Spring Rolls with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce

by Jenn on October 23, 2009

in Budget,Dairy Free,Dips and Sauces,Gluten Free,Seafood

_PAG0947rolls

These were totally a spur of the moment dish that I made this afternoon – ever since purchasing rice paper spring roll wrappers for last month’s Daring Cook’s Challenge (my Fried Apple Cheesecake Pillows), I’ve been trying to come up with what to do with the rest of these wrappers.  Then, it hit me – well of course, why not use them for what they were originally intended?  And so today, I decided to have a go at making spring rolls.  Besides, it’s cold and wintery outside, and anything with the word “spring” in it would brighten me up and make me feel a bit warmer, even though this dish is served cold, haha.  My husband and I really enjoyed this lunch – err….early supper?   It was about 3 pm before we even figured out we were hungry…

Being that I didn’t really plan for this, I didn’t get a chance to go to my natural foods store to get things like mung beans, and so had to do with what I had on hand for ingredients.  This means that the recipe is not authentic at all, but it may mean that it’s easier to throw together  because the ingredients are easy to store.  A couple of things that I do that worked well here – when I buy fresh herbs, if I’m not going to use them all, I throw them into the freezer.  If they are going to go in something where they are going inside the dish (i.e. are not a garnish), frozen herbs seem to work really well.  And then you don’t waste money by throwing out herbs you spent good $$ on.  I had fresh cilantro on hand (because we ALWAYS have cilantro around, it gets used almost every day), but I used mint and chives from my freezer.  The chives I did use as a garnish, but because they had been frozen, they were really soft green ribbons that made it quite manageable to wrap around these rolls.

So, in summary – Money Saving Tip – Don’t toss your leftover fresh herbs – if you aren’t going to use them up in time, freeze them!

As far as rolling these spring rolls, I really had no idea.  So I just kinda folded them like a burrito.  However, it seemed to work.  If anyone can point me in the direction of a site with good directions on how to roll spring rolls, I’d really like to know!

_PAG0984rolls

Erin October 23, 2009 at 9:14 pm

These look delicious! I will have to make a point to try them!

Lauren October 23, 2009 at 11:22 pm

These look wonderful! I love the flavours, and they look like you rolled them perfectly =D.

Valérie October 24, 2009 at 12:42 pm

I love making spring rolls! As for the folding technique, “burrito style” is pretty much how it’s usually done. Your presentation looks perfect, well done! Satay sauce also goes well with spring rolls (just heat coconut milk, red curry paste, and peanut butter together).

Laura October 25, 2009 at 6:39 pm

these look fantastic! and there are good photos of rolling here: http://soupbelly.com/2009/05/31/this-is-how-we-roll-spring-rolls-that-is-and-baking-and-frying/ . It’s for fried rolls, but I imagine the process is the same for spring rolls too.

Stacy October 26, 2009 at 2:19 am

So I just figured out that I didn’t update my RSS feed and have been missing out. Durrrrr.

Anyway, I *looooooove* making spring rolls. I use tofu and cellophane noodles in addition to the shrimp, carrots, lettuce, cilantro, and mint. I also wrap mine burrito-style and have found that, so long as it’s snug, it works best for me!

Amanda October 27, 2009 at 3:37 pm

These are beautiful… you have quite a gift!

Blessings-
Amanda

Nicole November 6, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Can you sub other proteins for non-seafood people..? ie, my kids

Jenn November 6, 2009 at 7:16 pm

I am sure that you could sub just about anything you want in these (like cooked chicken strips, etc.), or keep them veg if you wanted to as well. I used shrimp because that’s typically how I’ve seen spring rolls made, but really I think these could be very flexible!

Lauren October 27, 2011 at 2:02 am

The sauce recipe is awful. Honestly, awful. I made the mistake of tripling this recipe straight off without testing it and am stuck with trying to fix it 2 hours before a potluck. Too much tamari, not enough peanut butter, and no sweetener such as brown sugar or tamarind paste.

Jenn October 27, 2011 at 3:24 am

I’m really sorry you didn’t enjoy it. There were never intentions to use a sweetener as my mother is diabetic and the rice paper maxed her carb limits. Hopefully you are able to find a ratio of ingredients that suits you better. I will revise the recipe with some additional alternative ratios and sweetener suggestions. Thank you very much for your feedback.

Mama Geri June 29, 2012 at 6:53 am

Tonight trying to help someone find a recipe to feed teenagers and landed on your site. What a joy it is to find great food here. I know what we are going to eat this weekend. Your spring rolls. I love your recipe sounds so easy to prepare fresh and not too complicated. Now that summer is here this will be so tasty and better than hot food on a hot night. Can not wait to read more of your site. Know I’ll find more great surprises. Have a great summer and stay cool!