Blackberry and Balsamic Roast Quail

by Jenn on August 16, 2009

in Diabetic Friendly,Dips and Sauces,Gluten Free,Meats

_PAG1165quail copy

There is no greater sin than to overcook a quail.” – No Reservations

So says Catherine Zeta Jones’s character in the movie when she talks about all the different ways that she loved to prepare quail. This sounds mighty intimidating, but when done well, the result is perfection in your mouth.  Quail are small and delicate, and when cooked just right, perfectly flavorful and tender.  For being game fowl, quail does not have a very strong taste, just a very flavorful one.  There is a bit of a trick to cooking them though, because of their size.  If you cook them at too low of a temperature, the time required would dry them out too much.  So you need to roast them at a higher temperature than you would say, a chicken or a turkey.  However, that means that you need to watch them more carefully, so that they don’t overcook.  It is a definite balance.  Now if only I could figure out how to eat one as neatly :)

This recipe was adapted from this Balsamic Glazed Quail I found over on Feel Good Eats.  I added in fresh blackberries to the marinade because nothing says summer like cooking with fruit, even in your entrees.  I also doubled the marinade sauce and used half of it some fennel for the topping.  Fennel is a great vegetable that I really need to use more.  Also known as anise, it has a sharp yet savory licorice flavor that I am still learning how to play with, and possible use in place of aromatics (onions, shallot, etc.) in other recipes.  Here, the fennel added the perfect new dimension of flavor to the sweet/tart of the blackberry/balsamic sauce.  The quail sat on a bed of a simple sauteed spinach and arugula with some goat cheese mixed in.  This dish had a lot of different flavors, but they all came together in the perfect symphony of sensations and tastes.

So do not be afraid of quail, or experimenting with new flavors – adding in the blackberry and fennel was a total experiment here, and in this case, the perfect success!

Also linked to – Friday Foodie Fix

_PAG1162quail copy

Jen @ MaplenCornbread August 16, 2009 at 2:04 pm

I adore quail!!! Catherine was right ;) This looks AMAZING! What an elegant way to prepare and serve quail! BEAUTIFUL!

Sam@BingeNYC August 16, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Wow…this looks so fantastic! I love your addition of fennel…yum!

Disgruntled Julie August 16, 2009 at 2:43 pm

I am really impressed with this! I don’t know about you, but none of my real life, non-food blogging friends are not particularly into cooking; if so, it’s generally something frozen or a pasta dish of some sort. So, I can’t imagine anyone I know around my age roasting a quail just for a typical dinner. I know I sure wouldn’t (although that probably has the most to do with the fact that I don’t eat meat!). Looks great!

Jessica (The Novice Chef) August 16, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Wow! What a stunning photo! Looks delicious!

Valérie August 16, 2009 at 4:43 pm

This looks mouth-watering! Thank you for the info on the Physics of Quail-Roasting.

I don’t know if you have seen the German movie “No Reservations” was based on? It’s called “Mostly Martha”, and while the storyline is broadly similar to the US remake (it also starts off with that same monolog about quails), I find it more charming.

peabody August 17, 2009 at 4:13 am

That looks gorgeous!

Alta August 18, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Oh wow, so gorgeous! This is a recipe worth inviting friends over!

louise February 29, 2012 at 2:48 am

Cooking is a much-loved hobby of mine, and I have been collecting recipes for years which I have put in ring binders with each page in a sheet protector. I happened on your site when looking for a picture of roast quail to use with my recipe, an old family favorite. Well now I have another quail recipe! Your Blackberry and Balsamic Roast Quail sounds absolutely delectable! It was wonderful to have such a beautiful picture to go with the recipe. Your site blows the competition right out of the water. Can’t wait to look at more of your recipes. Thanks so much!

Jenn February 29, 2012 at 7:46 am

Thank you so much!

Pamela December 18, 2012 at 2:21 am

Ordered some quail for Christmas dinner. Has anyone made this recipe; and if so
did you cook the quail for only 10-14 minutes. If so was it done in this time?