Maple Buckwheat Chocolate Chip Pancakes, Gluten Free

by Jenn on April 17, 2010

in Breakfast,Gluten Free,Photography

PAG_5376pancake2

There was a time once while I was young, when very briefly I thought my sister was nuts for asking my dad to put chocolate chips in her pancakes.  ”Chocolate chips and maple syrup? Yuck!” Well, let me emphasize the briefness of that thought – maybe for half a second or so, until I realized my sister was a genius.  She converted my whole family to chocolate chip pancake lovers, and maple and chocolate perform a harmonious symphony that allows the taste buds to dance and rejoice as if heaven had literally shown itself right then in that single glorious moment.

This may seem like an obviously awesome combination to you, but how many dishes do you see blending maple and chocolate together?  I for one do not see many – in fact I cannot even remember a time when I tasted these two flavors at once that wasn’t at breakfast.  It’s a shame really, because I think chocolate and maple tastes a lot better than current foodie fads such as chocolate and bacon.  In my mind bacon needs a sweet fruit like strawberries to counter the salt and fat, not chocolate.  But that may just be me.  But chocolate and maple? Perfect.  Especially a dark chocolate which lends just a hint of bitterness.

These aren’t dark chocolate chips, but they are still good.  Along with peanut butter, my sister-in-law gave us a ginormous (yes, that’s my new word) bag of chocolate chips.  It’s so funny to me that I cannot find them in a store here because well, the major company that makes them is only a skip and a jump away….  And then the crushed hazelnuts and pistachios added for a nice dimension, a little bit of texture and the nuttiness offset the very sweet quite well.  And after all, who doesn’t love candy for breakfast?

Gluten free pancakes are easy.  In fact, I will be so bold to claim (as I have before) that gluten free pancakes are better than their glutenicious version.  Gluten actually impedes the fluffiness of a good pancake, and I have to say ever since we started making pancakes gluten free they’ve been freaking fantastic.  You can add virtually whatever gluten free flours you want for whatever flavors you are craving at that particular moment in time.  This time I wanted buckwheat.  So I just used my normal pancake recipe, added in some buckwheat flour, some maple syrup, and enough buttermilk to get the right consistency, et voilà! Perfect pancake batter!  I think even my sister would approve :)

Photography note – it was a ton of fun getting a pic of these pancakes.  I wish I had used a little larger DOF (and als0 that PS Elements let you rotate in smaller increments than entire degrees so that the syrup being poured could be perfectly vertical), but you really only get one try to get a shot of maple syrup pouring down on pancakes (Ok 2, we had two plates).  To do this, my husband poured the maple syrup while I took pictures in continuous shot mode.

pancakes

And then they were quickly devoured :)

Also submitted to – Go Ahead Honey It’s Gluten Free – Breakfast in Bed Edition by Naomi of Straight into Bed Cakefree and Dried

Gluten Free Wednesdays

GFree_Miel April 17, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Oh my god those look so amazing. I’ve been seeing a lot of pancake recipes lately and I want to try all of them so badly. I have a feeling I’m going to be eating a lot of pancakes this summer once I’m home from school. These are definitely added to the list!

On a side note, I definitely agree with you on chocolate and bacon. Not the best combination. When I was a kid though, I used to eat my chocolate chip pancakes with whipped cream and strawberries. Yum!

Jenn April 19, 2010 at 7:45 am

Mmm whipped cream and strawberries sounds perfect with chocolate chips!

Rosa April 17, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Those ooey gooey pancakes look terrific! I love those droolworthy shots!

Jenn April 19, 2010 at 7:46 am

Oh thank you! Ooey gooey is the perfect set of adjectives for these pancakes indeed!

Aubree Cherie April 18, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Oh my goodness – you’re killing me. I need one now! haha. Seriously though, these look so amazing. The photos are absolutely stunning as well!

~Aubree Cherie

Jenn April 19, 2010 at 12:38 pm

thanks! You should go make pancakes :)

Valérie April 18, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Wow, chocolate and maple, a killer combo! I love the pic, it looks… festive, somehow.

Jenn April 19, 2010 at 7:47 am

Ha the festive must be from my purse – I used it as the background!

chocolate shavings April 18, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Those look amazing, and I love that action shot – great photo!

Jenn April 19, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Thanks! Getting the “action” shot was a lot of fun!

Nastassia (Let Me Eat Cake) April 18, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I just found your blog through tastespotting and love it! i can’t wait to visit more often. Me and a friend recently tried buckwheat and banana pancakes but somehow they were too thick. i will give you recipe a go for my next buckwheat pancake adventure!

