Simple Snack – Beet Chips

by Jenn on May 26, 2010

in Budget,Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Photography,Snacks,Vegetarian

PAG_0522chips

You either love ‘em or hate ‘em.  Remember last Winter how it was the coolest (or uncoolest) thing ever to wear big furry suede boots of a certain unnamed brand and tuck your jeans in them? Chances are people either thought you were either rocking them like a cute little ski bunny or that you looked freaking ridiculous.  But no matter if you actually wore them or not, you’ve no doubt seen someone with them and have a pretty solid idea if they were awesome or terrible.

That’s exactly how beets are – they are possibly one of the most polarizing foods I know, and everyone has an opinion about them, good or bad.  We both happen to be part of the “beets are freaking awesome” camp, but are always looking for new ways to eat them besides in salads, our usual choice.    I just love their earthy, almost “umami” type of taste – they add an extra dimension to the flavor profile of just about any dish.  So when I came across this recipe for baked beet chips by Joelen of Joelen’s Culinary Adventures, I knew it had to be next on our list of yummy delights to try.

However, I will give you one word for the wise if you want to make them.  If you don’t already own a mandoline or are very well practised in your knife skills, now would be the time to remedy that.  With no mandoline and knife skills that would surely fail any test in culinary school, it was quite difficult to slice all of the beets evenly and thinly, and so I had to really babysit them while baking, to keep rotating and turning them so that they all crisped.  Eh, it was only a little extra work, the results were still awesome!  This is a perfect replacement for potato chips, and we had them with some gluten free adapted lentil burgers topped with tomato, egg, and sprouts.  I still need to tweak the lentil burger recipe a bit, maybe mix in some pesto or something with it.  But the beet chips? Absolutely perfect!!

Now that Summer is on its way, it’s daylight til nearly 9 pm and temperatures have been reaching the upper 70s this weekend, I will be making these more.  For such a meaty heavy vegetable, the chips are light and would accompany a variety of summery dishes.  If I weren’t so tired from being out of shape during our hike last weekend, I totally would have been up for making them again.  Because seriously, can life get any more gorgeous than this?  How can anyone not want a great light snack like beet chips after climbing and seeing these beautiful sights in the Jura?

PAG_1163_0_2_1_tonemapped2

PAG_1236_7_5_4_tonemapped2 PAG_1226_4_7_5_tonemapped2

Next time I think I will make a lightly dressed salmon salad on top of some fresh greens from the market to serve the beet chips with…oh I have lots of ideas!  If you’re looking for a new fun snack with beets or trying to convert someone from the “other” side to that of beet loving pleasure, then this is the way to do it!

What are you craving during this warm beautiful weather?  What are your favorite summery snacks?

Also submitted to – Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays

Rosa May 26, 2010 at 10:30 pm

Those chips are delicious! I love beetroots. Great landscape shots, wow!

Jenn May 27, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Thanks so much Rosa!

Merkel May 27, 2010 at 12:49 am

FYI they are terrible. All other opinions are wrong by default.

Merkel May 27, 2010 at 12:56 am

The shoes I mean, not the beets.

Jenn May 27, 2010 at 1:55 pm

haha…I figured you were talking about the shoes…

Judy May 27, 2010 at 7:21 am

I love beets. :) What a creative way to cook and eat them. Beautiful!

Jenn May 27, 2010 at 1:55 pm

Thank you!

Joe Ambrosino May 27, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Yes. I would salt them out of the baking pan to give them a”potato chip”feel, or how about frying them? Do you think that would fly?

Jenn May 27, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Yes, I think salting is definitely key, not just cause salty chips are tasty but because it complements the beet flavor. I’ve never tried frying them, but I bet that would work out really well too. My frying experiences usually end with a mess all over the kitchen so it’s not something I do often, but I’m sure they would be delicious that way!

Jess "Klutzy Chef" May 27, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I couldn’t agree more on the mandoline bit. I l-o-v-e terra chips, but buying them here becomes an expensive habit, so I thought I would make my own. Even slicing was difficult. More difficult was stomaching a couple of the ones that became a little too “crispy” along the edges. Note to self: burnt beet chips=nicht so gut.

