Carrot and Avocado Salad

by Jenn on April 29, 2010

in Budget,Dairy Free,Diabetic Friendly,Gluten Free,Salads,Vegetarian

PAG_0191carrots
I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I’m freaking in love with avocados.  Like, I could eat one every single day and never ever get tired of them.  Despite living in the North East, I grew up on avocados.  My mom is from California and loves avocados almost as much as I do, so we had them a lot as kids.  One thing I love is how versatile their flavor is – if you thought they were only for making guacamole you are very mistaken!  They work in so many different cuisines, let alone are awesome just cut up raw with some salt & pepper.  Here are just a few ways that I’ve made dishes involving such a cool fruit:

Shrimp and Avocado Salad
Shrimp Salad with Ceviche Spirit
Endive Salad with Blood Orange, Avocado and Radish
Daring Cook’s Challenge #7 – Sushi
Salsa Chicken – a Family Original Recipe
Chicken Teriyaki Sushi
Chile and Cilantro Guacamole
Quinoa and Black Bean Bake with Mozz. and Avocado
Pan-Seared Marinated Tuna

Hmm, can we say I’m addicted much? haha.

Today, I’m sharing with you a recipe I found via twitter.  One of the things I love about twitter is the instant communication with so many awesome people, especially in the gluten free and foodie community.  Just last week Elana of Elana’s Pantry was asking for slaw recipes, and I suggested my Asian slaw which she made and posted about!  That totally made my day because she is one of my gluten free “idols”.  I have yet to make a recipe of hers that I didn’t like!

After realizing that I had inadvertently made my shrimp & avocado salad like 4 days in a row, I decided to ask the twitterverse what their favorite recipes were.  I needed a new way to eat avocados.  Noëlle of Simmer Down mentioned to me her recipe for carrot salad served in an avocado half, and I knew this was what I had to make. Not only do I love raw carrots and mustard, but there’s also avocado (obviously haha)- woohoo!  Ah the wonders of twitter, because of twitter we can all learn about fun and tasty foods to make :)

I adapted Noëlle’s recipe only slightly and used some awesome Dijon mustard that we bought in France, which is also probably the spiciest mustard I have ever had in my life.  I never knew mustard could be so potent, until we opened this jar – but in a good way I assure you!  Dijon mustard is awesome for cooking with sausage with too, but now I am digressing….so go enjoy this salad – if you get some great spicy dijon mustard, this is a perfect way to use it – and yay for another awesome avocado recipe!

noëlle April 29, 2010 at 9:37 pm

So glad you liked it! I love the addition of the raisins and hazelnuts. That’s the great thing about salads, they can be endlessly tweaked. Oh and I agree about Twitter being a great resource in that way.

Jenn April 30, 2010 at 8:49 am

Thanks so much for sharing! And I totally heart finding new awesome recipes and foodies on twitter :)

Sondi April 29, 2010 at 10:38 pm

Wow, what a great idea! How did you get the avocados out of their skins so nicely? I always have trouble with that.

Jenn April 30, 2010 at 8:51 am

To skin the avocados, I slice them in half and remove the pit, and then I take the largest spoon in my flatware – the big huge soup spoons, and slide it back and forth in between the meat of the fruit and the skin until the entire half just comes out. It helps to have really ripe avocados too – if they are too firm it will be a bit more difficult – I’ve also had a lot of practice because apparently I am an avocado fiend haha :)

Lauren April 30, 2010 at 4:22 am

That is the cutest salad! I love that it’s self-contained :).

Jenn April 30, 2010 at 8:54 am

Thanks! Oui, cette salade est très mignon :)

Cherine April 30, 2010 at 1:40 pm

I love avocado too! This salad looks awesome!

Jenn May 1, 2010 at 12:50 am

Yay for more avocado lovers!!!

Marissa April 30, 2010 at 7:06 pm

Oh that looks SO pretty! I think my boyfriend will love this recipe.

Jenn May 1, 2010 at 12:50 am

Thanks! I hope he likes it!

