Quick and Easy Cornbread, Gluten Free

by Jenn on January 22, 2011

in Gluten Free,Tastes,Vegetarian

Broc Gluten Free Cornbread

Lately, the weather has looked like a mean Winter blizzard outside.  The landscape takes on a rather colorless hue as the permanent gray sets in.

Broc, Suisse

And if you do go outside during a rare event of blue sky & sunshine, you are likely to look like this, hair flying every which way even if you attempt to bundle up w/ a scarf and a hat (well, at least my husband has the scarf bit down, still working on the whole wearing a hat thing):

My husband

Ice can even freeze sideways:

The wind negates any warmth the sun brings.  I’m almost debating turning on the heat in my usually stifling apt.

However, if you do muster up the courage to brave these chilly temperatures, I suggest enjoying yourself at the source of all comfort foods, a chocolaterie.  I had a fun opportunity this week to visit a certain very famous brand en Suisse with some coworkers.  At first I wasn’t even sure I’d be able to go because of some crazy stuff I was trying to fix at work, but at the last second was persuaded away from my desk and into the car we went to Broc in the canton of Fribourg.  Stepping out of the car, the smell of chocolate filled your nostrils as you walked through this little village, and into the chocolaterie of one of the oldest Swiss brands we went, where we learned about the history of chocolate, and how the Swiss became so famous for their chocolatiering.  Seriously, if you’re going to spend a chilly afternoon inside somewhere, it should be a chocolate factory!

Did I mention there was tasting at the end? Mmmm chocolate!

Mmm chocolate

Cacao beans

Unfortunately the chocolate was not guaranteed to be gluten free (there is a noticeable “peut contenir gluten” on the packages), so I didn’t bring any home to my husband.  For him, I needed to create a different kind of food to warm him up from the blistering chill outside that also manages to creep under our balcony doors and onto our feet as we walk about.

And so, to go into a completely different direction from chocolate, I made one of his favorite comfort foods from his childhood, cornbread.  Now I’m not as awesome as his grandma who makes it lined with bacon in the bottom of the pan (though I will have to try that someday!), but this cornbread, fresh out of the oven with a bowl of hot chili or really any thick tummy-warming stew will take the chill off of just about anything.

So for me on a cold Winter’s day, chocolate is my cure.  For my husband, it’s cornbread. :) What’s your favorite chilly Wintry food?

Cornbread, take 2

Also submitted to – Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays and Gluten Free Wednesdays

Gluten Free Sweet Pepper Cornbread

Adapted from Gluten Free Mommy – only slightly adapted, increased the corn meal ratio, changed the GF flour mix, increased sugar, added cheese and red peppers.

Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: around 20 min

• 1 cup  GF All purpose flour mix (whatever is your favorite)
  • 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tbs. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 5 tbs. butter, melted
  • 2 eggs, room temperature, beaten
  • 1 cup milk, heated to room temperature (or at least not super chilled)
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (actually I used Sbrinz)

1.  Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and sat in a mixing bowl, and preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Use 1 tbs. of melted butter to grease your baking pan (mine was about an 8’x10″ casserole dish) and set in the oven while you finish prepping the batter.
3.  Add the rest of the butter, eggs, and milk to a medium bowl and use a whisk to combine.  Then add the wet ingredients directly to the dry ingredients, and stir until just mixed.  Stir in the red bell pepper too.
4.  Take your baking dish out of the oven and pour in your cornbread batter.  Use a spatula to even it out if you need to.  Cover the top with grated cheese.  Bake about 20 min. or until passes the clean knife test.

Sara January 22, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Thanks now I have to have some chocolate!

Jenn January 22, 2011 at 11:44 pm

haha yeah the chocolate was really good :)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats January 22, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Yay for Caillers. They have some of my former distinct favorites (the whole gluten-intolerant, dairy-intolerant, sugar-avoiding thing put most of my Swiss chocolate eating to an end) and I am so glad you got to visit them. Don’t those chocolateries smell amazing. Amazing.

Great looking cornbread :) :)

Jenn January 22, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Some of the Swiss brands are ok for gluten free, but not Cailler… I’ve been really pleased with the labeling though, so it’s usually really clear if a chocolate bar should be off-limits for my husband or not. I had a lot of fun, and yes the smell was wonderful. I need to move to that town just for the aroma floating through the air :)

Rosa January 22, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I love your wintery pictures! Nothing better than a slice of warm cornbread after a walk in the snow!

Jenn January 22, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Thanks Rosa! Cornbread out of the oven is perfect for snowy weather!

GFree_Miel January 23, 2011 at 3:04 am

Mmmmmm chocolate…and cornbread! So warm and yummy. I could go for some now! In he winter my go to food is mac and cheese.