Jenn April 19, 2010 at 7:49 am

Thanks! You can always add more liquid to a pancake batter to thin it out – either buttermilk, juice, maple syrup, honey…To be honest this addition is the only difference between my pancake batter recipes and my waffle recipes – I just adjust the consistency to suit what it is I happen to be making at the time.

Winnie April 19, 2010 at 2:01 am

That is an unbelievable photo Jenn! Those pancakes look seriously amazing.

Jenn April 19, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Thanks! there were a lot of fun to eat too :)

Valen April 19, 2010 at 2:45 am

These look fantastic!!! I have been making SO many gluten free pancakes lately that I think I’m becoming one! I haven’t made a gluten free pancake using starch for many years. I try to limit it, plus mine never came out fluffy. I really enjoy this recipe http://gingerlemongirl.blogspot.com/2009/12/whole-grain-yeasted-pancakes-recipe.html

Make it often and I usually add some oat flour and 2 mashed bananas, they are about 1 inch thick (fluffy) and are to die for!

Jenn April 19, 2010 at 8:00 am

Interesting, I am a big fan of this starch:flour ratio for pancakes – though I don’t think it should affect the fluffiness, just the texture. The fluffiness should all be from the bicarbonate (i.e. baking soda/powder) producing little bubbles when activated by the acidity of the buttermilk – Maybe in the past the recipes you used didn’t call for enough baking soda or have an acidic component? I dunno. That link you posted looks delicious though!

Shirley @ gfe April 19, 2010 at 2:50 am

You make a girl who usually loves unconventional breakfasts (think leftovers) want this twist on a conventional breakfast right now! I’m thinking 9 pm snack. ;-) No, I won’t do it, but not because I don’t want to. I loved chocolate chip pancakes back in the day, but haven’t had them since going gf. I sure love the looks of these though. Understatement. You take THE BEST photographs!

Oh, and BTW, ginormous was accepted into the dictionary a few years back and it seems it’s been around longer than we think:

Shirley

Jenn April 19, 2010 at 7:50 am

haha good to know! I will use “ginormous” more often then!

Andre @ CocoaSensations April 19, 2010 at 2:59 am

This looks so delicious and its gluten free. The photography is really amazing as well as the presentation.

Jenn April 19, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Oh thank you!

Ellen Allard April 19, 2010 at 3:07 pm

These look great. My daughters used to love chocolate chip pancakes and I never quite understood until I tried it. Now, I’m a convert. I love adding the buckwheat to the mix – gives it a little heft. I just ground my own buckwheat flour from raw buckwheat groats (kasha) and it came out beautifully! I’m going to give it a try this morning in your pancake recipe. Thanks!

best,
Ellen

Jenn April 19, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Wow I am impressed that you ground your own buckwheat flour! Kudos to you!

naomi April 19, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I think maple and chocolate are a natural combination too – although you could throw in some bacon and a wodge of fleur de sel caramel if you were uber trendy.

The photos are absolutely stunning! Thanks for joining in.

x x x

Jenn April 19, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Haha that would be funny, pancakes of all the food trends all at once! I’m sure there are lots of chocolate & maple lovers out there, it should be the next big trend!

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free April 19, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I’ve been making lots of pancakes lately – buckwheat is one of my favorite ingredients to use. It adds an earthiness I love. I agree with everyone else – beautiful photos!! I wish I could just cook and tell everyone about it and skip the picture part. Ugh.

Jenn April 19, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Oh thanks! For me, the pics are half the fun! I also love buckwheat – this weekend going out to eat I had some buckwheat galettes that were out of this world…

Stella April 19, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Hey Jenn, I love buckwheat pancakes, and these look better than anything I’ve seen thus far in the buckwheat realm! I also just bought a nice, big bottle of organic maple syrup, so I’m probably going to make these for my Cauldron Boy (we’re kind of trying to avoid gluten for the next couple of weeks to see if this helps his digestion problems-we can’t figure anything else in reference to them since we keep an organic, low to no meat kitchen)???

Jenn April 22, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Thanks! I hope he likes them!

Linda April 22, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Beautiful photos, Jen. I like using buckwheat, too. And I agree with you on the bacon/chocolate. Maple syrup and chocolate are a much better combination.

Jenn April 23, 2010 at 10:11 am

Thanks! Yes, I think we should all create maple/chocolate dishes, and make it the new trend!

Linda April 22, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Jenn April 23, 2010 at 10:11 am

Alissa June 21, 2011 at 1:48 pm

What beautiful photos! I love buckwheat flour, maple syrup and pancakes so i’m sold!

Jenn June 21, 2011 at 8:23 pm