Homemade Chipotle Mayonnaise for Artichokes: Naturally Gluten and Dairy Free

by Jenn on March 27, 2011

in Dairy Free,Diabetic Friendly,Dips and Sauces,Gluten Free,No Cook,Vegetarian

Spring Blossoms Mmmm Artichokes

My mom grew up in California.  My grandmother grew up in California, and her mother before her and hers before her.  Even though I grew up in chilly New England, California runs in my blood – and thanks to my mother’s cooking during my childhood, also my tastebuds.  She is the reason why I love apricots and fresh figs and avocados and artichokes.  And she and my dad together both taught me to love beautiful fresh produce.  When I was home with my parents a few years ago as we were making some wedding preparations, I remember driving for a full hour down to a market on the shore – one that specialized in certain miniature apple pies we were going to purchase as favors for our guests – and there we stumbled upon the most perfect artichokes I have ever seen – she said they reminded her of California, and that was it, we went home with apple pies, and a giant bag full of fresh beautiful artichokes :)

My mom likes to boil them with Italian herbs and then dip the leaves in garlic butter or ranch dressing (my little sister introduced all sorts of creative ways to use ranch dressing when we were kids :) ).  To this day, it’s my usual method of perparation – easy and no babysitting required.  Just trim off the stems and outer leaves, boil in salted herbed water for about an hour or until they are tender, then serve them, and rip off each leaf, dipping in garlic butter and the scraping the goodness between your teeth.  I’ve experimented with a few ways – roasting and stuffing them, grilling them, or simply boiling them. It doesn’t matter, I love them every way.

Well now that Spring is finally in the air, with the sunshine, warmer days and flowers finally showing themselves to the world again, artichokes have made their way to the markets.  It took a little time, but my husband is now officially an artichoke convert as well and we both look forward to finding the large tight leaved vegetable amongst the stands of greens and seasonal fruit.  To celebrate our first artichokes of the year, I decided to do something a little different than the typical garlic butter that we make – so we played with emulsions and made mayonnaise.  From scratch.  With chipotle peppers.  I’m usually not a mayonnaise fan, but dipping artichoke leaves in homemade chipotle mayo? Now I think I am the one who has become a convert :)

Pretty Blue Flower

Mayonnaise is a simple emulsion of egg yolk/vinegar/lemon and oil.  It takes a lot of whisking and stamina if you decide to eschew technology and go about it via the “old fashioned” route. I often make this mistake – I rationalize to myself, “I’m sure people have been making mayonnaise for hundreds of years, before there were such things as electric appliances, how hard can it be?” hahah. Now I know.  Even with my husband and I trading off with the whisking, we couldn’t do it.  About 1/4 cup of olive oil through, we broke down and got out the electric hand mixer.   And you know what? It worked just fine.

Like I said I’ve never really been a fan of mayonnaise before.  But after my first time trying it homemade, I have to say, mayo is pretty tasty stuff.  Maybe it was all the chipotle peppers, I don’t know.  But I will definitely be making this again.  Chipotle peppers were not easy to find, but luckily our favorite specialty store had them canned in adobo sauce.  The heat and smokiness and the slightest hint of sweet added just the right flavor and kick to our mayo.

And this may now be my new favorite way to enjoy artichokes :)

Mmmm homemade chipotle mayo

Also submitted to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays and Gluten Free Wednesdays

Rosa March 27, 2011 at 10:49 pm

That mayo looks and sounds terrific! A perfect dip for artichokes.

Those spring clicks are wonderful!

Jenn March 27, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Thanks Rosa!

Raj @ Flip Cookbook March 27, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I LOVE how thick your mayo turned out. I may be totally blind and not seeing this — but are the chipotle peppers used in the topping or blended in? I’m not really familiar with southwest dry rub — is there a mixture you use?

