Roasted Butternut Squash and Pomegranate Salad

by Jenn on November 23, 2009

in Diabetic Friendly,Gluten Free,Photography,Salads,Vegetarian

_PAG2248pom

One of my friends suggested that this should be called “Hello Fall, I love you” salad, and I think she is right.  With roasted butternut squash, fresh pomegranate seeds, toasted pecans, and gruyere cheese, this salad epitomizes several of my favorite flavors of the season.  Pomegranates are in season now (so is squash), and I use them in just about everything that I can.  All of these flavors are pretty distinct, but complement each other very well in this dish.  The butternut squash is the mildest of the flavors, but adds a nice mellowness to the salad.  I love pairing pomegranates with the squash here.  Pomegranate seeds have a really bright tart flavor that adds a little punch of zing, let alone a gorgeous contribution of color that makes this salad just appear warm and bright.  They really do shine like little jewels on the plate.

These flavors can work in other dishes besides a salad – for example this morning we made a hash with the butternut squash, spinach, some bacon, eggs, and pomegranate - simple and quick, yet perfect.

Pomegranates can be a bit umm..messy to open up though.  I recommend slowly breaking apart pieces of the pomegranate with your hands, rather than just slicing straight in, which is the most surefire way to get bright red juice everywhere, like below – Who dunnit?

_PAG2179pom

Mr. Pomegranate in the kitchen with a knife!

Ha sorry, I know it’s corny, but I just couldn’t resist…..I used to love that board game as a little kid lol.  I’m titling this photo “Death by pomegranate” ….but yumm that blood red juice is delicious! This is one of the few photos where I was actually intending for that grainy look, which I got by shooting with a very low f-stop so that only the tip of the knife was in focus, having a high ISO and then applying reduce noise in photoshop to smooth out the grainyness a bit.  I’m a bit unhappy thought hat it is a bit dark.  I haven’t been able to set up my tripod yet, so longer exposure times are going to have to wait until next week…

Lauren November 23, 2009 at 8:40 pm

Yes please! I love pomegranates, so any excuse to use them is alright with me =D.

Jessica November 24, 2009 at 12:24 am

This looks phenomenal! Such beautiful pictures!!

Valérie November 24, 2009 at 12:09 pm

Very nice, there’s nothing like a bright, colourful salad!

You’ve mentioned pomegranate a few times this fall, which makes me think I should really go try it. Maybe I’ve tasted it in the past, but I can’t remember. Thanks for the tip on preparing it, it’ll come in handy!

vincent November 24, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on “Add your site”

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Stephanie November 24, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I love that combination and what a great way to use these fall ingredients. I wouldn’t have thought to put pomegranates in a salad. Great idea!

myrecessionkitchen November 24, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Yum, I have all the ingredients in my fridge right now, I think we’re going to have this for dinner.

bake in paris November 25, 2009 at 12:41 am

Just from the look of it, I can tell how delicious it is! Great recipes and photography! Beautiful color combination!

Sawasdee from Thailand,
Kris

Alta November 29, 2009 at 12:16 am

After the heaviness of the Thanksgiving meals (and leftovers!) I think I need to make this salad. Yum.