am dying to try these!

Jenn September 27, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Thanks Alyssa! The rice flour I get here is a pretty generic rice flour, it’s simply “farine de riz”…

Jamie September 30, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Wow these pancakes look and sound so delicious – more like dessert than breakfast, you ask me! Your photos are stunning. Fall is my favorite season but growing up in Florida, scenes like your gorgeous red and gold trees just didn’t exist. I dream of living in a place where I can experience that kind of fall.

Jenn October 1, 2012 at 7:24 am

Thanks Jamie! It’s amazing how much I miss things like the colors on the trees… there is a Fall here but it’s yet to be nearly as vibrant as in New England.

Tandy October 4, 2012 at 10:13 am

What a great post, and stunning photos of fall! Thanks for the great round up :)

Jenn October 8, 2012 at 11:43 pm