Inspired

by Jenn on September 11, 2012

in Uncategorized

Summer Fruit

For a while now I haven’t been very inspired to cook.  Always resorting to the same 4-5 dishes, I have felt like cooking nothing and anything all at once.  My husband will run to the store on his way home from work, and more than once when he asks what we need, all I’ve been able to come up with is “I don’t care, just get some meat veggies and fruit, whatever looks good,” without any sort of plan or idea in my head.  Then, hungry but not really interested in cooking, I just fall back on the same staple one-pot meals that I know we like, ones that can be adapted to whatever we have on hand.  I can’t remember a time in my life when I have been so ambivalent about cooking – maybe back when I was a grad student, before I had ever tried to learn how to cook? Honestly for most of this Summer I could probably eat a sandwich and fresh fruit 3 meals a day and not get bored of it.  Maybe it’s just because I’ve had so much on my mind lately, various stresses and pressures from several directions, or maybe the heat of the Summer just wore on me.  But now, I am happy to say, it’s coming back.  I feel the need to cook again.  To see out new methods and learn new techniques in the kitchen, and give myself new and interesting flavor combinations, and I can’t be more excited.

I want to learn more about cooking fish and seafood (yes, I realize I live in a landlocked country) – and light fresh dishes that aren’t so heavy.  Things that are fast and flavorful that don’t need to be complicated.  It takes overcoming a few barriers – namely the language barrier so I know how to go up to the butcher and fresh meat counters and ask for certain fish or cuts rather than resorting to what is already sitting out on the shelves.  It means actually getting up early on Sat. mornings and bringing baby girl to the market more, which should be more fun for her as she is becoming more aware and fascinated when we take her out places now.  I took her to the grocery store last weekend, and I think it was her first time being awake as my husband and I went through the store getting everything we needed, and she just stared amazed in wonder at everything.  I laughed at her and said “ha, you look like you’ve never seen a grocery store before!” and then realized that she probably hadn’t because all the other times she had been asleep.

We’ll see what happens, but for now, I am happy to say that I am inspired, and it’s a wonderful feeling :)

What do you feel like making lately?

Iris @ the yummyblogsisters September 11, 2012 at 11:17 pm

how refreshing to read that you felt uninspired with cooking! have been feeling exactly the same these last weeks, too many things happening in my life and however much I love to be in the kitchen, it just didn’t happen. However, I am going to the market tomorrow and plan to buy lots of fresh veggies and make a great soup with a ‘pistou’ sauce to flavour it. We wrote about it on our blog (difference between pistou and pesto: no nuts in pistou!) and it made the soup so much more flavoursome. Autumn will be filled with soups here!

Jenn September 12, 2012 at 9:49 am

Thanks Iris! Pistou and soup sounds fabulous!

Rosa September 11, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Great to hear that you are inspired again! A wonderful feeling.

Jenn September 12, 2012 at 9:49 am

Thanks Rosa!

Jas September 12, 2012 at 12:17 am

I too know what you mean about the same dishes we get I. That rut at the end of summer and winter. I sat with a heap of magazines and cookbooks last week and post ur noted all the new ‘out I my comfort zone’ recipes I wanted to try and have told myself to make at least one a fortnight.

Glad to see your inspiration is coming back with a vengeance & that baby girl is enjoying her outings (when she’s awake for them:))

Jenn September 12, 2012 at 9:50 am

Thanks Jas!

Simone September 12, 2012 at 12:36 am

Yay!! Glad to hear the inspiration is coming back Jenn although its not really strange that you didn’t care so much in the last couple of months… ;) and I’m pretty sure we all have periods in our lives when there are just more pressing matters then what to cook! Welcome back though!

Jenn September 12, 2012 at 9:50 am

Thanks Simone! :)

Katherine Sacks September 12, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I recently started a Friday “Weekend Inspiration” column. http://katherinesacks.com/category/ready-for-the-weekend/

At first I though it would be easy, but as the weeks go by, it’s been interesting to see where my mind wanders in the realm of inspiration. Sometimes, we do crave the familiar, but it’s always nice to try a challenge too!

Jenn September 24, 2012 at 8:33 am

David @ Frenchie and the Yankee September 13, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Sometimes all it takes is a break, a step back and it all comes back.
Very inspiring post! I’m not the only one who sometimes feels that way. Thanks for sharing.

Jenn September 24, 2012 at 8:33 am

Thanks David! Yeah we food bloggers need breaks too – we can’t be crazy about food all the time…. :)

Simple Sustenance September 13, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Beautiful picture! We all go through periods of being disconnected, but it’s good to know that you are inspired again. Look forward to your good food.

Jenn September 24, 2012 at 8:34 am