A Gluten Free Pot Pie

by Jenn on November 20, 2009

in Gluten Free,Meats

_PAG2142potpie

Pot pie is one of those foods that just about everyone loves – it’s super flexible so you can tailor it to suit whatever tastes you are looking for – you can make it vegetarian or not, though when I think of pot pie I typically think of chicken pot pie, which is what I made here.  This would also be a great dish to create something tasty for all those turkey leftovers that everyone is going to have next week!  My family always typically makes way too much turkey on Thanksgiving.  I seriously remember my family when I was young buying a 20lb. turkey to feed 5 people, and then having turkey leftover FOREVER.  There are a couple of traditional recipes that my family uses for turkey leftovers, but even they become a bit routine after say, 3 weeks and I love finding new ways to use up leftovers.  Haha, why in the world would my family do such a thing?  Well, for one it’s a lot cheaper that way.  After Thanksgiving when you carve the turkey you can just freeze the leftover meat and then use it as you need to.

I made this pot pie this week, before Thanksgiving, and with chicken.  My husband and I are staying with my in-laws to celebrate Thanksgiving, and half the family is gluten free.  At the thought of pot pie, it was decided that we had to make one.  After my recent success with pie crust, I felt up to the task.  Woohoo! Another great recipe to use gluten free pie crust with!  Thanks to Annie of Annie’s Eats, I came across a great pot pie recipe to use as a basis for making this.  Because of all of the rich buttery crust that I used from lining the entire baking dish, there is a LOT of butter.  If you add it up, I used a full pound of butter (*gasp!*).  But, this pot pie made 12 servings.  You don’t need a large serving size to fill you up, trust me!  You could make this a bit lighter by not lining the baking dish with crust, and just using a top crust (in which case you’d probably also want larger serving sizes).   But if you are gluten free, you probably want as much crust as possible, lol at least that’s what my father-in-law said!

The trickiest part of this pot pie was adapting a recipe for individual sized servings to one large pot pie.  I turned down the oven temp a bit, and got a little creative for handling the crust to make sure that it was cooked, nice and golden brown, but not burnt after baking for a good hour in the oven.  I highly suggest keeping the oven light on while this is baking so that you can check on it.  I also made a few other adjustments, like adding sherry to the filling, leaving out the mushrooms and bell peppers, and adding in green beans instead.  I also added in a few herbs.  I also did not add in any salt.  I figured there was enough salt from the chicken broth, and some family members had to be on a minimum salt diet.  If you think it needs more, definitely add in some.  Really, as you can see, you can do pretty much whatever you want, whatever you happen to feel like.  I definitely have a feeling that we will be making this again once we have turkey leftovers!

_PAG2163potpie

Also submitted to – Friday-foodie-fix-carrots

shauna November 21, 2009 at 12:33 am

That looks gorgeous, Jenn! You’ve inspired me. I need to start working on pot pies when the holidays have passed. Thanks.

Lauren November 21, 2009 at 11:09 am

Hehe – you got a different background colour =D. The pot pie looks fabulous! In my house, pot pies mean biscuits on top of the filling and no crust, but this looks wonderful and yummy!

Valérie November 22, 2009 at 1:38 pm

This just exudes comfort! Mmmm…

gfe-gluten free easily November 23, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Wow, on the butter, but ooh la la on the pot pie (and multiple servings as you said)! Gorgeous … I want some please. It’s cold and rainy here today. I’ve had pot pie recipes brewing in my head … yum.

Shirley

FILIZ November 28, 2009 at 1:49 pm

Nefis gorunuyor afiyet olsun
Sevgiler

Diane-The W.H.O.L.E. Gang March 29, 2010 at 2:19 pm

That looks so good!!!! Thank you for sharing it on Friday Foodie Fix.

Poppie November 20, 2010 at 5:07 am

I noticed that this recipe has double the amount of butter in it compared to the apple and empanada recipe. Is this a typo or is it because you made one large crust instead of many little ones? I am making these tonight and I am thinking I should go with the lesser amount of butter because I will make 6-8 pies…what do you think?

Jenn November 20, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Oh thanks for noticing!!! That is definitely a typo, it should be fixed now!!
I made a triple batch to cover the bottom and top of my casserole dish. One normal batch makes one single-pie crust, so if you are doing this in small ramekins, I could def. see 6-8 or so depending on your size…

Hope you enjoy!

Annie November 20, 2010 at 6:01 pm

So glad you enjoyed it! Definitely one of my favorite meals. I agree, no additional salt is necessary.

Jenn November 21, 2010 at 12:21 am

Thanks Annie!

Julie December 31, 2011 at 11:21 pm

I just made this. It is great, except mine is way too spicy. Next time I’m going to scale back the red pepper flakes to 1/4 tsp. I read online to fix super spicy stuff to add sugar. Have you ever done that? Does it work in this case?

Julie December 31, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Is it possible that it is too spicy because I skipped the potatoes? I just read baking soda will kill the spice overkill. Hmm… I’d like to fix my spicy problem. Do you have any advice?

Jenn January 1, 2012 at 1:07 pm

It could be because of omitting the potatoes. I didn’t find it very spicy at all but everyone has a different spice tolerance. I’d try eliminating the red pepper flakes completely and you shouldn’t have any problems with spiciness. Sorry it didn’t work out for you, I have no experience in toning down spice of foods, sorry.

Regina Joan March 23, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I made this last week and because it was SO FANTASTIC I’m making it again tonight! I’ve been eating gluten free for a while now and I’ve been craving things like chicken pot pie! This recipe is absolutely wonderful and super easy to follow! Because I’m a little hesitant to experiment making my own dough, I used Glutino brand gluten free pastry crust and it worked so well! I also used Pamela’s pancake and baking mix for the gravy and it worked like a charm. The gravy was so good! I can’t wait to eat this again tonight, thanks for this recipe!