Gluten Free Zucchini Bread

by Jenn on July 15, 2009

in Gluten Free,Pastas and Grains,Vegetarian

Zucchini Bread

It is the height of squash season right now, and so fresh local zucchinis are super cheap.  I bought a 1.5 lb zucchini (yes, this one was a monster, haha) for only $.50.  So umm…..this continues the theme of zucchini posts!

This bread turned out really well.  It’s a bit dense, but then what gluten free quickbread isn’t?  It’s not dry or crumbly at all, it really has a nice texture and moisture content, which I am attributing to the applesauce and zucchini.  It worked really well for breakfast with butter and raspberry jam this morning, and, for a slightly different twist, it makes some awesome sandwich bread!

I really loved the oven roasted zucchini in my less than orthodox “ratatouille“, but wanted to use the zucchini in some other ways – the “fettuccine” came out well, and so next is zucchini bread! I had never actually had zucchini bread before, but everyone I know raves about it.  To make this quickbread, I used this GF zucchini bread recipe from The Baking Beauties, but I changed the mix up a bit. I used only half of the sugar, because I didn’t want the bread to be quite that sweet, and I changed up the GF flours used a bit with the addition of sorghum flour.  I’ve found lately that I’ve had really good luck with the sorghum flour when I incorporate it into my recipes.

Michele July 15, 2009 at 6:29 am

The bread looks delicious!

zoe July 15, 2009 at 11:46 am

Mmm, it looks so dense and moist. Delicious!

Ellie July 15, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Wow, I can’t believe that’s gluten free! It looks amazing!

Kimberly July 15, 2009 at 3:48 pm

YUM!!!

Michele July 17, 2009 at 2:55 am

How did you do the printer friendly link? Was it difficult to do?

Jen @ MaplenCornbread July 17, 2009 at 3:41 am

I have SO much zucchini right now!! This is perfect!!!

Diane-thewholegang July 26, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Jenn- The bread looks great! I love when you can hide a veggie into something and my family won’t even notice. This sounds like a great use of zucchini to me. Thank you for sharing this on Friday Foodie Fix.

Caroline October 16, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I recently baked it and shared it with friends, who aren’t gluten free, and they loved it! My blog posting shows a photo and my comments. Thank you again! This one’s a keeper!

Necia October 20, 2014 at 6:40 pm

I keep trying new recipes to find the perfect gluten-free “bread” but have not found it yet. I tried this recipe over the weekend but I have to say just first glance should tell you that the sugar content is far too high. I decreased the sugar to 1/4 cup and while it is passable, I still found it a bit over sweet. I will make it again, but use only a tablespoon of sugar or maybe none. I also added Pshylium instead of gum, an extra egg and two tblspns sour cream as the mixture was too dry. It was also impossible to beat to smooth consistency so I quickly dumped it all into the food processor and whizzed it up. Next time I will do the whole mix in the processor, starting with the wet and adding the dry. It did rise nicely and is very moist. I just cannot imagine what it would taste like with a whole cup of sugar?

Jenn October 20, 2014 at 7:15 pm

It’s meant to be a sweet breakfsasty-quickbread, so yeah, it is sweet, especially compared to a typical sandwich bread. Quickbreads follow the same ratios as muffins (just baked in one large loaf instead of many small ones)- so if you would cut down the sugar typically in a muffin, then I can see cutting down the sugar here too. Psyllium husk is a lot more hygroscopic than xanthan gum in my experience, so that likely contributed to your version being dry. I will also add this one to my list to convert the measurements to weights, so that the amounts can be more exact. Thanks for commenting, reminds me to make this again!

Jenn July 17, 2009 at 3:01 am

I created a document in google docs, published it, and then linked to it in the post – not hard at all, you just need a google account :)