Lausanne Weekend Market

by Jenn on August 18, 2012

in Featured Posts,Photography

Shopping

I adore going to markets here in Europe.  Every time we take a trip to a new location, the local markets are almost certain on our “must-see” (and “must-taste”) list – Besides cities en Suisse, I’ve been to markets so far also in France, Austria and Italy, and they continue to be one of my favorite attractions no matter where I am traveling.  Most major cities in Switzerland have at least one a week, and almost assuredly on Saturday mornings.  In Lausanne, a moderate sized city on the coast of Lac Léman (Lake Geneva), the streets find themselves lined with tents and stalls of various produce, flowers, and foodie goods as throngs of people wander about eyeing all there is to buy, and the occasional musician entertains the crowd on his clarinet.  Although it’s quite a trip to make it into town with the baby girl, she loves looking at all of the hustle and bustle and taking everything in, and I like fantasizing about all sorts of meals I want to cook with the world’s bounty displayed on every street corner.

Some of the market’s gems in August….

Lausanne Marché

Gorgeous berries are in season now:

Berries

And yes, beautiful gluteny bread:

Beautiful Gluteny Bread

And of course produce galore:

Produce

Market Veggies

One of my favorite parts about exploring markets like these is not just the produce, but all of the great artisanal products as well.  Particularly tasty are the stands from the various fromageries and charcouteries of the area, featuring regional or du pays cheeses and saucisses, such as Macheret Fromage – maker of some of the best chèvre (goat) and brebis (sheep) cheeses I’ve had en Suisse (and of course there are also the components to my favorite Swiss treat, meringues au vin cuit and double crème!):

Macheret Fromage

Or even some of the non-Swiss specialties, such as a few of my favorite Italian stands.  How can one not be tempted with such a gorgeous wheel of parmesan on display?

Parmesan

The owner of this particular stand introduced himself as Guido, and happily posed for quick portrait while slicing a piece of that gorgeous parm for us.  He sold some cheeses and cured meats – and that’s when we caught a glimpse of this bacon….

Buying Italian Cheese and Cured Meats

My husband’s favorite treat was the mozzarella fumé from another Italian stand…

Smoked Mozzarella and Jarred Sauces

And then I turned the corner, and saw an entire stand devoted to nougat.  Wheels upon wheels of various flavors, melt in your mouth soft, they are impossible to resist!

Nougat

One of the other great things about the weekend market is that not only food is sold. An entire section is full of crafts and secondhand items, a food blogger’s paradise to stroll through the tables of goods and go hunting for interesting props to buy – you never know what you might find that could possibly inspire your next photo…

Prop Shopping

Going to markets is always an exciting adventure for me, no matter where I am.  I love the surprise and discovery at seeing various specialties being sold, as well as the chance to pick up some great tasty treats for my next dinner :)

Barbara | Creative Culinary August 18, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Serious market envy is all I can say. The biggest farmer’s market in Denver is huge and I guess fun but it’s in a swanky part of town and so overpriced and too full of ‘stuff.’ Soaps and scarves that are sold in stores locally just take up good space if you ask me!

Great photos…now if you could please REALLY transport me there? Pretty please?

Jenn August 19, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Thanks Barbara! Ha I would if I could!

Lizzy (Good Things) August 19, 2012 at 1:05 am

Oh, how wonderful! Were you and I separated at birth? I love markets too, and if I won the lottery, would spend the rest of my life visiting every possible market in the world! Your photos are great!

Jenn August 19, 2012 at 8:13 pm

lol, thanks!

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite August 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Yeah, markets are probably up there in my top 5 of things I enjoy in Europe most. Having had the luck to visit numerous markets each week in Paris this summer, I am suffering serious market withdrawal. This post helped me a little though – transported me right back there!

Jenn August 19, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Aww thanks Mardi, I’m sure you are going through withdrawal after your very eventful Summer!

Linda - Lost in Switzerland August 20, 2012 at 11:00 am

Oh wow!! I have to try this market…. So far, I’ve only been to the Sunday market in Divonne, which is also fantastic. Did you ever go?
x

Jenn August 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Thanks Linda – I haven’t been to Divonne yet, but what a great idea for a Sunday!

Jamie August 20, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Oooh we are market addicts and wherever we travel end up spending most of our “tourist” time at the market. This one is crazy fabulous! The nougat! The cheeses! And the scamorza affumicata – a family favorite – looks divine! Lucky you! Beautiful photos!

Jenn August 23, 2012 at 8:23 am

Thanks so much Jamie!

thyme (sarah) August 20, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Fabulous market tour! We circled Lac Leman a few years back and just loved every minute of the small french and swiss towns, castles, and cobblestoned streets. Your photos capture the market beautifully…and whisked me away from my kitchen this morning. Thanks.

Jenn August 23, 2012 at 8:23 am

Hehe those cobblestone streets do a number on high heels I have quickly learned :) thanks so much!

David @ Frenchie and the Yankee August 20, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Oh how much I would love to go! Thanks for sharing this, it’s beautiful. Another place to put down on my list of things to visit… one day!

Jenn August 23, 2012 at 8:25 am

Thanks David! It’s a wonderful place to visit :)

Miss Nirvana August 20, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Amazing! I love all the cheese you have at your market. We do not have a lot of cheese at our market. We can not sell fresh meats in our state either, so meat is buried in little white frozen packs which makes it harder to look appealing.

Jenn August 23, 2012 at 8:29 am

Thanks! Yeah that was one of the first things I noticed about European markets as well…

EmmaRaphael August 20, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Mari @ Mari’s World pointed me in the direction of your blog… This market looks beautiful and your recipes and photographs are stunning! Looking forward to having a proper look around your site later! :) Emma

Jenn August 23, 2012 at 8:29 am

Oh thank you!

Kelsey August 22, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Oh my. I so get it. I love milling around markets like this one. I’d skip breakfast and just nibble my way through!

Jenn August 23, 2012 at 11:44 am

Thank you Kelsey!

Simone August 24, 2012 at 12:28 am

That looks like a seriously good market! I am the same, whenever I am anywhere no matter what the country I always try and visit a market. Love that. Especially in Asia I think they have my favorite markets of all!

Jenn August 24, 2012 at 8:24 am

Thanks so much Simone!

Jeanne @ CookSister! August 28, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Oh I agree 100% – there is nothing as inspiring as a European market! Don’t think I can ever get tired of them. Those wheels of nougat are quite something :o)) My hubby steers me in the opposite direction when he sees the brocante section of the market approaching ;)

Jenn September 14, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Thanks so much Jeanne! I never get tired of them either :)

Laura@MotherWouldKnow September 14, 2012 at 7:41 pm

As Barb said, I have serious market envy after reading this post. DC can’t compare.

Jenn September 14, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Thanks so much Laura!

Simple Sustenance September 14, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Everything looks really tempting! That wheel of Parmesan is gorgeous. I am thinking of my visit to Portebello Market in London. It’s an absolute wonder for foodies.
Renu

Jenn September 14, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Thank you so much! I haven’t been to London yet, would love to see it!

aunt helen September 15, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Hey Jenn,
Great story, and beautiful pictures! The last picture shows a red/orange tea kettle with a wooden handle. I bought the same one, by Copco, in New Jersey in the 80′s. Cost a fortune at the time, but had to have it because of the color. Still using it. Kisses to the baby,
Aunt Helen

Jenn September 16, 2012 at 10:28 am

Ha that is too funny! That kettle is pretty striking, I love the wooden handle :)

holtight September 23, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Terrific site with so much helpful information. As a gluten-free follower for several yearsI am always on the hunt for new and creative recipes and meals. Thanks for this helpful blog.