The Gluten Free Husband Makes Breakfast Quesadillas

by Jenn on May 23, 2010

in Breakfast,Budget,Gluten Free,Meats

PAG_0823quesadilla

Hello everyone!  Well I am back for a second installment of “Holy crap my husband can cook” on Jenn’s blog!

Breakfast. It’s probably one the hardest times for a gluten-free person to find something really tasty to eat.  I know it is for me.  Every time I go to the store to get foods for breakfast I am faced with cereals, meuslis, oats, pastries, and several other extremely flavorful (but ultimately glutenicious) items that I know I can’t even think about eating.  For this reason, I have been trying to come up with breakfast items that I could make that would inspire me to once again look forward to eating in the morning (a cup of yogurt gets old REAL quick).

The idea for these quesadillas came very quickly to both Jenn and I in one of those moments where you just look at each other and say, “Wow, we really have to make that.”  We were talking about how much we liked the enchiladas that we had made, and I had recently come up with the bright idea of frying tortillas in a pan, salting them and devouring away (not the most sophisticated meal in the world but you would be surprised how satisfying it really is, especially accompanied with fried halloumi cheese).  Then, I don’t know who started talking first, but we began asking things like, “What if we put cheese, cured meats, an egg and a few other breakfasty items between two tortillas and then fried them in butter?”  If your mouth just started watering, then you just had the same reaction I had as well.

Jenn and I do this all the time.  One of us will think about something and the other will just say we have to try that – but we never really said anything out loud.  For example, last week we were on the métro coming home from work.  The train was pulling into the stop where one of our favorite quick and tasty Asian cuisine restaurants is located, and one glance at each other later we were exiting the métro and on the way to tasty food.  No words needed.  We did this all the time in grad school too.  It doesn’t always have to be overly romantic, but it’s an amazing feeling when you have such a strong connection with someone that you don’t really need to say everything that’s on your mind – the other person just gets it and knows exactly what you’re thinking.  And then, when you combine that with cooking, the meals that are created can be some of the most beautiful things you could ever imagine.  While not exceptionally fancy per se, this is how breakfast quesadillas were born, and that alone makes them all the more fun to cook.

Also submitted to – Gluten Free Wednesdays

Rosa May 23, 2010 at 10:39 pm

You are a lucky woman! That one lovely breakfast dish. Mouthwatering!

Jenn May 24, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Yes, I most certainly am, thanks!

Helen (Fuss Free Flavours) May 24, 2010 at 11:33 am

They look lovely. I love being cooked for.

Can he have rice flour? Have a look at the egg hoppers on fingerandtoes’ blog. They are super yum!

Ryan (The gluten-free husband) May 25, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Yes, I can have rice flour. The egg hoppers look very good. We will have to try them. I’m always looking for new recipes to try out.

Aubree Cherie May 24, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Wow, these look good. And very impressive Sir! I might have to pass this information on to a certain significant other of mine :)

~Aubree Cherie

Ryan (The gluten-free husband) May 25, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Thank you for the kind words. I hope you guys enjoy it.

Linn @ Swedish home cooking May 25, 2010 at 9:46 pm

That sounds very interesting, I’ve never made gluten free bread before but I definitely would like to try!

Ryan (The gluten-free husband) May 25, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Actually there is no bread baking needed! You can just use corn tortillas, which you can choose to make yourself or purchase.

gfe--gluten free easily May 26, 2010 at 3:09 pm

Wow, these look phenomenal! Terrific job, Ryan. :-) I’m all about non-traditional foods for breakfast. I really don’t miss cereals, etc. I’ve gotten used to leftovers and the non-traditional, but delicious foods like these. Although I admit, my husband is not making them for me. ;-)

Lovely post re: your connection, too. I find that true with my own husband. Even after 28 years of marriage, it’s pretty cool!

Shirley

Ryan (The gluten-free husband) May 29, 2010 at 12:42 am

Thank you. I’m all about what tastes good, not necessarily what is supposed to be breakfast foods.
Yeah, having that kind of a connection is an awesome thing.

kaela May 26, 2010 at 11:29 pm

my fav is natures path, organic Buckwheat (wildberry) frozen waffle with lots of PB & cut up banana–quick & easy– to start eating quick after waking up!!!

Ryan (The gluten-free husband) May 29, 2010 at 12:43 am

Sounds like a great breakfast. We like to make pancakes and waffles a lot too.

Linda May 27, 2010 at 7:23 pm

That looks delicious! I’m dairy free now so I might have to fry the tortillas before filling since there will be no cheese to hold them together, and I think I will sub olive oil for the butter. It still sounds great though.

My husband really cannot cook so I’m always impressed by those who do. :)

Ryan (The gluten-free husband) May 29, 2010 at 12:45 am

Even if you don’t use cheese, it is still a great meal. There has been a few times when we have just eaten fried tortillas by themselves.

Zoe @ Z's Cup of Tea June 10, 2010 at 2:39 pm

I will say, once again, this looks so incredibly good! I am rhapdodic about it! I am going to make sure that I eat this for breakfast in the very near future. Thanks so much for sharing, Jenn! :)

Shree June 25, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Jenn is such a lucky lady :))) Its so nice you love to participate in deciding what to cook and making your own creations Ryan.