Shrimp Salad with Ceviche Spirit

by Jenn on February 9, 2010

in Dairy Free,Diabetic Friendly,Gluten Free,Seafood

_PAG3705ceviche

So Groundhog’s Day came and went this year, and the verdict was that we still had a good 6 weeks of Winter left.  I’m not sure if Punxsutawney Phil is accurate across continents, given that he doesn’t seem to have a great track record in PA either.  However, with impeccable timing, as soon as I read the story online, I looked outside the window and snow started falling, right on cue. Ok, I get it.  It’s not Springtime yet.  But I wish it were.  The soft pink and fragrant hyacinth in my living room wishes it were too.  But alright, I will accept that it is still going to be cold and snowy for a bit.  It at least gives me a chance to practice my balance skills down the walkway, which in the still-frozen mornings either becomes prime for skiing in your treadless worn sneakers, or if you are a klutz like me and can’t stay up, it turns into an awesome bobsledding ramp instead.

One of my favorite things about this time of year is how bright and cheery citrus is always readily available to remind us that it will be warm and sunny out soon.  I have been using a lot of these fruits lately, and seafood is one of those foods that just asks to be married with citrus.  There is just something about how it so readily takes up the bright tart flavor and how it enhances the taste so much that I just love.

I really wanted to make ceviche.  But after 3 trips to three different grocery stores already that day, I didn’t want to make yet another trip to the other grocery store to get it, and so settled for already cooked frozen shrimp.  I know, not ideal, and totally not the point of ceviche.  Ceviche is unique in that you “cook” seafood without ever actually applying heat.  The acid from the citrus will actually do the cooking – you may not believe it until you actually see it happen, but it really does – it works for shrimp and white fish as well.  It is wonderful, and if you ever get a chance to make it I really encourage that you do.  It’s quite easy, requires very little prep time, and the entire dish is a devotion those moments where you imagine yourself being whisked away to a sunny tropical place.

In the spirit of ceviche, I made this salad with shrimp and lemons, limes, and oranges.  I added the orange, while not in the recipe I based this off of, in order sweeten things a bit, and even threw in a tomato.  Just getting all of the ingredients out and seeing all the color together put me in a happier mood.

_PAG3690ceviche

I marinated it for a good hour even though the shrimp was already cooked, because I wanted to make sure that the shrimp really absorbed the flavor well.  It was surprisingly not as tart as one would expect for all of the limes and lemon used.  I think it would also be excellent if one chopped up the shrimp rather than serving them whole, and then scooped up the ceviche onto corn chips.  Speaking of which, it is a goal of mine to make tortilla chips one day – they can’t be that hard, and I just LOVE eating them when they are hot and fresh rather than made over a month ago and sealed in a bag.

However you decide, think about pairing seafood and citrus together, especially in February, when Winter feels like it will never end.  At least you can eat something that makes you feel like you should be somewhere warm and tropical!  What are your ways of beating the Winter blues?

Submitted to – What can I eat that’s gluten free?

Also submitted to – Go Ahead Honey, It’s Gluten Free

Cooking Rookie February 9, 2010 at 2:48 pm

A great salad and a beautiful picture!

Cooking Rookie February 9, 2010 at 2:48 pm

A great salad and a beautiful picture!

Alta February 9, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Love the photo of the veggies and fruit. Sounds yummy. BTW, making tortilla chips is so easy. Especially if you’re using store-bought tortillas. Just take a pizza cutter, cut your tortillas into wedges. Then take a frying pan and put like an inch of oil in it, and heat it to medium-high. Drop the wedges in, a few at a time, and let fry for like 15 seconds and flip, fry again for 15 more seconds. (more or less time depending on how thick your tortillas are) Remove and place on paper towels to drain. Salt. Or even yummier, season with salt and lime juice. MUCH better than bagged!

Jenn February 13, 2010 at 10:55 am

@ Alta – Oh that is simple! That’s great, we are totally going to make tortilla chips!

Alta February 9, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Stacy February 9, 2010 at 7:47 pm

You would think I was afraid of scurvy the way I have been chowing down citrus — and it’s not even cold here. It rained all weekend though so we compensated with some really fresh taco ingredients and margaritas. Instant summer!

We love ceviche but I never think to make it at home. This may inspire me!

Jennifer February 10, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Its been forever since Ive had ceviche! Beautiful photos!

Fire-Eyes Roth February 11, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Oh, this sounds wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing! The colors in the salad are gorgeous!
Live Laugh and Enjoy!
Fire-Eyes

Lisa February 12, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Oh, that sounds wonderful.
Tastes good and is good for you.
You can’t get much better than that.

Linda February 12, 2010 at 10:23 pm

Looks delicious! Thanks for participating in “What can I eat that’s gluten free?”

Christine March 2, 2010 at 2:45 am

Thanks for your entry in February’s GAHIGF! Your salad looks amazing and you take such beautiful photos! You can see the post here: http://withoutadornment.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/februarys-go-ahead-honey-its-gluten-free/ :)

Tracee March 2, 2010 at 7:08 pm

This looks amazing and delicious. With all of the different citris I bet this is so flavorful.