I’m hosting a new Food Blogger get-together to promote recipes without refined sugar. You should definitely share this tasty mayo there! http://flipcookbook.com/2011/03/sugar-free-sunday-is-here/

Jenn March 27, 2011 at 11:23 pm

oops cause I forgot to add them in the directions, fixing now, sorry about that!
I purchased a southwest dry rub that I happen to like, but there are lots of recipes available online if you want to make your own :)

Lana March 28, 2011 at 12:45 am

I have been making mayonnaise for several months now, and I cannot buy it any more – there is no comparison in taste:) And I am partial to Thomy, anyway:)
Adding chipotle peppers would be beautiful – I can almost taste the spice and the smokiness. I am in California, and artichokes are slowly appearing in the markets. I love them boiled, like in your recipe.
Love the photos, as usual, but the blue flower is my favorite:)

Jenn March 28, 2011 at 5:30 am

Thanks Lana! Ha I never had Thomy until we moved to Suisse, that’s what my husband usually gets :)

Barbara | VinoLuciStyle March 28, 2011 at 12:49 am

I only make mayo for a chicken salad I love…and you are so right. Substituting purchased mayo really opened my eyes to the difference, it is so good fresh. Unfortunately because it is so fresh, it has to be consumed quickly…hence why I don’t make it a lot!

Your photo of the dip is SPECTACULAR. That’s all.

Jenn March 28, 2011 at 5:31 am

Thanks Barbara! Oooooh I love the idea of using this mayo for a chicken salad! I kinda made a big batch and also need to do something with it :)

hannah March 28, 2011 at 2:22 am

funny, i was just thinking about artichokes this morning. was wondering if they were in season yet. i’ll have to try out your mayo. looks yummy.

Jenn March 28, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Thanks! I think the mayo could work for a few things, going to try some chicken salad out tonight :)

Jessica March 28, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Wow, simply gorgeous photos and the recipe looks amazing. I love artichokes and have never thought to dip them in a creative mayo. A must try! Thanks Jenn :)

Jenn March 28, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Thanks Jessica!

sonia March 29, 2011 at 9:10 am

Jenn
This sounds yummm..
Just finshed doing some stuffed artichokes
wish the dip could fly to me quick
love ur pics as always
pls keep sharing, ur an inspiration

InTolerantChef March 29, 2011 at 9:20 am

You wuss! Our mixer broke down at work recently and I was making 10lt of mayonaisse by hand at a time. It was HARD!!! I would put the bowl in the sink to mix it in a vain attempt to save my arm muscles.
The recipe is lovely as usual, and I love the idea of the chili.

Megan March 29, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I adore artichokes and this sauce looks incredible. Can’t wait to give it a try! Thanks!!

Jenn March 29, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Thanks, hope you enjoy it!

alyce March 29, 2011 at 9:55 pm

love homemade mayo. your photos are beautiful.

Jenn March 29, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Julia @ DimpleArts Photography March 29, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I am usually intimidated by artichokes. But really enjoy them in restaurants. Thank you for describing a simple way to cook and enjoy artichokes.

Jenn March 29, 2011 at 11:04 pm

You’re welcome! This is how I cook artichokes most of the time, really hassle free :)

Joy March 30, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Yum. I haven’t had artichokes for so long. I’m so craving that right now.

Jenn March 30, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Thanks!!

Nicole Hunn April 1, 2011 at 2:52 am

How is that there are people in this world who don’t like mayonnaise at all? How?

Jenn April 1, 2011 at 6:33 pm

I never liked mayonnaise until I made it myself, it happens ;)

penandra April 1, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Don’t know if you are aware, but it’s possible to skip the “drip by drip” part by making mayo in a deep jar (a 2 cup measuring cup or a 2 cup canning jar is perfect) and using a stick blender . . . put all the ingredients (at room temp) into the jar, put in the blender directly over the ingredients and hold it against the bottom of the jar. Pour the oil into the jar, then turn on the blender. Homemade mayo in less than a minute! (I made some this morning for my tuna sandwich at lunch (which I just finished). Yup. It’s that quick!

Jenn April 1, 2011 at 9:57 pm

oh awesome, what a great thing to know! I’ll definitely try this next time :)

penandra April 2, 2011 at 1:07 am

for lots of hints about this you can google stick blender mayo (or immersion blender mayo) — do not turn on the blender until it is on the bottom of the jar and you’ve added the oil . . . it doesn’t thicken ;-) I also figure if it will work with mayo . . . it might also work with Hollandaise! ;-)

Heather @ Stuffed Pepper April 13, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I was *just* thinking about making a chipotle mayonnaise since I have some leftover chipotles in adobo sauce in the fridge. Seriously! Another coincidence (like the Bolognese I just left a comment about). BUT I didn’t have a recipe, so voila! Thanks for the inspiration.