Chocolate Soufflé

by Jenn on February 26, 2010

in Cookbooks,Desserts,Gluten Free

_PAG4024souffle

Hi.  I’m Jenn and I am a chocoholic.  I eat chocolate every day.  I love dark chocolate that isn’t very sweet.  In fact, the higher the percentage of cocoa solids in chocolate, the better as far as I am concerned.  And next to eating delicious chocolate, I love to cook with it.

To conclude our Valentine’s dinner, we decided to make chocolate soufflés after I found out the shocking information that my husband had never eaten one before.  ”Are you kidding?” Who has not enjoyed the paradoxically light and airy yet incredibly rich delight that is the chocolate soufflé?  My jaw dropped to the floor.  To correct this problem, I immediately decided that we had to make soufflés for Valentine’s Day.  I’d never made a chocolate soufflé before, but I have made cheese soufflés and figured they couldn’t be that difficult.  In fact, they aren’t.  They just take some work.  Ok a lot of work.  Prepare for your arm to be quite sore from all the whisking afterwards.  In fact, take a couple weeks beforehand to lift some weights and develop those biceps.  Ok, I’m joking, but whisking constantly for a while does take some effort.  Don’t let that hold you back though, because the end result is totally worth it.  Like your world will come to a screaming halt and you will instantly be lifted to a higher plane of being upon taking your first bite.

Just make sure to serve them tout de suite before they start to fall!  My husband was laughing at me as I was frantically trying to take a couple of quick pictures.  In the picture above the soufflé had already fallen about halfway, but you get the idea.  Light and airy, dark and mysterious, all in one complex little dish.  Just wonderful.

_PAG4028souffle

Kristi Rimkus February 26, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I’ve always wanted to try to make a souffle. I’m going to give this a try. It looks like a delicious treat. Wish me luck, I’m not much of a baker. Love to cook, but baking . . .

Jenn February 28, 2010 at 9:29 am

@ Kristi @Jessica -

Do not be afraid, they are not that difficult! I don’t really consider myself much of a baker either, but really it’s all about getting the proportions right (and there is at least a little wiggle room because I totally changed the amts of sugar and chocolate from the original recipe). This recipe is pretty basic, my best advice is to invest in some really good chocolate – not the kind you’d find in any generic grocery store – the whole point of the souffle (in my mind) is to create such a beautiful light texture to be the backdrop to tasting a dark rich chocolate – so you want a chocolate worth really tasting :) Good luck, I hope it comes out!

Jessica @ How Sweet February 26, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I eat chocolate everyday, too, but more in the milk variety. :) I am so afraid of souffle’s! I would love to try one, though.

Valérie February 26, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I haven’t made a chocolate soufflé in a very long time… And now I’m wondering why! They are indeed stressful to photograph!

Bob February 26, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Those look wicked good. You know, I’ve never had chocolate souffle either. I’ve had cheese ones and lemon too, but never chocolate. This is a serious problem.

Lauren February 27, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Not sure when, but I’m going to try this. They’re gorgeous Jenn!

verO February 27, 2010 at 8:55 pm

I also LOVE chocolate and every day too. Believe my hips …
Ce soufflé est magnifique.
Bravo
Bien à toi
verO

Ellen Allard February 28, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Hi Jenn,

Lovely looking souffle! Amazingly simple too. Gluten free couldn’t get much better than this. And your pictures are great. I also got a new camera and my pictures have taken on a whole new look, though I’m holding out (not for much longer) for a macro lens. Just haven’t decided which one to get. Like you, I also have a Nikon (mine is a Nikon 5000) – could you recommend a macro lens?

Ellen

Jenn February 28, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Hi thanks!
I actually don’t have a proper “macro lens” per se, I have an 18-200mm that I use probably most of the time, and I have a 50mm f/1.8 which I got because it’s small which makes the camera more portable, and it was relatively cheap (about $120). I would love to save up for a lens where I can get a low f-stop and also have zoom function. So sorry I can’t really suggest a lens for you! But I would recommend checking out some of the pages linked to on my photography tips page, and you should see what lenses the pros are using. Good luck!

Lauren February 28, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Hi,

Souffle is so much fun to make. It does look intimidating but less so than a fully involved cake. I’m going to try making this recipe soon. Thanks
Lauren

Debbie February 28, 2010 at 11:19 pm

Easy recipe….love dark chocolate too!! my favorite!

Lucy March 1, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Whilst not a fan of cheese souffle, I know I would absolutely adore this. Its chocolate! Gorgeously light and airy…it invites you right in!

Kasey March 2, 2010 at 6:38 am

What a gorgeous picture! This looks light as air. P.S., hi, my name is Kasey, and I’m a chocoholic, too. Eat my dark chocolate every night with dinner :)

bake in paris March 5, 2010 at 6:28 am

Wow, I guess I need to set the camera on stand by like minutes before the baking is done to avoid the fallen effect :-) But fallen or not, your chocolate souffle is definitely tempting and delicious!

Sawadee from bangkok,
Kris

Linn @ Swedish Home Cooking March 7, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Oh, I didn’t know it was possible to make a blog with only chocolate souffles. I love it!