Spanish Inspired Pizza, Gluten Free

by Jenn on March 17, 2010

in Gluten Free,Meats

_PAG4399pizza

Yes, we finally have a pizza crust that works.  We’ve made pizza once a week ever since finding out, and my husband for one has been ecstatic about the whole idea.  He’s so good, because I always buy and bring home these crazy combinations of food, and he puts so much trust in me that the end result will be not just edible, but actually tasty.  This particular combination was not really much of a stretch, but I haven’t seen too many pizzas using all these ingredients together – chorizo, a parsley pesto sauce, tomatoes, olives, and instead of mozzarella, manchego cheese.  If ever there was a Spanish word for the Italian saltimbocca (translates to “jump in the mouth”), I think this pizza would fit the bill.  Bright, vibrant, fresh, and rich are all words that instantly came to mind when I first bit into this creation.

And the crust?  Oh it was perfect.  I don’t mean to brag (OK, maybe I do) but I mean, absolutely PERFECT.  It’s not for Chicago deep-dish styles, but as a thin crust it’s spot-on.  Crispy on the bottom yet still soft in the middle, lots of great flavor from the amaranth flour, and it held together enough to even be able to go all “American style” and eat each slice with your hands!  I have tried to curb this habit of eating everything with my hands that is possible to be handheld – apparently in the land where people use civilized utensils for everything it makes you look a bit umm… barbarian.  But for this pizza?  Well we weren’t out in public, so no one but each other saw the flavorful juices dripping down our faces as we voraciously tore into a food that was a such a treat for us both – for my husband because gluten free pizza is a rare thing indeed, and for me because well I don’t go getting pizzas all for myself when my husband can’t eat any.  No need to completely torture the poor man…

This crust was an adaption of my adaption of my adaption of a gluten free pita bread recipe.  I’m trying to decide if that’s enough adaptions.  Can this be my gluten free pizza crust recipe yet?

How exactly is my version here different from the original?

• I altered the starch to flour ratio, changed some of dry ingredients used and their proportions
  • Changed fat from butter to olive oil
  • Changed the binding agents – no xanthan gum, only 1 egg
  • Added in a 2nd rising time
  • No extra sugar in the dough
  • Lowered the baking temp significantly
  • It’s prepared as pizza dough, not pita bread.

What do you think? Are these enough changes?  When can you claim a recipe as yours?  The general rule of thumb is 3 major changes.  I find this a rather difficult determination when it comes to GF baking, there are so many ingredients with such varying chemistry – it’s hard to know which change is major vs. minor.  I’m curious as to your opinion, and as you can see I referenced all my previous adaptions and the original just in case!

_PAG4373pizza _PAG4379pizza

Also submitted to – Gluten Free Wednesdays

Stephanie March 17, 2010 at 3:37 pm

This sounds fabulous! I love the spanish spin on it and I am going to pass this crust recipe on to my gluten free friend. I love your new look by the way!!

Jenn March 17, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Oh thanks! I’m still working on tweaking the look a bit, but I’m glad I finally got rid of my ugly header! If your friend tries the pizza I’ll be curious to know what she thought of it!

Valérie March 17, 2010 at 4:51 pm

It’s great that you’ve found a pizza dough recipe that works! And those toppings are mouth-watering!

Jenn March 17, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Yes I was so excited! I’ve made some decent gluten free pizza doughs before from other recipes I’ve found online, but this is by far my favorite :)

Alta March 17, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Wow, yum! I’m proud of you and your pizza crust! I haven’t tackled one from scratch yet – Pamela’s works well, and I just don’t make pizza all that often. I really feel inspired to do so now, though!

Jenn March 17, 2010 at 9:17 pm

Thanks!! I haven’t found any mixes here, so if we wanted pizza it was going to have to be from scratch – nothing like necessity to spur creativity!

Erin March 17, 2010 at 8:19 pm

I’ve never made gluten free pizza from scratch, but I am definitely trying this! The toppings look amazing as well!

Jenn March 23, 2010 at 12:02 am

Thanks! Expect the dough to be a bit more fragile than a glutenicious dough :) If you make it let me know how it comes out!

fibrohubby March 18, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Looks yummy!!

Linda March 18, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Great job! Your pizza looks great. I know how it feels to finally find a crust you’re really happy with. Thanks for sharing this on Gluten-Free Wednesdays.

Jenn March 23, 2010 at 12:03 am

Thanks!! Yes it is so incredibly satisfying to come up with a good GF recipe!

Leah March 19, 2010 at 6:06 am

Oh, MAN that looks good.
I have some chorizo wallowing in the fridge, so I think I’ll try this recipe.
I agree with you that it’s confusing–when you can call a recipe yours, and when are you ripping of the author? I think it kind of depends on the recipe, but that’s not very helpful, is it?
As for eating with your hands–I agree with you that things taste better when eaten with your hands. As far as pizza goes, I think it’s kind of strange when people eat it with utensils. My favorite thing to eat with my hands, though, is cake. That’s why the cupcake craze is pretty cool.

Jenn March 23, 2010 at 12:03 am

Oh yay, another person who likes to eat with their hands :) Yes, cupcakes are very cool. I have not really ventured into GF cakes/cupcakes yet……someday…

smilinggreenmom March 21, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Fantastic looking pizza!! Wow, I must make this :) Our family loves pizza and I have really enjoyed having the kids in the kitchen with me and helping to make our own crust and everything else. We like experimenting with toppings and we have found too that Kamut Khorasan Wheat is really good. You can use the flour in the dough of course, not as a topping lol! It is not gluten free but there are actually people with gluten intolerance that can eat it since it is an ancient wheat! I just thought I would mention. Anyway – yummy!

Jenn March 23, 2010 at 12:17 am

Hmm interesting – while I appreciate you leaving your comment, I’m not sure I understand your logic of why being ancient would cause gluten to react differently – from what I know about khorasan it is only a relative of wheat and *may* be suitable to *some* with a wheat allergy. A gluten allergy or celiac disease is different from a wheat allergy however. Even the company you are speaking of says right on their site that those with celiac should not eat this grain. My husband does not want to needlessly risk having a reaction just to try it out.

Lindsay September 21, 2010 at 12:08 am

Hi Jenn, this looks great! I have been on the hunt for that perfect gluten-free pizza crust… I can’t wait to give this a try. I do have a quick question, though. I’m not too familiar with the size(s) of jelly roll pans. Would a large cookie sheet be a good substitution? Or maybe a 9×13 dish (not really intended for pizza… I’m just trying to figure out what size pan would be appropriate for the amount of pizza dough). If you have a minute, I’d appreciate your advice. Thanks!!

Jenn September 21, 2010 at 6:20 am

Thanks! I’d say 9 x 13 is a good approximation…ha sorry I can’t be more specific given that my toaster oven is probably made in metric units! The main thing is to spread out the dough to about 1/4″ thick, and I found it easiest to do if I could contain it in a pan. Good luck, I hope you like it!!

tafino November 19, 2011 at 12:36 am

Jenn, as spanish only I can congratulate you. Olives and chorizo two tipical products of my country and delicious food. Well done!