Autumn Flavors – A Collection of Recipes

by Jenn on October 26, 2010

in Gluten Free,Photography,Tastes

PAG_2193tree2

It is finally  Autumn.  The air spirals out of chilly noses in the mornings wisping into swirls of steam as children hurriedly rush to school.  I’ve got my mug on my desk always filled with tea and a bit of honey, and there is that renewed sense of energy that everyone gets when the lazy days of Summer are over.  The leaves are yellow and orange, one last burst of colorful energy, desperately trying to hang on to the unforgiving branches of the trees.  We are in the last few days of glistening in the sunshine before the long gray Winter decides to take up residence for a while on the edge of our little lac, nestled up against the already snow-covered Alps.

And I am officially becoming homesick again.  Growing up in New England, Autumn was my most treasured time of year.  The leaves changing turned our bright green cheery forests into a firestorm of color, glowing sunny yellow and fire-engine reds down onto the ground below us.  Living in the hills of New England in the Fall is akin to living inside a kaleidoscope, and all it takes is the slightest twist of the wind to shower down the rainbow of colors around you, turning dying leaves into sparkling ephemeral jewels floating in the air as if in a fairy land.

Chocorua Camping Village, New Hampshire

Switzerland is very beautiful, don’t get me wrong.  And the Autumn has been gorgeous.  But it’s not New England Fall.  It’s not trips to the local family orchard with my sister and her boyfriend, nor is it camping with my parents’ crazy puppy in the mountains.  It’s not hanging out at the local bar to watch the Pats games, or allowing  maple sugar candy to linger on my tongue after a visit to the local cider mill, the sweet maple bliss slowly dissolving and ushering in sweet childhood memories with my grandmother – she would always tell us the same story about how she used to own a motorhome every time we passed by the same old abandoned one on the familiar road…  And it’s not celebrating the holidays with our parents and closest loved ones who are currently an ocean away.  Sometimes Skype just doesn’t do justice to moments that are meant to be shared in person.

Connecticut

Connecticut Orchard Happiness is...

But life en Suisse is about new memories, and I’m loving it as well.  I’m actually starting to feel that familiar comfort every time I see the SBB railway stations that dot the landscapes…

La Gare St. Maurice

And those mountains.  I don’t care if I see them every day, it will never be enough to absorb their grand majesty.  They are gorgeous from across the lake:

_PAG4693chillon

But they are even more amazing up close:

_PAG4088ski2

And then of course, there is the food.  Cheeses I never knew existed, and fondue I only dreamed of before I came here.  Oh and did I mention chestnuts?  Our new weekend tradition is to pick up a bag of marrons chauds, our numb fingers eagerly breaking open the shells, staining our hands with charcoal-black from the few that got roasted a little too long…

PAG_0295gruyere _PAG2273chestnuts

So maybe my Autumn memories can blend together, the new with the old.  Cherishing the familiar long established traditions while constantly finding new and exciting ones to share.  This Autumn, I wanted to share some of the recipes I’ve made Jenn Cuisine that feature my favorite flavors of Fall.  Maybe they are comfort foods you grew up with, or maybe there’s something new you’d like to try.  It’s always a balance, the aged versus the thrilling unknown, but I am finding I like it best when I have a little bit of both around in my life.

*Note – updated to include the latest recipes on Jenn Cuisine!

Squashes:

Cider Brined Roast Turkey
Poached Apples with Frangipane Cream
Mini Apple Pies, Gluten Free
Apple & Fig Pork Loin Roast
Vanilla Riesling Poached Pears
Salad of Gorgonzola Stuffed Poached Pears

Hope you enjoy making some Fall favorites this Autumn season!

Miriam/The Winter Guest October 26, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Beautiful post.

Jenn October 27, 2010 at 8:31 am

Thank you!

Rosa October 26, 2010 at 11:17 pm

I can imagine that fall here is not at all the same as fall in New England. Anyway, I am glad that you are enjoying your stay here and that there are things you have discovered and taht you now love…

Gorgeous shots! I love the ones of the snowy mountains.

By the way, this year autumn is pretty chilly.

Jenn October 27, 2010 at 8:39 am

Thanks Rosa! Yes, Fall is different here, but that is a good thing :) If things were too similar then I think I would get homesick more often…. And I love exploring and finding new things to fall in love with here en Suisse! I love the chilly air, and it has been a beautiful Autumn!

Adina October 27, 2010 at 6:37 am

Love all the pumpkin and squash recipes! That really seems to be one of the best things about fall, I can’t wait to try some of them!

Jenn October 27, 2010 at 8:33 am

Thanks Adina, I hope you enjoy them!

Cherine October 27, 2010 at 8:17 am

Great post!!

Jenn October 27, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Thanks Cherine!

Stormy @LaMaoomba October 28, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Thanks for the great list!

Jenn October 29, 2010 at 10:33 am

You’re welcome :)

bake in paris October 29, 2010 at 6:13 am

You are so blessed….. being so closed to the Nature and its beauty…

Love your post so much, especially when it paused my mind for a second and reminded me of my sweet memories surrounded by family members… Just love your writing! And pictures are just breathtaking!

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris

Jenn October 29, 2010 at 10:37 am

Yes, I truly am blessed. Thanks so much for the lovely compliments Kris!

InTolerantChef October 29, 2010 at 1:06 pm

I can’t get over those mountains.. who needs TV when you stare at that all day….

Jenn October 30, 2010 at 12:32 am

I know it’s wild, isn’t it?? I still can’t get over those mountains, and I can see them every day….

Kim - Cook It Allergy Free October 29, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Jenn, you live in the most phenomenal setting. Those pictures are absolutely breathtaking. You are one lucky lucky woman!
And thank you for those awesome round-up of your autumn inspired recipes. I am thinking I just may give the pumpkin chestnut tortellini a go. I have been wanting to try them for a while and this is the first weekend in a while that we do not have a million things planned (other than trick or treating on Sunday night).
Just this collection of recipes shows how truly talented and creative you are!

Jenn October 30, 2010 at 12:38 am

Thanks so much Kim! Oh if you try the tortellini let me know what you think!

Selena Cate November 2, 2010 at 4:47 am

I spent 4 years living in England as a new bride to my British husband. In some ways those were the hardest and loneliest days of my life. Yet now that I am back home in the states, there are things that are distinctly British about me. Life in England changed me in subtle ways that I wouldn’t change for anything. And I appreciate so many things after living abroad. Things many Americans take for granted.

Jenn November 2, 2010 at 7:26 am

I don’t think I’ve been here long enough to have changed yet, though I am told I am developing an accent, even though I don’t see it :) It has been such an amazing and fantastic experience so far, I can’t wait to see how our story unfolds…

UrMomCooks November 2, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Lovely post and pics! Also fantastic recipe list! (You still are having a beautiful fall compared to those of us over here in Texas!)

Jenn November 3, 2010 at 7:40 am

Thank you so much!

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite November 7, 2010 at 2:17 pm

What gorgeous photos Jenn – love this post… Sounds like you are definitely assimilating into your life en Suisse and succeeding at creating wonderful new memories. I am glad we are along for the ride too! And re: those mountains? I could look at them every day too.

Jenn November 7, 2010 at 3:08 pm