White Chocolate Pumpkin Truffles

by Jenn on October 28, 2009

in Desserts,Gluten Free

_PAG1512truffles

Never doubt the power of prayer.

“This is the part where you pray,” I told my husband while madly whisking white chocolate and cream together as fast as I could.

“I mean it, pray to God right now!  Or these won’t stay together!”

“Dear God, please keep this white chocolate together,” we both chanted, over and over, taking turns whisking as fast as we could once each other’s arms fatigued.

And so we prayed, prayed that the white chocolate wouldn’t separate, prayed that the addition of pumpkin puree wouldn’t break the emulsion and ruin the entire thing.  This went on for a good 7 minutes without ceasing.

At first he thought I was joking.  But I was using a new brand of white chocolate, and it was very resistant to melting.  I’d seen this before, and 99 times out of 100 it meant the kiss of death for ganache, as it usually ends in me crying because white chocolate had separated and refused to hold its emulsion.  Once that happens, you might as well just throw the entire thing away.  And that is just so depressing to do, that you are completely unmotivated to try again, until another day when you muster up the courage to confront the white chocolate again.

I decided to be brave, and do the unorthodox.  Once I saw the chocolate chunks resisting to melt despite the presence of the hot cream, I held the stainless steel mixing bowl over the still hot turned off burner.  Just for about 15 seconds or so, after all one doesn’t want to completely invite disaster.  Then I’d remove it from the heat again, and about a minute later, tempt it with a slight bit more heat.  This is totally breaking the rules.  You are never supposed to use heat directly on the chocolate, let alone a finicky chocolate.  There is a reason why every ganache recipe will tell you to heat the cream and then pour over the chocolate to melt it away from the heat.  But the chocolate was resisting – and drastic situations call for drastic measures.

You see, white chocolate is notorious for being a royal pain.  Even some of the best  brands of white chocolate have brought me to my knees in despair.  And trying to make a ganache with pumpkin?  Well that is just tempting fate.  There is probably a reason why I couldn’t find a single recipe online for “white chocolate pumpkin ganache”, leaving me to develop my own.  There are plenty of recipes for dark chocolate.  Dark chocolate behaves predictably.  Working with dark chocolate is, shall I dare-say, easy.  But white chocolate? Ha.  White chocolate laughs in your face, and says “Try me.  I dare you.  I know I will win and you will lose.”

But I won this time.  I battled the white chocolate with shear determination, and prayer, and in the end the ganache held together.  It was truly a miracle.  A delicious, melt-in-your-mouth, creamy, flavorful little Autumn miracle.

_PAG1503truffles

holiday-food-fest

This post is also being submitted as a part of the Holiday Food Fest, coordinated by Amy from Simply Sugar & Gluten Free.  The first week is for Fall Desserts, hosted by Liz of Hoosier Homemade.

Lauren October 28, 2009 at 9:35 pm

I’m glad you didn’t wait to post these – They look fabulous! Not to mention the amazing delicious flavours. I really want some!

Erin October 28, 2009 at 9:41 pm

These look incredible!

themilkmanswife October 28, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Yay! I’m glad you decided to go ahead and post these. They look wonderful! Good for you for taming that white chocolate. What a wonderful combo!

Woman with a Whisk October 29, 2009 at 8:18 am

My white chocolate always, always seizes too! A teeny bit of gel food coloring broke my emulsion last night. Luckily I saved it with a bit of cream and butter, but it’s really tricky to work with. Yours look beautiful though!

Ariane October 29, 2009 at 9:25 am

I love your introduction! I can really see you laboring over these :-)

I, however, think that I will stick to brule….

Lori @ RecipeGirl October 29, 2009 at 9:33 am

They look gorgeous! Funny, pumpkin truffles were on my list to make this year but I had so many other sweet projects going on that they didn’t quite make the cut. I want one of these!

Charli October 29, 2009 at 9:33 am

Wow. Those look incredible! It looks so simple in the recipe portion if you don’t know about the finicky nature of the white chocolate hah!

Shannalee October 29, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Excellent presentation. These are beautiful!

Maria October 29, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Love these! Fabulous fall treat!

marti October 29, 2009 at 4:50 pm

They look absolutely beautiful! And they sound amazing!

Julie October 30, 2009 at 3:28 pm

I would be more than happy to supply you with my address so your truffles could magically appear at my house. :)

Linda October 30, 2009 at 5:37 pm

God does care about the little things. Those look beautiful and delicious.

Alta October 31, 2009 at 2:51 pm

I would love these. If I make them though, I’ll need you to come pray while I’m making my ganache too!

Krystal November 1, 2009 at 10:36 pm

Those look fantastic! I wish I would have seen this a few weeks ago though…we had SEVERAL cups of fresh pumpkin puree and I was making all sorts of fun stuff with it. :)

Marc November 2, 2009 at 1:49 am

These look amazing. You have inspired me to try something similar.

Liz@HoosierHomemade November 5, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Wow, those are amazing! And I’m laughing like crazy too! Praying…been there, done that! :-)
Thanks for joining in the fun at the Holiday Food Fest! I hope you join us next Thurs too!
~Liz

gfe--gluten free easily November 7, 2009 at 1:50 am

We all pray for different things at different times. ;-) So glad you got your autumn miracle because these look unbelievable. What could make a pumpkin treat better? Well, white chocolate AND dark chocolate, of course. Genius. I want one. Badly.

Shirley

Brian November 8, 2009 at 9:51 pm

These look so good. I’ve never had a pumpkin truffle before.

Diane-The WHOLE Gang December 22, 2009 at 11:18 am

I don’t think I could finish making these without eating them. Yum! Thank you for sharing these on Friday Foodie Fix.

prettypastrychef September 20, 2010 at 9:21 am

The truffles look great, but I think they would have look better if you would have used tempered chocolate and hand rolled them so they wouldnt have such a large foot.

Jenn September 20, 2010 at 10:21 am

Thanks. Yeah I know I should have used tempered chocolate, but sometimes I am lazy haha :) Unfortunately even after chilling for a long time, the ganache was too fragile to withstand much of anything, hence the quick dip into chocolate and that was it -> and thus, large feet. I think if I added in more powdered sugar into my ganache maybe it would have held its structure a little better…

Swapna November 25, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Thank you Jenn for visiting my blog and leaving a comment :)…We really enjoyed Pumpkin Truffles and it came out very well for me….Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe!

Jenn November 25, 2010 at 9:11 pm

Your welcome! I’m so glad you enjoyed them!