Jenn January 23, 2011 at 6:58 am

I haven’t made mac & cheese yet this year, definitely appropriate for the Winter!

Lisa@bakedinmaine.com January 23, 2011 at 6:17 am

I’m soooo excited to try your delicious and healthy cornbread!
It looks quick and easy to bake.

This will be PERFECT to serve with my spicy chicken chili…..

Jenn January 23, 2011 at 6:59 am

Thanks Lisa! Ooh that spicy chicken chili sounds awesome!

InTolerantChef January 23, 2011 at 10:45 am

What can I use instead of cornmeal? It’s not something we typically use over here. Maybe instant polenta?

Jenn January 23, 2011 at 11:27 am

Hmm, instant polenta may be too wet… you might have to play with the milk amount if you use an instant polenta…
Still not 100% sure it would work out, since in that case the cornmeal would be already cooked. Not sure what baking it would do to the consistency…

Kim January 23, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Ooh…this cornbread looks & sounds amazing! I can’t wait to try this out!

Jenn January 23, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Thanks Kim, hope you enjoy!

pierre January 23, 2011 at 4:21 pm

hi jenn
I just love the photos but here in Paris winter is back !!!
Cheers from France !!!
Pierre de Paris

Jenn January 23, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Thanks Pierre! Yes, Winter is back indeed….

Maria Dsouza January 23, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Hey Jenn,

Awesome Recipe… cool pics……..I loved to see Ice there guess its chilling to glory…… Keep up the good work . I am surely gonna try your lovely recipe.

Jenn January 23, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Thanks!! I hope you enjoy it!

Lacey @ dishfolio.com January 24, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Looks delish — and great photos, too!

Jenn January 24, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Biz January 25, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I love cornbread but haven’t made it in ages – and I’ve seen it twice today so I think I need to! When I worked in Chicago I used to go to Heaven on Seven a minimum of twice a week for their jalapeno corn bread – perfect balance of sweet and heat!

Jenn January 25, 2011 at 9:34 pm

oh I would love to add jalapeños to cornbread… I actually have a somewhat difficult time finding them in Switzerland – will def. have to make a “sweet and heat” version when I am in the States next though, sounds great!

Christine January 26, 2011 at 12:45 am

My husband loves to make cornbread muffins and they are sooo good. I can only imagine how amazing these are with the cheese on top!

Jenn January 26, 2011 at 4:44 am

Cheese is def a welcome addition to cornbread in our home :)

art and lemons January 26, 2011 at 2:47 am

Oh, thank you, thank you! I’ve been waiting for this post…cornbread is my year-round comfort food. I just made a gf southern-style loaf last weekend with buttermilk and honey.

Jenn January 26, 2011 at 4:45 am

Buttermilk and honey? Oh that sounds lovely! Do you still use baking powder then or would you switch to baking soda like when making buttermilk pancakes? I bet buttermilk makes them rise quite nicely :)

Linda January 26, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Cornbread is a great cold weather comfort food. I like the addition of red pepper. I’ll try that next time.

Jenn January 26, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Thanks! Yes, wonderful comfort food :)

Wendy @ Celiacs in the House January 26, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Only you could make cornbread look this good and sound even better. Putting the sexy in the cornbread post. :)

Jenn January 27, 2011 at 12:05 am

lol, thanks Wendy!

Ago January 28, 2011 at 8:13 am

I’ve to try your cornbread, it looks fantastic! Beautiful pics!!! .-D

Jenn January 28, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it!

Paul February 1, 2011 at 4:25 pm

The recipe looks great … but your pictures and story-telling are so enjoyable, thanks for the excellent post!

Jenn February 1, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Amanda Metner August 5, 2011 at 4:45 am

I’m fairly new to GF so I’m wondering if I can just use rice flour in this recipe. It’s all I have handy. Do you think that would work, or will I need to add something else? Please let me know! Thanks so much for sharing all of these wonderful recipes!!

Amanda Metner

Ashern, Manitoba, Canada

Jenn August 5, 2011 at 7:33 am

Generally I would shy away from using only rice flour in gluten free recipes – I find they work best when they are a combination of flours…I usually like to use at least 3 flours, where one is a starch. Hope that helps!

carrie November 5, 2011 at 10:24 pm

This is absolutely the best cornbread ever! In place of the red bell pepper, I added about 1/2 cup of corn and about a tablespoon of diced jalepeno peppers (from a jar). I baked it in my 12″ cast iron skillet rubbed with a little bacon grease instead of the butter. Yum, yum, yum. I’m here to make another batch to go with my pumpkin soup tonight but I’ll leave out the jalepenos this time. Thank you so much!!!

