GF Spinach and Goat Cheese Pizza

by Jenn on August 18, 2009

in Dips and Sauces,Gluten Free,Vegetarian

_PAG1237pizzac

Packing and moving is hard work.  The last thing you want to eat after a day of wrapping dishes, stuffing boxes, and hauling stuff is something complicated and pretentious.  At the end of the day, my husband and I sat down on the floor (because we had sold our only futon ages ago), totally wiped out, and said we needed some easy comfort food.  Almost in chorus, we both instantly thought of the same thing – pizza!

There is something so satisfying about pizza, and yet it is one of the most elusive foods for gluten free folk.  That is because of the crust.  Traditional pizza dough relies on the gluten in the dough to hold it together – that’s why you can spin it up in the air and it will stretch and grow, and won’t fall apart or tear on you.  All the elastic properties of pizza dough that allow one to create a large thing circle of crust goodness are due to my husbands evil enemy, gluten.

I am not so expert at baking to think that I could develop my own pizza crust recipe.  So I rely on other gluten free baking greats to come up with great recipes, and I will just cook them :)  This crust is a particularly good rendition – besides, did I ever mention that Jill of Hey That Tastes Good is my GF baking idol?  This is yet another awesome recipe of hers, GF pizza crust.  And in the spirit of moving ourselves (her post here is about moving as well), I thought it was only appropriate to make her “Moving Pizza”.  Notice the paper towel for a plate? haha.  That is what you do when you realized that you packed all your plates.

Karine August 18, 2009 at 2:43 am

I am also packing and I hate it! I love your pizza though, it looks delicious!

Erin August 18, 2009 at 3:44 am

I will definitely have to try this version! It looks so delicious!

Valérie August 18, 2009 at 2:06 pm

I don’t bake gluten-free myself, but I have so much admiration for those who do. I’ve always wondered how gluten-free pizza was possible… The colours on your last picture are gorgeous! Good luck with the packing and moving!

Jessica August 18, 2009 at 2:36 pm

These look fantastic – I am officially craving pizza!

I love the ethos of your blog – I am a big Pollan fan myself and try to do the same at my blog. :)

Alta August 18, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Yummy! I have just discovered a gluten-free pizza crust recipe that works for me…but I cheat, and use Pamela’s Baking Mix. (we all gotta start somewhere, right?) This looks delicious though, I might have to try this version. I did discover that same trick for rolling out GF dough – only I use 2 sheets of parchment paper! Works like a charm.

Sarah Schatz - menu planners for limited diets August 31, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Your pizza looks awesome! I like that you added the tip about using saran wrap. That’s a great idea. I usually make my dough rollable by kneading it first with tapioca flour and then putting a little on the dough before I roll it. It works really great.

Question though – did you really make this after a day of packing and moving? My hat is off to you if you did! I find it difficult to do any baking when I am in the middle of moving because I can never seem to find what I need to make what I want, or a space to do it!

I love your photos too! thanks so much,
Sarah

carrie September 18, 2009 at 1:21 pm

what a gorgeous pizza and crust!! Girl you are making gluten free look absolutely fantastic! I always love finding new GF blogs!! ;-)