Savory Buckwheat Groats Breakfast with Spinach, Sausage and Celeriac

by Jenn on December 10, 2010

in Breakfast,Budget,Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Meats

PAG_0225a A Savory Buckwheat Groats Breakfast
My husband is an 8 year old boy trapped inside a near 30 year old body (eek we are getting old!). It’s one of his most endearing qualities, because he is so completely expressive and playful with everything.  He never lost his childhood wonder about the world (even when he tries to act like a grown-up), and I hope he never does.  With that comes his major sweet tooth. The man would eat cookies and cake for breakfast every day if I let him.  My last buckwheat breakfast of pure sweet maple fruity heaven? You can probably guess that one was mainly for him, and all the pears, currants and maple syrup really made it taste like a warm comforting morning candy delight – it certainly brought me back to my childhood memories of piping hot oatmeal :) But that same morning, while the snow laid unmelted on the streets and the Alps were capped in their familiar white vestiges, I cooked for myself a different sort of breakfast.  A savory one, with spinach, celeriac, sausage and eggs.

View from Interlaken

While I enjoy candy for breakfast as much as the next person, I thought giving a savory one a try would be something a little different.  Though my husband may be the pure embodiment of “child at heart”, I am often “Ms. Serious”.  Sometimes it’s really a struggle for me to just let go of pressures of work, every day life, limited ability to connect with our families and other impending stresses, even for a short period of time (remember how I said I need to give myself 15 minutes during the day to relax?).  I envy my husband at times, because he knows how to still “be a kid” when the opportunity allows – and lately I feel I’ve lost that ability, the realization of which only makes it that much more difficult.  So in my “grr I don’t want to be an adult anymore but don’t know how not to be” funk, I’m not always feeling in the mood for sweet candy breakfast memories of my childhood.

A savory buckwheat groats breakfast

I think, for the morning, I actually liked this better – I know, how could I say anything negative about sweet milk, maple, pears and currants? Well I can’t.  This is just different.  I won’t say much about the flavors of the dish, I think the ingredients can speak for themselves.  This is a twist, shall we say, for those of you that might be looking for something a little less candy-like in the morning but will still “stick to the belly”.  Good for days when you feel like being a grown up.  But also good for days when you still feel like a kid at heart :)

PAG_0688

Yes, making two different complete buckwheat breakfasts in one day meant lots of leftovers. Trust me, cooked buckwheat groats reheat very well.

Rosa December 10, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Lovely portraits and photos! You are not old. Being 30 isn’t as terrible as it seems… ;-P

That is a great breakfast dish. Healthy and so satisfying!

Jenn December 10, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Thanks Rosa! I’ll remember that about 30 :)

Carol, Simply...Gluten-free December 10, 2010 at 2:39 pm

You are really working that camera! And may I just say, your hubby is adorable :)

Jenn December 10, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Aww thanks Carol!

christine December 10, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I have to say that I’m a bigger fan of savory in the morning than I am of sweet, and this looks very tasty. I’ve been living GF for less than a year, and I’m always looking for ways to change up the routine. It’s been quite a process transitioning, but one that’s been fun and life-changing in a great way. Love your pics and your blog. Ditto on the adorable hubby comment ;)

Jenn December 10, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Thanks so much! Yeah this was totally new for us too, we’ve been enjoying the buckwheat breakfasts though :)

Heather December 11, 2010 at 12:22 am

I thought I was the only one married to an 8-year-old boy! The good news is that the boy is still with me at 39. I have a feeling he’ll be with me well in to our 80′s. What a blessing it is for those of us who take life so seriously to be married to guys like that. Enjoy every playful moment!

Jenn December 11, 2010 at 11:02 am

Yes, a blessing indeed – thanks :)

InTolerantChef December 11, 2010 at 11:15 am

I wish I could relax and stop being a grownup for a while sometimes too, but I draw the line at candy for breakfast. Cold gluten free pizza is OK for breakfast, but not candy:)

Jenn December 11, 2010 at 11:17 am

Mmm but pears and currants and maple syrup taste so good! Though I have been in a more savory mood of late, this seems to be fitting the bill rather well :)

Sophie December 12, 2010 at 10:01 pm

What a scrumptious & nutricious breakfast!! That must be filling!!

I love your husband’s smile!!!

Jenn December 13, 2010 at 8:09 am

Aww thanks! I do too :)

Amanda S. December 14, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I love this recipe. Celeriac is a winter vegetable staple. The years’ that I’ve done winter CSAs or farm shares, I’m pretty much guaranteed a steady of them. Now I’ve got a great recipe to use it in. Thx.

Jenn December 15, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Oh great, hope you enjoy!

Andra@FrenchPressMemos February 2, 2011 at 4:55 am

Maybe husbands of women like you…and I…have an easier time relaxing. Maybe we see through the someone jealous lens of our own inability to do the same and we give them more credit that it is due. My husband does the same- he’s pushing 39 and he goes into playfulness with no effort. It’s a nice skill that I can’t say I picked up from him yet!

Jenn February 2, 2011 at 8:12 am