Jenn November 6, 2011 at 1:05 am

Thanks you so much! Your additions sound awesome :)

Rick December 4, 2011 at 7:34 pm

When lining the bottom of the Pan with bacon, is the bacon pre cooked or uncooked?

Jenn December 4, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I’m not 100% sure as I haven’t personally made it that way, but I think my husband’s grandmother fries the bacon first and then in the baking pan she pours the batter over the bacon before baking.

Gloria December 18, 2011 at 3:32 am

Thank You for sharing your great cornbread recipe. After it cooled from baking i cut it into cubes baked it until toasted then made cornbread dressing for Thanksgiving it turned out great. Today I made two more batches cubing, toasting and into the freezer. I am going to use them for in my homemade soups, croutons for salads, and dressing for Christmas. I am fairly new to gluten free and this sure makes me feel better about the baking. Thank you again. Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Jenn December 18, 2011 at 7:08 am

Thanks so much, I’m glad you enjoyed it! I love cornmeal based recipes because I think they lend themselves very well to converting to GF. I love the idea of making a stuffing out of cornbread, I will have to try that sometime. Have a wonderful holiday!

Anna December 29, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I made this cornbread last night but instead of milk, I used 1 cup of buttermilk. It was so good! My husband has never really been a huge cornbread fan and he told me about 10 times how good it was. I also did not include the pepper. Great recipe. Thanks!

Jenn December 29, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Thank you so much! Adding buttermilk sounds perfect :)

Rachel January 29, 2012 at 2:22 am

I made this cornbread tonight and it was delicious!!! The texture was also really nice, not crumbly at all. I did substitute a flour combination for the rice flour and added just a bit of xanthan gum. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I will definitely be making this again.

Jenn January 29, 2012 at 11:03 am

Thanks !!

Amanda January 31, 2012 at 12:46 am

EXACTLY the recipe I was looking for…except I didn’t really know what I was looking for….but this is it. Definitely. :)

P.S. Is there no way to add you to my Pinterest board so I can find you again easily? Error message says it can’t see any pictures on the page. Not sure if it’s a blog setting, but I thought since you watermark your images, they can’t be stolen, and it may get a lot more readers to your site if they were able to “pin” you to their Pinterest boards. (I clicked on the images also, but Flickr doesn’t allow pinning either. :(

Jenn January 31, 2012 at 8:53 am

thanks so much! Hmmm my guess is pinterest is being buggy. I usually have no problems pinning from flickr and I know my stuff has been pinned before… sorry wish I could help!

'becca February 8, 2012 at 3:10 am

Ive looked for a GF corn bread recipe & found it. :) We like it sweet, so I added a little extra sugar. I used garbanzo bean flour & rice flour & almond milk…yum! It was the perfect with chili & a fire on a chilly night. We crumbled it in the chili, topped it with butter & drizzled it with honey…mmmmm! Kindly,

Hattiebea Stuart February 13, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I can not thank you enough for the wonderful corn bread recipe! Now if you could tell me a GOOD gluten free cake recipe I would be in heaven! Thank you again!

Michael Owen February 18, 2012 at 11:40 pm

does any one know an cornbread recipe without any flour?

Jenn February 21, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I believe some versions of Southern cornbread use only cornmeal (no flours), but I haven’t tested any to be able to give a recommendation, sorry!

Carrie Bellue February 21, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Michael, I haven’t tried this but it looks good and has good reviews:

Dhyana February 24, 2012 at 1:58 am

this recipe was perfect for when my gluten free friend came to supper as i don’t typically bake gluten free — i left out the peppers and parm and instead drizzled the top with honey and then sprinkled with cinnamon — AHHH-mazingly delicious — thanks so much

Inawe March 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Dear Jenn,

I was cruising the web, looking for a gluten-free corn bread recipe(rice bread makes me want to vomit) and I found this photo….. *The landscape takes on a rather colorless hue as the permanent gray sets in* I was instantly struck with a feeling of beauty and peace.
this is a photo that holds massive feeling. I put it on my FB page and it immediately evoked the same response. If this seems like just another day in your back yard,, think again…it is beyond grand.

in awe…

Jenn March 28, 2012 at 9:59 pm

thank you so much!!

Milo Henry Williams July 18, 2012 at 3:07 am

Yum . I love it!

Kerry August 28, 2012 at 6:48 pm

I have never eaten or baked cornbread in my life. It doesn’t seem to be massively popular in Scotland but this is the yummiest thing I have ever eaten, My whole family loved it!

Jenn August 28, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Awesome, that’s so great to hear!