P.S. We served out with a caramelized onion yogurt dip for a party starter. It was a big hit.

Jenn May 27, 2010 at 5:55 pm

oh yeah, I can imagine burnt chips not being too awesome! A caramelized onion yogurt dip sounds perfect to serve them with!

Melanie May 27, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Fantastic analogy.

Jenn May 27, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Ha thanks!

Wendy May 27, 2010 at 4:43 pm

You know you have to be very careful with Terra Chips if you are Gluten Free because they are not made in a gluten free facility. I was so devastated when I found that out.

So I’m willing to try making my own beet chips. I had some a friends house years ago, but hers weren’t crispy enough and they tasted dirty. Some of them were good, but most were kind of icky.

I still haven’t tried Kale chips. How behind am I.

But those shoes…Ick! And they’d where them here in NC when it was so not cold enough, I always thought, Oh how those things must stink, because you know their feet were way too hot! Now if you were a little snow bunny, in the snow, ok. but any where else? Why?

Jenn May 27, 2010 at 5:59 pm

haha I never saw them when it was warm out…that is really funny! Ok I’ll admit I did try them on (gasp!), but then quickly realized that I am no snow bunny.

I have tried kale chips, but wasn’t too much of a fan. For me kale is one of those vegetables that has to be hidden in other things before I’ll like it…but most everyone else I know raves about them!

The Duo Dishes May 27, 2010 at 6:23 pm

If only there was a mandolin in the kitchen…this would be easier to do! Beets are awesome. Toss those beet chips with kale chips, and it’s a party. Now that the warmer weather is here, big cravings for fruit salsa run high. Preferably mango!

Jenn May 27, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Mmm mango salsa is one of my favorites! I have to agree on the fruit salsas!

Iris May 27, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Oh my God, I can’t believe you live there! So lucky!

Beet chips sounds awesome to me! I never really loved potato chips growing up, but all these new veggie chips? Right up my alley!

Jenn May 27, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Well I do admit to liking a few certain potato chips, but they are fun to make homemade too – especially cause you can flavor them any way you want :) Yes, I am unbelievably lucky! I can’t wait til our next hiking trip!

Iris May 27, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Oh my God, I can’t believe you live there! So lucky!

Jenn May 27, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 27, 2010 at 11:17 pm

OMG – beautiful Jenn! I buy these but maybe I should make them!!!

Jenn May 27, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Thanks Mardi! Yes, you should make them!

Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite May 27, 2010 at 11:17 pm

OMG – beautiful Jenn! I buy these but maybe I should make them!!!

Jenn May 27, 2010 at 11:20 pm

Thanks Mardi! Yes, you should make them!

Jenn May 27, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Mmm mango salsa is one of my favorites! I have to agree on the fruit salsas!

Meeta May 28, 2010 at 2:38 pm

wow! what gorgeous pictures. i love beet chips keeps me company often while catching my fave flicks on tv LOL!

Jenn May 29, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Thanks! ha that sounds like a perfect occasion for beet chips!

Meeta May 28, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Jenn May 29, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Thanks! ha that sounds like a perfect occasion for beet chips!

art and lemons May 28, 2010 at 5:05 pm

As for beets, I’m in the love ‘em camp, especially beet chips! About my favorite summer snacks, I would have to say frozen grapes…

art and lemons May 28, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Jenn May 29, 2010 at 8:43 pm

oh I love frozen grapes! They are awesome to use instead of ice cubes in a fruity drink or iced tea!

Katerina May 29, 2010 at 7:04 pm

I love beets, especially roasted and in salads. That is one of my favorites. I haven’t tried making them as baked chips, that is a great idea!

Jenn May 29, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Mmmm roasted beets are one of my favorite ways of eating them!

Katerina May 29, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Jenn May 29, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Mmmm roasted beets are one of my favorite ways of eating them!

Alta June 1, 2010 at 6:01 pm

These sound awesome! I’ve had fried beet chips before, but these would be a bit healthier. And might be a way I can get my beet-hating husband to eat beets! Gorgeous photos by the way.