Anna May 1, 2010 at 12:39 am

I just bought 16 avocados today. They were on special $ for $1.00
I could and do eat them daily. My favourite way to eat them is split in half, stone removed, and filled with balsamic vinegar. I also love making Guacamole. One recipe which I intend to try this week is avocados pureed with chocolate to make a mousse. Yum! Loved your Salsa Chicken this week and made another variation on your slaw recipe today. Coconut Slaw: Shredded Cabbage, Carrot and Brussel Sprouts mixed with a couple of tbsp of coconut milk and topped with raisins and dried coconut…Thanks for the continued inspiration. Adding you to my blog roll :D

Jenn May 1, 2010 at 12:53 am

Wow that’s an awesome price!! I’m so glad you liked the salsa chicken! Ha when my parents came to visit us last my husband requested it of my dad, even over here in Europe :) Your chocolate mousse and coconut slaw both sound great! I’ve never combined avocado & chocolate before, but the avocado would bring a good texture I think to make a vegan mousse – let me know how it comes out!

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free May 2, 2010 at 6:44 am

I just let 3 avocados go bad. I know…why did I do that??

I have pureed chocolate and avocados and I highly recommend that everyone do it at least once in their lifetime. In fact, I grabbed the 3 avocados to puree them with chocolate today and realized I’d let them sit a little too long. So I bought some more. Will puree again soon.

Jenn May 5, 2010 at 5:31 pm

3? that is a crime indeed! Do you add anything to the puree besides chocolate and avocados?

pierre May 2, 2010 at 5:42 pm

hi jenn I have just heard on the radio that avocado even greasy was a very good thing for health as iti s a good grease so let’s go for it !! Pierre de paris

Jenn May 5, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Yep, avocado is full of very healthful monounsaturated fat and lots of nutrients :)

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) May 3, 2010 at 2:12 am

I love the use of avocado as a bowl for this yummy salad!

Jenn May 5, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Aubree Cherie May 3, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I can’t get enough of avocado’s either. I love your list of recipes here, you’ve made some very tasty looking (and creative!) things. I wish I had an avocado tree :)

~Aubree Cherie

Aubree Cherie May 5, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Hey Jenn,

I love love loved this! So simple and awesome. I could eat avocado’s everyday if I could :)

I wanted to let you know that I linked this to My Fav (Top 10) Recipes from Last Week!

~Aubree Cherie

Jenn May 5, 2010 at 5:38 pm

haha sometimes I wish I had an avocado tree too – thanks for the mention, I’m glad you liked it!

Ricki May 5, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Not only does that sound delicious, it looks beautiful! I’m with you about adoring avocados (there’s one on my kitchen counter patiently waiting to be put into a smoothie as I write this), but I can get caught in a rut sometimes and repeat the same 3-4 recipes over and over. This one looks like a great new dish to try! :)

Jenn May 5, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Thanks! What type of smoothie are you going to make out of it?

Lauren May 5, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I’m there with you on eating more than my share of avocados. I stopped myself short of planting a tree in my own yard because of the daily temptation being to great.

Jenn May 5, 2010 at 5:42 pm

hehe too funny – sounds like we could start an avocado fan club!

C and C Dish May 5, 2010 at 5:21 pm

What a fantastic idea, I love this…this looks so delicious, I will definitely have to give this a try!

Jenn May 5, 2010 at 5:42 pm

great! Can’t wait to hear what you think!

Joy May 5, 2010 at 11:17 pm

That is a great recipe. I never used avocado in this manner. I can’t wait to try this.

Kim May 11, 2010 at 2:02 am

Jenn…this looks so good!!! I can’t wait to try it!

rich April 14, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Amazing! I needed a purpose for my carrots and avocados but wondered how to combine them. I had all the ingredients but the nuts & raisins. Instead of of putting the mix in the avocados I sliced them and put them in a ring on a plate around the carrots. I’m a vegetarian newbie and this was really good. Thanks.

Jenn April 14, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Oh great, I’m so glad you enjoyed it!