Homemade GF Fettuccine with Chanterelle Cream Sauce

by Jenn on October 21, 2010

in Dips and Sauces,Gluten Free,Pastas and Grains,Vegetarian

Homemade GF Pasta Dinner

Where would Autumn be without chanterelles?  I cannot believe that it was only a couple short years ago in grad school that I first came across this awesome mushroom, and have fallen in love with it ever since.   But then I tend to fall in love with lots of produce – in the Summer it’s strawberries and apricots and peaches, in the Spring asparagus and peas…oh and we can’t forget pumpkin in the Autumn and Winter months as well.  That’s not such a bad thing, is it?  To go nuts finding as many tasty ways to use one incredible gift of nature?  I don’t think so ;)

Chanterelles have been in season for a while now.  I remember squealing with excitement when I first saw them at the market back in late August.  I love using them for normal mundane cooking – toss them into an omelette, into risotto, or on pasta… elegant ingredients tend to have a way of transforming minimalist dishes into rich luxurious meals – totally my style.  Speaking of which, I really heart pasta.  If I could, I probably would eat some type of it every day.  My absolute favorite is homemade egg pasta, which I taught myself how to make thanks to the wonderful Marcella Hazan and her fabulous cookbooks on Italian cooking.  Converting the typical pasta recipe to gluten free is actually not so hard, though over time I did change things from the basic one in her book in order to make it a bit easier to incorporate the extra eggs needed.  And what better way to enjoy one of my favorite mushrooms than to share them as one of my favorite dishes?

So today I am sharing with you a simple homemade pasta dish, gluten free, with a simple wine and cream sauce.  Don’t feel like making pasta yourself? That’s ok, you can cheat, I won’t tell.  But trust me, if you do make your own, you won’t regret it!

Oh and one little news bit…the results of my last poll are in!  Nearly 100 of you voted, and it looks like 80% of you lovely readers are gluten free and 20% are glutenicious.  I’m glad to know that I have a mix, and that you all can find tasty ideas here – one of my long-term goals is to show that it’s really not so difficult to convert a dish one way or the other (most of the time), and as I learn how, I’ll definitely make sure to share with you!  I have a new poll up now, just check out the sidebar – it’s one of those “check all that apply” types – I’m just curious, what do you like best about Jenn Cuisine?

Ok enough of my prattle about polls, let’s cook some food!  Specifically with one of my favorite types of mushrooms.  If you see fresh chanterelles, don’t pass up the opportunity to try them, and don’t worry if you don’t have some fancy shmancy dish to make them with.  I like to use them in place of regular button mushrooms, and just enjoy their awesome flavor.  Comfort food with chanterelles.  It’s not an oxymoron, really :)

Hallie @ Daily Bites October 21, 2010 at 11:16 pm

This looks lovely! You’ve inspired me to overcome my fear of chanterelles… :)

Jenn October 22, 2010 at 8:03 am

Thanks Hallie! They really are lovely once you try them!

Squeaky Gourmet October 21, 2010 at 11:45 pm

looks and sounds so wonderful–thank you for the pasta recipe as well!

Jenn October 22, 2010 at 8:05 am

Thank you! It’s hard to write the actual measurements because I really go by feel a lot with the pasta, and the egg/flour ratio needed will change depending on the flour mix you use. Just go until you get a solid ball of dough and you should be alright, and take care to keep it from drying out – those are the most important things.

Rosa October 21, 2010 at 11:46 pm

That dish looks succulent and so beautiful! I adore mushrooms. Yummy oh!

Jenn October 22, 2010 at 8:05 am

Thanks Rosa! I adore mushrooms as well!

Magic of Spice October 22, 2010 at 1:53 am

I love chanterelle mushrooms, lovely pasta dish :)

Jenn October 22, 2010 at 8:06 am

Thank you!

Deanna October 22, 2010 at 2:31 am

I’m trying to learn to like mushrooms and haven’t explored different types at all. Chanterelles are good you say, eh? Might have to see if the farmer’s market has them around here.

Jenn October 22, 2010 at 8:08 am

What have you tried and how have you had them? When I first met my husband, he didn’t like mushrooms either. So when I used them I would dice them up very small just to be able to incorporate their flavor without any texture. Then once he learned he really did like the taste, we graduated to more and different kinds of mushrooms featured in more prominent ways – and now he loves them. But add butter, cream, wine, and garlic, and you really can’t go wrong :)

Shirley @ gfe October 22, 2010 at 3:42 am

I have yet to try chanterelles, but what a gorgeous dish, Jenn. Just lovely. :-)

Shirley

Jenn October 22, 2010 at 8:09 am

Thank you Shirley!

elly October 22, 2010 at 5:30 am

The chantarelle cream sauce looks a-maz-ing. YUM.

