Our Gluten Free Christmas Dinner – Maple-Brined Pork Roast

by Jenn on December 28, 2010

in Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Meats

PAG_0076roast

Joyeux Noël à tous!  Ok, I’m a little late, but I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and/or a very happy Holiday season.  I am sharing the grand finale of our three course Christmas dinner – the main plate – a maple-brined pork roast.  My husband had been asking for me to cook him a roast, and after our great results brining over Thanksgiving we both decided we needed to brine again – though this time we went with pork instead of poultry.  Pork lends itself to brining very well, and pairs especially with sweeter flavors, so I got to use one of my favorite flavors ever (which I owe to growing up in beautiful New England) – maple syrup :)

This was not my first Christmas thousands of miles apart from my family and friends, but it was our first Christmas together while thousands of miles apart from our family and friends after moving to Suisse and living en Europe.  So far, each holiday I’ve spent “abroad” has brought with it its own share of adventures, but this time was different because my darling husband was with me.  However, the time leading up to Christmas it was still difficult to distract ourselves from the thought of not spending a holiday filled with what should be long-standing traditions with family.

We didn’t feel like moping about in our home though, so decided to make a different sort of Christmas – one that would allow us to take advantage of our awesome location and ability to see new cultures with just a quick short trip.  The idea that such different ways of life exist in such a small space is a totally exotic concept to us as Americans.  While there are differences in cultures and heritage among regions of the U.S., most everyone speaks the same language or two, and one can easily find the same stores, the same restaurants, the same patterns of what to expect when arriving at a new city.  Here, however, all it takes is one short little train ride and we are in a totally different country, totally new to us language, new architecture, and a city that has no cars, just boats speeding through narrow canal-ways that divide up the island that is Venezia.

Burano

So we had a slightly different (and still adventurous – more detail and photos to come!) holiday this year – which is why we made sure to enjoy our homemade Christmas dinner a full week before – afterall, these traditions must still happen sometime, and nothing is more romantic than a cozy evening for two watching the snow fall enjoying a three course meal made with love :)

Course 1 – pan-roasted truffled almonds
Course 2 – roasted tomato soup
Course 3 – maple brined pork roast (below)

Also submitted to – Slightly Indulgent Tuesday and Gluten Free Wednesdays

Rosa December 28, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Lovely recipe! Surely very flavorful and enjoyable!

Venezia is a great destination.

Happy New Year, Jenn!

Jenn December 28, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Thanks Rosa! Yeah we had a lot of fun in Venice – great wine, tasty food, fun people :) Wishing you a bonne année aussi!

Iris December 29, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Happy holidays, Jenn! Lovely photos as always!

Jenn December 29, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Thanks Iris, hope you had a wonderful holiday as well!

Gluten Free Diva December 29, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Brining is suddenly on my radar screen, so your recipe couldn’t have come at a better time. I’m glad you got to see Christmas through the eyes of another country. Helps us walk a mile in other people’s shoes when we share in their culture and customs.

Ellen
Gluten Free Diva

Jenn December 29, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Thanks! I’m not so sure we celebrated Christmas in a traditional Venetian way, but we did eat some great food and meet some really wonderful people!

InTolerantChef December 29, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I love maple sryup too. It’s incredibly expensive here, but worth every cent. I’m glad you had a nice Christmas with just the two of you, and exploring another culture sounds like a fun way to spend the holidays.

Jenn December 30, 2010 at 12:34 am

Oh gosh I imagine it is expensive, you are even farther away from the land of maple syrup than I! But I agree, definitely worth every cent :) Thanks for the well wishes, it was a fantastic Christmas – now I just need to figure out how to make all the wonderful food we had!

Stephanie (of Stephanie Cooks) January 2, 2011 at 3:34 am

I have to tell you, your food photography is so beautiful. It could be in cookbooks- you have such talent. I just read through your tutorial page and bookmarked a lot of the links. This is something I’m really working on. Thank you for the inspiration.

Jenn January 2, 2011 at 3:36 am

Oh thank you Stephanie! Your words are too kind, really! I hope you find some useful links in the tutorial page – they’re pretty much how I learned everything I know :)