Whenever anyone asks me for advice about going gluten free, the first thing I tell them is to look for naturally gluten free dishes that don’t require any alterations at all. You know, the ones that don’t have lists of a dozen different flours in them and other ingredients that the average person might consider a little “strange” if they are not the most familiar with gluten free cooking and baking. I also like to stress cooking naturally gluten free foods because I think it’s important to recognize that gluten free doesn’t have to be limiting. Yes, making pizza from scratch and baking cupcakes might get a bit trickier, but it’s important not to stress about “losing” one’s favorite foods in exactly the way they are remembered. And there are just so many wonderfully flavorful and exciting foods that already are totally gluten free. While I get just as excited as the next person about a successful recipe conversion to GF, I think we should also be excited about those dishes that require no converting at all.
So this year, I’ve been thinking about how many great naturally gluten free recipes get put out into the blogosphere all the time, and how they should be celebrated. Starting this month, I am keeping a running list of naturally gluten free recipes I come across that I think would be great to recognize – they may come from a gluten free blog, they may not – because many people already eat and make naturally gluten free dishes. I think this will be a new monthly feature here on Jenn Cuisine, to highlight some great looking naturally gluten free dishes.
I actually came across dozens of lovely looking naturally GF recipes this month in my reader, and on Facebook and Twitter etc., but today I am just sharing my favorites that I saw this month (most were published this month, some I just happened to come across this month that were published earlier) – as you can see that lentils and curry flavors were rather popular
- David of Kitchen 72 made a red cabbage, pomegranate, beetroot and pumpkin seed salad
- Simone of Junglefrog Cooking made a lettuce, chicory and apple salad
- Kulsum of Journey Kitchen made a sprouted mungbean salad with a spicy clementine dressing
- Barbara of Creative Culinary made a red lentil soup with ham and curry
- Courtney of Cook Like a Champion made a lentil and black bean soup with andouille sausage
- Maris of In Good Taste made a Thai chicken curry soup
- Cate of Cate’s World Kitchen made quinoa and pistachio stuffed acorn squash
- Ali and Tom of Whole Life Nutrition Kitchen made mung beans and rice with Indian spices and caramelized onions
- Flo of Makanai Bio made green puy lentil curry with orange butternut
Fish and Meats -
- Amy of Sing for Your Supper made apricot glazed pork chops
- Nicole of Prevention RD made a coconut shrimp curry
- Andrew from Spittoon Extra made sticky pancetta scallops
- Amy of Tiny Tea Room made tropical meringue pavlova nests with mango and coconut
- Rochelle of Acquired Life has a chocolate marquise for Daring Bakers
- Shannalee of Food Loves Writing made raw brownies with chocolate avocado frosting
- Robyn of Choc Swirl made roasted strawberry balsamic ice cream
I hope to continue this as a regular feature on Jenn Cuisine, and help share some naturally gluten free recipe love!
*Note – as always, make sure to read all labels for all ingredients you use if you need to be gluten free or have any food allergies/restrictions/sensitivities.