Bacon Tomato and Avocado Panini

by Jenn on May 22, 2012

in Gluten Free

Gluten Free Panini

I promised myself not to be one of those bloggers who gushes about every instance of upcoming parenthood.  And yet here I am, about to be officially deserving of the infamous title “mommy blogger” any day now, whenever she decides to make her presence known to the world, eagerly excited and yet also a bit terrified at the same time.  I am near thirty years old, and finally have to accept the idea that I actually grew up :)

Up until this point, even with such major life events such as getting married, moving halfway across the world, finishing school, I’ve never truly felt like an adult.  Thanksgiving dinners always involved us being the “babies” of the family, the young ones who though technically grown up, are still are very comfortable sitting at the kid’s table, making jokes and goofing around while the football game or the Macy’s Day Parade alternates on the TV in the background.

Now, in a span of just a few short months, an entirely new generation has appeared – my sister, my sister-in-law, and now myself, all becoming mothers during what my family has deemed “the year of babies”.  And just like that, we have all transitioned to being adults.  It’s a weighty feeling, knowing someone is going to depend on me for everything, and part of what I’m sure every first time parent is scared of.  But it’s also a new unknown adventure, one I’m sure will be unlike anything my husband and I have experienced before – and that, we are very much looking forward to.

Over these past couple weeks the cooking has taken a little bit of a back seat in my life as standing for prolonged periods of time gets to be ever challenging, ha (I’m sure it’s even more hilarious to watch someone who feels like a whale and waddles like a penguin walk around attempting to do every day tasks) – and my husband has wonderfully been assuming a lot of the cooking and cleaning at home, which I’m super thankful for.

So with my husband making dinner, we’ve been enjoying a lot of basics – yummy comfort food classics – like these grilled sandwiches which instantly bring back memories of our own childhoods.  This one was made with some store-bought gluten free bread, and inside is melted pecorino cheese, bacon slices, avocado, basil, and tomato.  Simple and quick, so we can remember that while we may officially be adults, no matter how old we get and how much life happens, we can always still be kids at heart :)

Gluten Free Panini

Also submitted to Gluten Free Wednesdays

Rosa May 22, 2012 at 9:19 pm

A wonderful treat! I am so happy for you. :-)

Jenn May 22, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Thanks Rosa!

Daphne May 22, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I have found with GF bread that it almost always tastes far better when both sides are toasted & buttered. It takes a bit more time, but it’s worth it. What I do is take 2 slices of bread and put them into a hot buttered skillet until toasty. Then I remove them and assemble the sandwich with the toasted parts on the inside. Then I prepare as normal. n Usually I am prepping the last of my ingredients as the bread is toasting. There is also the bonus that the residual heat on the inside starts the melting process sooner. Look out world, here comes baby!!

Jenn May 22, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Thanks! And yes, toasting or frying GF bread makes it wonderful :)

Nicole May 22, 2012 at 10:28 pm

Wow your dish looks awesome I wish reach through my computer screen and have a piece.
Thank you for sharing your talents I will be checking your website again.

Jenn May 22, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Thanks so much!

Sue May 22, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Sounds delish, as your recipes always do! Congratulations on the impending growth of your family!

Jenn May 23, 2012 at 8:27 am

Thanks!!

Jas May 23, 2012 at 12:18 am

Its true we never really grow up, I think even when we are adults and do have children we’re still kids at heart. Your right about basic comfort food and toasted cheese sandwiches are definitely one of them!

Jenn May 23, 2012 at 8:27 am

Thanks Jas!

Courtney May 23, 2012 at 2:20 am

This looks delicious and is exactly the type of simple comfort food I craved at the end of my pregnancy. I’m so excited about the upcoming arrival of your little girl. I hope the remainder of your pregnancy is restful and enjoyable. :) Best wishes to you two as you start this new journey together!

Jenn May 23, 2012 at 8:28 am

Aww thanks Courtney!

Avocados May 23, 2012 at 10:10 am

Nice rap on the sandwich “gift”. I am particularly interested in the avocado panini. I am an avo fan myself and love the idea of avo on brown bread. Anyway, this food blog is good and has a punch. Avos are a great source of mutli-saving life remedies. Folate and oleic acid for one are one of the sources that make them remedial including other things like fatty oils which are good even for nails and hair.

Jenn May 23, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Thanks! I love avocados, I seriously eat them at least 2x a week and try to incorporate them into everything I can, ha :)

Flo Makanai May 23, 2012 at 10:27 am

You are so lucky to be able to buy such nice looking GF bread, I would love too! But I don’t think I ever crossed path with such bread. Or did I, and I did not realize it? I’ll have to look with more attention on my grocery store’s shelves…

I’m excited about you becoming a MOM anytime! I absolutely LOVE being a mom, and yes there is a “before” and an “after”. But don’t worry : new parents can still be on the “baby” side of themselves for many things even if adults as far as parenthood is concerned ;)

I wish you 3 the best beginnings possible!

Jenn May 23, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Thanks so much Flo! I hope you are able to find this GF bread, it makes a nice special treat!

Laura May 23, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I so need this for lunch! Love the addition of basil leaves, instead of the standard lettuce or spinach. Yum!

Jenn May 23, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Thanks so much! The basil ended up working out really well.

Brian @ A Thought For Food May 23, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Gush all you want, darling! It’s exciting!

This is a mighty delicious looking panini! Pure comfort food!

Jenn May 23, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Aww thanks Brian!

Jeff May 23, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I need to make panini’s more often! It’s such a beautiful fresh looking sandwich! Bravo madam!

Jenn May 23, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Thank you!

Lynsey May 23, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I love this spin on the classic BLT. The basil in place of lettuce is a great way to give added flavor to this delicious sandwich. And avocado; I love avocado, so that is the perfect addition, as well. This sounds amazing.

Congratulations, soon-to-be mommy. Gush all you want, you deserve it!

Jenn May 23, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Thanks so much!! Ha I originally intended it to be just a grilled cheese but everything I kept adding in just sounded so tasty :)

Lindsey May 23, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Jenn, I love how flavorful these must be while still being easy enough for a summer weeknight meal. It’s going on the menu for next week!

Jenn May 23, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Thanks so much Lindsey! Hope you enjoy it :)

Suzi May 23, 2012 at 11:34 pm

Looks wonderful, nice and healthy. Congrats on your future mommyhood.

Jenn May 24, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Thanks so much Suzi!

Krystal R @ {Mrs. Regueiro's Plate} May 26, 2012 at 5:14 am

I can’t wait for you to join the ranks of mommy bloggers, because you are already awesome and then add mommy to that title = super awesome mommy blogger! We never grow up, and always kids at heart – this is a great reminder meal of that!! Good for you that DH is stepping up and helping out because these last few weeks are the hardest. Best of luck for the remainder of your pregnancy and be ready for the joyful rollercoaster ride of parenthood!

Jenn May 26, 2012 at 10:43 am

Thanks so much Krystal!!

Begins At Sundown Cooks May 26, 2012 at 3:30 pm

This looks amazing!

Jenn May 26, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy May 27, 2012 at 11:28 pm

wow…that looks so delicious! my mouth is watering! thanks for sharing! love your blog!