Zucchini and Summer Squash Fettuccine

by Jenn on July 12, 2009

in Dairy Free,Diabetic Friendly,Dips and Sauces,Gluten Free,Pastas and Grains,Vegetarian

Zucchini Fettuccine

Zucchini and summer squash noodles.  No flour.  Just beautiful ribbons of squash, served over a flavorful and vibrant sauce.  Given that I have the world of wonderfully ripe (and cheap!) farmer’s market squash in my kitchen, I’ve been trying to come up with creative new ways to use them so that 1) I don’t get tired of zucchini and 2) because being creative is far more fun than being boring.  This was also a “test” for my mother.  She is diabetic, and so pasta is out of the question.  She never cheats on her diet.  Not ever.  I’ve been really proud of her for making such a change in her life for the better, and seeing such great improvement!

I had seen ideas of squash noodles circulating around the internets (yes, I call it the internets), and thought if I could create a dish using squash for the noodles, then she could eat “pasta” and enjoy to her heart’s content.  It would be a really special treat for her.  I get to see her in less than a couple of months, and am going to be really excited to be able to make this dish for her!

_PAG0524znoodles

Photography Note: I am fully convinced now that my color issue is WordPress. Two different people suggested it was a color space issue – color space is basically how the color information in your photo is stored.  In my camera there are two settings – sRGB and AdobeRGB.  I had been shooting in AdobeRGB, and so tried converting the file to the other one in Photoshop, but that also resulted in muted pictures.  This time I just used sRGB from the beginning to make sure it wasn’t an issue with converting from one to the other.  And know what? The same problem with the red.  So, I took the advice about putting my pictures up on Flickr, which is what I did here (for the ones with the red sauce).  What a difference, the photo is EXACTLY like on my computer!!  So the end verdict? WordPress does a crappy job at displaying color, especially red.

Other photography note – I did ZERO color editing on these photos, yes, the sauce really was BRIGHT red!!

Jessica July 13, 2009 at 2:56 am

This dish looks so yummy! It’s a totally different spin on “spaghetti” squash. I love that the noodles are sized to match a fettuccine noodle! I’m definitely going to try this recipe!

brannyboilsover July 13, 2009 at 11:43 am

I am continually disappointed by the lack of vibrancy that shows up in my blog posts compared to the vibrancy seen in the photos when viewed from my hard drive.

I’ve found no solution.

I know this is a great dish. I’ve used zucchini as an add-in to many long-noodled dishes to bulk up the portion without bulking up the carbs. I also love spaghetti squash as a substitute for noodles.

brannyboilsover July 13, 2009 at 11:45 am
TasteStopping July 13, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Just in time! I’m making the shopping list/menu for the week right now. Can’t wait to try it. And! What a lovely gesture toward your mom. Sigh….I just love the way food brings us together.

Best,
Casey

Courtney July 13, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Beautiful and totally drool-worthy! I will definitely be making this soon!

Cara July 13, 2009 at 1:42 pm

awesome, I’m a big fan of zucchini “noodles” too!

Erin July 13, 2009 at 1:49 pm

That looks awesome! Colorful & healthy.

Laura July 13, 2009 at 1:53 pm

This looks delicious!

zoe July 13, 2009 at 3:43 pm

I love the idea of zucchini and squash “noodles.” I’m glad you figured out your photo issue, they really look great!

Gina July 13, 2009 at 7:29 pm

As soon as my zucchinis are ready in my garden, I’m trying this!

Yudith July 13, 2009 at 8:13 pm

This dish looks amazing! Nice job!

TasteStopping July 14, 2009 at 12:57 am

I made it tonight, as I indicated above. The verdict? A big thumbs up! The sauce was so fresh and delicious (and I’m not in love with tomatoes, mind you). I made it in a hurry tonight, and forgot chicken sausage–which had been my original plan–so I look forward to tinkering with the recipe in the future. But, no matter what, it’s a winner just as is. Only wish I had thought to have fresh bread to soak up the leftover sauce. :)

Best,
Casey
Editor

Jenn July 14, 2009 at 5:09 am

Oh I’m so glad you liked it!! Chicken sausage would be an excellent combination with this I think, that’s a great idea – I know where I can get gluten free chicken sausage too :)

chayacomfycook July 15, 2009 at 3:40 am

I am so into squash these days. I made a great tri squash recipe (on my blog) and if one doesn’t like the topping, it would be great without it. The squash were sweet and tender.

This recipe appeals to me. I love the idea of the noodles. Squash is so versatile.

Katie July 19, 2009 at 9:24 pm

That looks so delicious and refreshing! And I TOTALLY love it in that gorgeous bowl. It’s perfect for the dish! :)

Linda July 24, 2009 at 7:25 pm

I would never have thought of doing that. It really looks like noodles and looks delicious. Thanks!

Diane-thewholegang July 26, 2009 at 4:00 pm

I am super impressed. Both the dish you created and the info on photography. I’d love to hear more from you about putting your photos on flickr. I have an account but have not used it. I think I may start.

I love how creative you were with this dish. It looks so much better than spaghetti squash. I can’t wait to give this a try.

Thank you for sharing it on Friday Foodie Fix!

Tara October 10, 2012 at 3:50 am

Just stumbled upon this recipe (years after you posted it!) and tried it tonight – fantastic!!! It will be added to my list of regular recipes. Also posted a link back to this recipe from my blog.

Thanks! Delicious!
Tara

Jenn October 10, 2012 at 7:19 am

Thanks so much, glad you enjoyed it!

Jenn July 14, 2009 at 5:10 am

Oh cool! Funny that Jess sent this to me just the other day too! When I get some free time I am totally going to have to check it out!