Jenn October 22, 2010 at 8:09 am

Thanks Elly!!

Kocinera October 22, 2010 at 5:35 am

Every bit of that pasta looks deeelicious! I’m always meaning to try chantarelles, but have trouble finding them at my regular grocery store. I’m thinking some serious searching (read: driving another ten minutes to another store) is in order! :D

Jenn October 22, 2010 at 8:11 am

Hmm good luck! They are everywhere here en Suisse right now… if you find some definitely try them!

GFree_Miel October 22, 2010 at 6:07 am

Ohhhhh my gooooodnessssss!!!! Your beautiful photography of delicious food reduces my brain to mush!

Jenn October 22, 2010 at 8:12 am

Awww thanks Miel!!

Lori October 22, 2010 at 9:59 am

I’m always wondering what to do with chanterelles, this looks great!

Jenn October 22, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Thanks Lori!

Valérie October 22, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I adore chanterelles! They’re really hard to come by here in Montreal, but I was able to get my hands on some during a recent trip to Europe. Your pasta looks delectable!

Jenn October 22, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Oh awesome! Yes I remember them being hard to find in the States too, I love how abundant they are here en Suisse!

Leslie October 22, 2010 at 5:24 pm

That looks so decadent and rich!

Jenn October 22, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Christine October 22, 2010 at 6:59 pm

I’ve never had chanterelle mushrooms before. (gasp!) Maybe I should try to find some and make this as it looks delicious.

Jenn October 22, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Yes, definitely try them if you get the chance, thanks!

InTolerantChef October 24, 2010 at 7:41 am

Thanks for the super simple pasta recipe. The sauce sounds lovely too, but we can only get dried chantarelles here and they are super expensive!

Jenn October 24, 2010 at 9:37 am

You’re welcome! I am sure you could sub in your favorite fresh mushrooms that are available to you though and you’d still end up with a lovely sauce. I have no clue what mushrooms are available in Australia…

noosh. November 2, 2010 at 2:32 pm

hi there! do you mind sharing what flours you used in your flour mix? i’ve tried gf pasta recipes before but the flour combo just didn’t work out well. thanks!! :)

Jenn November 2, 2010 at 4:50 pm

This particular pasta I used Schär Mix B. Other pasta recipes I’ve made have included at least 50% starch content (potato starch, tapioca, arrowroot, etc.), such as this tortellini that I made last year at Thanksgiving, which actually had an even higher starch content. What flour mix did you try using and in what way did it not work well? It may be that your mix just needed a little tweaking, or maybe your recipe didn’t have a good ratio of dry to wet ingredients, fat content, etc.

noosh. November 2, 2010 at 5:14 pm

i don’t remember what the flour combo was… i would have to look up the recipes but i mixed it myself. i don’t think it was that high in starch though. the problem was that it was kind of thick and gummy once it was cooked. rolling it out it looked great though!

Jenn November 2, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Hmm. Starches have potential to make things gummy too…for fresh pasta I generally only cook it the minimum time required and make sure to roll it out rather thin… If you find the recipes that you used sometime I’d love to take a look!

noosh. November 2, 2010 at 7:07 pm

thanks- i’ll look around for them! :)

alex anderson March 27, 2013 at 5:37 am

I appreciate your pasta recipes for the non gluten aspect. But adding starch to a GF pasta recipe just maintains the pasta’s poor glycemic index/load profile. The main reason to avoid pasta is simply because it is just “sugar” disguised. Although your recipes for pasta may be delicious, I believe they are not very healthy and food should strike a balance between “form and function” or taste and nutrition.

A. Anderson MD

Jenn March 27, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Thank you for your reply. This is a great reason as to why I never claimed to be a “healthy” blog :) We don’t eat gluten free for a nutrition-related reason or to cut carbs, we eat gluten free because gluten makes my husband very very sick. My “best guess” just from my rudimentary understanding of nutrition is that if one is worried about glycemic load then it is probably preferable to just avoid pasta dishes altogether. I don’t purport to know anything about health as I am neither a medical doctor nor a dietitian or nutritionist, nor is this blog meant to be a pinnacle of health. This is why I have the disclaimer at the bottom of the site:

“Disclaimer: I am NOT a licensed medical professional NOR am I a certified nutritionist. This site is NOT meant to be used in place of medical advice. You are responsible for your own consumption of foods. Consult a licensed medical professional before making any dietary changes. Contact manufacturer to inquire about allergy risks in specific food products.”

Jenn Cuisine is merely a gluten free cooking blog – you can read more about my approach to this blog on my About page. If you have figured out a recipe for gluten free pasta that is free of starches of course I am open to trying it out. I guess it’s a good thing that at least we aren’t eating cupcakes every day! :)