It turns out that GF zucchini bread is great for making sandwiches and paninis! Tomatoes, ham, and creamy havarti cheese = mmmmm! So simple, and yet SO tasty. The zucchini bread gives a lot of added flavor to the sandwich. Unfortunately, I could have really used some lettuce here to “green” up my sandwich a bit, but I was too lazy to go to the store just for lettuce. Lettuce or no, this sandwich came out awesome. If you need a new idea for using zucchini bread, this is it!
2 slices GF zucchini bread
a little bit of canola oil
some ham or meat or not-meat of your choice
any greens you like
I shouldn’t need a recipe list for a sandwich, you know what you like I’m sure!
1. First I heat up the ham a bit in a skillet for a minute or so to make it nice and hot.
2. Then I assembled my sandwich, but left the veggies out, just because they had a hard time staying in the sandwich when I was pressing the panini, particularly the tomatoes. I also rubbed a little bit of canola oil on the outside surfaces of the bread.
3. I then heat up my grill (I have a cast iron grill/griddle that works great right on the stove) on med-high, added a little bit of oil to it so the bread wouldn’t stick.
4. I put my sandwich on the hot grill, and used another griddle as a press so that I could get those nice grill lines that you see in the pic – see my set up here:
If you have a panini press, by all means do this in the press. If not, this method was totally easy.
5. Leave it for a few minutes, then flip the sandwich over and press again so the other side looks pretty.
6. Once the cheese starts to get melty, remove sandwich from the heat, open up quick and add in your veggies. Eat!
I served my sandwich with some homemade zucchini chips, which were awesome. But more on those in my next post!