Beurre Blanc Poached Cod

by Jenn on February 23, 2010

in Cookbooks,Diabetic Friendly,Gluten Free,Seafood,Wine

_PAG3941fish

I’ve never been a big fan of Valentine’s -all those silly chalky conversation hearts that taste like Tums just don’t do it for me.  Most years it just feels like another “Hallmark holiday” – I mean, if you truly love someone, do you really need a special day during the year to tell them?  I follow the belief that you should celebrate love every day, no matter what the occasion :)

Maybe living far away from all of our friends and family changes that sentiment a bit though, because this year we both felt that we needed to properly celebrate Valentine’s Day.  We didn’t do anything extravagant or exciting, just a fun home-cooked dinner with some wine, staying warm together inside watching the Olympics while outside the sky teased us with hints of snow flurries.

What could be more elegant than soft, buttery cod that literally melts in your mouth with every bite?  No need for a knife with this meal.  That’s the beauty of poached fish – it is relatively inexpensive and so simple to make, but when done correctly can elicit such rich taste that you have to make an effort to tell yourself that you are not sitting in a 5 star restaurant.  This is not a traditional beurre blanc sauce.  Normally you would cook the shallots and reduce wine with vinegar, only adding in the butter off the heat to make it creamy and smooth.  For this, I did things a bit differently.  Shallots and thyme were sauteed in a lot of butter, and then wine was whisked in.  The filets were then poached in the wine and butter until soft and tender.  When I lifted them out of the pan they were already flaking apart beautifully, just the way cod should be.

To accompany the fish, we made spiced lentils out of my current favorite cookbook, Gordon Ramsay’s Maze. We ate here in NYC as a mini celebration for each other right after our anniversary, so it seemed perfect to make something that came from one of our favorite restaurants.  My husband made the crème fraiche mashed potatoes with rosemary and chives and brought out the chilled Sancerre, finishing the last component to the meal.

So while we are not big on the gushy gushy stuff, Valentine’s was the perfect excuse for making a decadent private dinner for us to share.  Love does not have to be said with big boxes of candy hearts.  Sometimes it can be said just by the act of cooking and eating together.

_PAG3925fish _PAG3955wine

Submitted to this week’s What Can I Eat That’s Gluten Free?

Alta February 23, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Oh my, this sounds amazing. And those lentils sound delicious too. Which reminds me – must make lentils this week, regardless of how the husband complains! LOL

Debbie February 24, 2010 at 4:33 am

I’m so impressed with the beauty and deliciousness of your blog. Thanks!

Carol Egbert February 25, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I agree with your sentiments about Hallmark Holidays. This so much more loving than something you bought.

Linn @ Swedish Home Cooking February 25, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Looks beautiful. I like your pictures. Gluten free food is great, I’m from Sweden and we love our starches too much… Please have a look at my online cooking show! :) Linn

Stella February 26, 2010 at 3:11 am

This looks so good. I love both fresh fish and lentils. Glad to find your site. I like to eat gluten free sometimes. I notice swelling in my joints goes down a bit when I avoid gluten.

Jenn February 26, 2010 at 2:12 pm

Thanks everyone!
@Stella – that is really interesting about joint inflammation being linked to your gluten intake – I had not come across that particular symptom before!

katie February 26, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I’m drooling now b/c this looks so fantastic!

Linda February 26, 2010 at 7:09 pm

This sounds great. I’m trying to eat more fish so I’ll be giving this recipe a try. Thanks for linking to “What can I eat that’s gluten free?”

bake in paris March 5, 2010 at 6:21 am

This poarched cod is perfect for a romantic dining….. will probably cook this on my and T’s anniversary :-)

And Jen, you have taken perfect shot, simply love love it! So alluring and capture the essence of smart food photography!!

Sawadee from bangkok,
Kris

Lisa April 15, 2010 at 12:11 pm

This looks delicious! I’m trying this tonight, but I have a question. Where do I put the rosemary in?

Thanks,
Lisa

Jenn April 15, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Thanks! Sorry I forgot to put it in with the directions, add it in with the thyme – I’ll fix that so it’s correct – I’ll be curious how it comes out for you!

Lisa April 15, 2010 at 10:12 pm

Thanks for the recipe, it was very good! I changed it a bit and added a clove of garlic (I’m a garlic addict) and I added flour at the end, much to my dismay (DH wanted it!).

Very tasty and flavourful without overpowering the fish.

Is this your recipe?

Jenn April 15, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Oh I’m so glad you liked it! Yes, it’s my creation, but as with any recipe, it is inspired by a number of things, particularly a Gordon Ramsay recipe I saw recently and also a recipe for butter poached skate that I saw people make for Daring Cooks a little over a year ago…I’m certainly sure I am not the first person ever to poach fish in butter and wine :)

Leela March 24, 2013 at 4:58 am

You said the magic word. Butter! I will be trying this.