Egg Nog Latte

by Jenn on November 9, 2009

in Beverages,Budget,Gluten Free

Did I ever mention that I love espresso?  If you know me at all you will know that is a gross understatement.  Coffee (in some form or another) is an absolute necessity in my daily life.  And because of that, I have a lot of fun trying new coffee based beverages.  Ever since I saw this listed as a drink on a certain very large national coffee shop chain, I wanted to make it at home.  For one, this homemade latte did not cost me $4!   My version doesn’t really have fewer calories or carbs so I’m not going to many any dramatic health claims, but it is quite tasty, and you can make it in less monstrous serving sizes.  I actually prefer a smaller sized drink than is typically served in such places, but with the same amount of espresso in it, so that the espresso has a bit stronger flavor.

How does espresso and egg nog blend together?  Absolutely wonderfully.  The espresso adds a bitterness and acidity that really helps to cut the egg nog and balance out the drink a bit.  While I love egg nog, it’s often a bit much for me to drink on its own.  I love how egg nog and nutmeg instantly conjures the holiday cheer in everyone and really helps to create that festive atmosphere to a gathering, and this drink is no exception.  I think egg nog is just as justified at Thanksgiving as it is in the December holidays too :) And besides, what better way is there to enjoy the holidays than with a great yummy latte that you can sit and relax with?

I’ll give a little confession though.  I cheated a bit.  I didn’t make the egg nog from scratch this time.  But I definitely will (Elise of Simply Recipes has a good eggnog recipe, though I’d omit the alcohol when making it for these lattes) when I serve this for holiday get togethers!

This post is also going to be submitted as part of the Holiday Food Fest, for the “Holiday Cocktails, Mocktails and Appetizers” theme coming up in a few weeks hosted by Amy of Simply Sugar and Gluten Free.  Be sure to check out all of the great Holiday Food Fest submissions each week!

Egg Nog Latte

Prep Time: 5 minutes to grind espresso
Total Time: 20 minutes to steam the egg nog

Ingredients (for 2 lattes):

• your favorite espresso, ground
  • water for the espresso
  • pinch cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 c. (12 oz.) light egg nog
  • freshly ground nutmeg

1.  Prepare espresso as you normally would (I use a stovetop espresso maker).
2. Add pinch of cinnamon to the egg nog, and steam the egg nog.  This can be done by heating it up in a small pan on the stove (on med.) stirring often until steaming, or using more convenient devices like a frother on a cappuccino machine or our automatic milk frother.  Even a hot chocolate maker would steam the egg nog well.
3. Fill at least a third  of the mug with espresso, and then the rest with egg nog.  Garnish with some freshly grated nutmeg.  Enjoy!

VeggieGirl November 9, 2009 at 6:51 pm

I totally have that same mug, haha 😀

Jenn November 9, 2009 at 7:01 pm

@vegggiegirl LOL too funny! Those mugs are seriously older than I am!

Ben November 9, 2009 at 6:54 pm

There are so many flavors you can use with your coffee, but I am loving this one. Hmmm I can taste it in my mind :)

Lauren November 9, 2009 at 8:25 pm

So fun! Although I’m not a coffee drinker (or eggnog for that matter), I know my Dad would kill for this. I might just have to make some for him =D.

Art and Appetite November 10, 2009 at 12:46 am

Definitely sounds so good. It also seems easy to make. Thanks for the recipe.

Erin November 10, 2009 at 10:33 am

This looks wonderful! I love eggnog, and I’ll definitely have to keep these in mind for Christmas get-togethers. Beautiful picture!

Lisa November 10, 2009 at 10:59 am

I started making these last holiday season as well on my espresso maker in an attempt to stop spending $$$$ buying them at Starbucks! By the way, my mom has those SAME exact mugs in your picture. And she’s had them for years! Do you have the Irish coffee glasses that match as well? :) It was quite a flashback to see those.

Stephanie November 10, 2009 at 11:57 am

Love those mugs! My mom would love this, she’s a huge egg nog fan!

Madame Sucre November 11, 2009 at 5:28 am

oh wow you know i’ve never tried eggnog before.. this is new to us here in Kuwait.. but i guess i’ll give it a try as it sounds very delicious!! i will omit the alcohol of course and the esspresso for my little kid! very healthy!

Camille November 11, 2009 at 10:26 am

Yum! I’ve been craving eggnog recently, ever since the temperature started to drop, and this sound like a great way to enjoy it. Premade eggnog being thin on the ground over here in France, I’ll just have to make my own, so thanks for the link!

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Glulten-Free November 16, 2009 at 12:11 am

I love this recipe – and so glad I got a sneak preview to what you’re sharing in a couple of weeks. I am so behind in my blog reading, but must say I’m quite enamored with all you’ve been creating. Your sushi looks like something from a master, and this has inspired me to get my espresso maker out. I bought a stove-top espresso maker several months ago – it’s still in the box!

gfe-gluten free easily December 3, 2009 at 10:09 am

Simply beautiful, Jenn. Those could sure make a guest feel welcome in an instant!

Winnie December 3, 2009 at 2:56 pm

This sounds delicious…I love the eggnog coffee combination!

Vani December 9, 2009 at 3:55 pm

This looks great and easy to make…but would I be able to substitute espresso for regular brewed coffee (ie. Nabob) or instant coffee (ie. Folgers)? Thanks! 😀

Jenn December 9, 2009 at 4:21 pm

You could use whatever coffee/espresso you like, though the better quality beans you use the better the final product will be…..if you use coffee instead of espresso you would also then call it an egg nog cafe au lait rather than a latte.

Iris November 22, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Yum. I’m adding this to my Thanksgiving recipe roundup.

Jenn November 23, 2010 at 4:05 am

Oh thanks! Yes, it is the right time of year to make egg nog lattes again….