Parmesan Crusted Quiche

by Jenn on September 8, 2009

in Diabetic Friendly,Gluten Free,Meats

_PAG1875quiche

Quiche is an awesomely easy dish to make, and so versatile!  You can literally put whatever you have on hand in a quiche, and with the right cheese, it can be fantastic!  Traditionally, however, quiche has a crust, and a pastry one at that.  My gluten free pastry crust recipes were a bit more effort than I felt like, and I wanted to do something different.  I have eaten out at restaurants before where salads etc. were served in molded parmesan shells, and wanted to see if something like that might work here.  It was a bit of a gamble – but then, what isn’t when you are baking in a gluten free kitchen?

Overall the parmesan crusted quiche was a success – the parmesan crust looked completely awesome once it was molded into the pie pan!  Though i was a bit scatterbrained, and naïvely forgot to realize that if I melted the parmesan cheese at 375 in order to mold it as it cooled, if I then baked the quiche at 375 it was going to melt again.  Oops!  But it all worked out.  I think folding the crust back over itself rather than letting the cheese hang over the edge was definitely a good idea, as was gently covering it in aluminum foil.  This was originally done to keep it from burning while the quiche baked, but I think it served the dual purpose of holding the cheese in place so it wouldn’t melt onto the bottom of my oven and make a mess.  But that also meant the part of the crust underneath the quiche custard melted into the creamy eggy goodness.  Mmm! The crust, being made of parmesan, was definitely pretty salty.  Whatever you do, do not add any more salt to this dish!  When eaten with the quiche custard together, it’s fine.  But if you eat pieces of the crust on its own, it may be a bit much.

This recipe for quiche is a bit more dense than some I have had.  But it always works and is my standard (5 eggs, 1 cup cream)- I think traditionally one is supposed to use a lower egg to cream ratio.  Really there is a little wiggle room there.  I don’t even use a measuring cup anymore when I add the cream (or half &  half) – I just pour until it looks about right.

_PAG1840quiche

Amy Green - Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free September 8, 2009 at 11:24 pm

I love the idea of using a parm crust with quiche. I’ve seen parm crisps for salad and Shirley at Gluten-Free Easily makes a cheese pizza crust that uses parm, but never one for a quiche. Your pics are beautiful, as always.

Karin September 9, 2009 at 2:08 am

look so so good!

Bonnie - lisdedieu September 9, 2009 at 7:30 am

What a great idea for a crust! I was thinking about making a quiche when we get back from our trip next week. I’ll might just have to try this one!

Valérie September 9, 2009 at 11:13 am

I’m inspired! My boyfriend makes salad bowls out of parmesan (coincidentally, I’m posting about that soon), but I never would have thought to use the same technique as a quiche crust. His technique is a little more daredevil-like, though (the oven is hotterm no parchment involved), and I’m always mildly afraid when I’m watching… At any rate, the quiche looks superb!

Ariane September 9, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Another excuse to buy more cheese! This is great! I like to do quiche every couple of weeks in the winter so this is a great new variation to try and requires not much more effort than par-baking a regular pastry crust.

On another note, I make my quiche using 3-4 eggs and 1-1 1/2 cups of skim milk and use my blender to mix it all up (everything but the blade into the dishwasher). I tell myself that its “relatively sinless” and “relatively painless” :-)

Wisconsin Cheese September 9, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Awesome recipe! We re-tweeted it at http://twitter.com/WisCheese/

gfe--gluten free easily September 13, 2009 at 10:39 am

I usually do crustless quiches (just adding 1/4 cup of gf flour to a regular recipe and subbing gf flour for any flour already called for),b ut this Parmesan crust is mighty enticing. I just happen to have cream and half and half in the fridge, too. You’re helping with my meal planning this week, Jenn!

Shirley

Kathy February 11, 2013 at 5:15 pm

why do u put aluminum foil on crust edges? Is it so it doesn’t drip?

Kathy February 11, 2013 at 5:17 pm

oh sorry u answered that in your blog, I understand now.

Jenn February 11, 2013 at 10:54 pm

great, glad you found it :)

Karen Tremaine February 11, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Same ingredients, EXCEPT: Use chopped fresh spinach instead of asparagus.
Use grated Mozarella cheese instead of cheddar.

Jenn February 11, 2013 at 10:54 pm

sounds like a tasty variation!