Mini Apple Pies, Gluten Free

by Jenn on December 2, 2009

in Desserts,Gluten Free

_PAG2406pies

These mini hand-held pies were possibly one of most complimented foods that I made for Thanksgiving.  I used the same pie crust recipe as I did with the empanadas a couple weeks ago, but created a caramel cream apple filling instead of the empanada filling to make them like little pies, and then just sprinkled cinnamon on top.  These were pretty simple to make, and super convenient given their rather small portion size, and fantastic ability to be reheated.  Another bonus was that I could make them days ahead of time, freeze them, and then thaw during the day and bake them right at the end of dinner without a lot of actual time needed in the kitchen on Thanksgiving Day – a big plus when various people are cooking to feed 20!

One could really put in any filling that you want into these pies, but I just love using fresh apples in the Fall, and I don’t think that I could ever get tired of maple and caramel flavor with apples!

chocolate shavings December 2, 2009 at 6:45 pm

That filling sounds and looks yummy!

Ann December 2, 2009 at 9:15 pm

These look delightful! I’m one year GF and just now starting to miss pie type stuff.

I try to avoid soy in my diet. Have you noticed if anything is a particularly good or bad substitute for it? I have lots of other GF flours at my disposal.

Thank you!!!

Jenn December 2, 2009 at 10:38 pm

Thanks! I’m not absolutely sure what would be the best substitute for soy flour, but I think I might start with trying a flour like sorghum or millet, maybe almond flour, since they tend to provide similar textures – if you do any experimenting with other flours let me know if you have any successes!

Lauren December 2, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Way too cute! I love these flavours =D. Maple syrup with apples is always a winner!

Anita December 3, 2009 at 6:35 am

I can’t believe they’re gluten free?! I need to widen my gluten free recipes. Thanks for sharing :)

Linda December 3, 2009 at 11:10 am

Those look delightful! I can’t wait to give it a try. I too don’t like using soy flour so I will do a little experimenting when I get the time. I think it’s great that you can make them ahead and then pop them in the oven.

Valérie December 3, 2009 at 11:24 am

They look very cute and tasty! I love the idea of making them “calzone-style” (or empanada-style), rather than open.

fran February 26, 2013 at 6:23 pm

HI I want to try your GF pie crust as I am newly diagnosed. When you say make the dough in three batches what do you mean? I have all the ingriedents on hand so I would love to try. Thanks for your help…. Fran