Salad of Gorgonzola Stuffed Poached Pears

by Jenn on July 7, 2009

in Gluten Free,Photography,Salads,Vegetarian

PAG0388pear1-copy-499x334

I also made this appetizer dish for the Independence Day celebration with my family – it isn’t really “4th of July” or “red white and blue” themed, but it IS delicious!  The poached pears were sweet and contrasted the pungent gorgonzola cheese well.  The peppery watercress (and the watercress I bought WAS peppery!) added yet another dimension of complexity to the dish, and the crunch of the curly endive and candied walnuts complemented the soft “melt in your mouth” texture of the pears and cheese (oh wait, the cheese was already melty!).  It looks like a simple dish, but was made with love and was a huge hit (well, except for Grandpa – who saw the lettuce and exclaimed “That’s rabbit food – I don’t eat rabbit food” haha – but he did like the pear at least!).

While pears are normally a winter time food (no, I could not buy them at the farmer’s market), this dish is all about being fresh and light for summer.  Well, I take that back.  I think this dish could work really in any season, flavor-wise.  I apologize to the locavore gods for buying a fruit out of season!

I’m sure that many many people have made poached pears and put cheese on them before, but I didn’t look up any recipes or anything for inspiration even!  It was all in my head and then transferred to the plate, and I was quite pleased with the result!

I know the ingredient list looks forever long, but do not be intimidated! There are just steps like any other recipe, but nothing is hard I promise – though it does take a little planning and time – this was a dish made with a labor of love.  Sometimes a tasty dish and a chance to share that with your family are just worth the time and effort and love you put into it.  I feel like when I share my food, I am sharing a little piece of myself.  The food I make is an expression of my soul, and few things make me happier than to know that others took pleasure in tasting what I had to share.

And so without further ado….

brannyboilsover July 7, 2009 at 10:52 am

Very nice original recipe. I have some gorgonozola in the fridge…I think I might experiment with your recipe.

Emilia July 7, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Maybe you could start using flickr for example? As far as I know if you upload pics on to wordpress they will go missing after some time anyway, and the uploading does affect the quality of the photos a lot in my opinion.

Btw, I like the way that picture looks, I don’t think anyone should really care about things like overexposure etc. just take a photo the way you like and edit it according to your own preferences :) That’s how I feel anyway, I find all the so called photography rules really annoying.

Ariane July 7, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Beautiful work as usual. I am going to go buy some cheese for a wine and cheese course, guess I get to add blue to the list :-)

zoe July 7, 2009 at 7:42 pm

That happened to my photos at first too. I upload mine to an online photo site called picasa web, but flickr or any of those will work. Then I embed the photo from the online album to my post by copying and pasting the link. Easy!

Mary Ellen July 8, 2009 at 3:15 am

Yum – this looks great! I had a poached pear on our vacation in St John and few months ago and have been wanting to make something with them.

Laura July 8, 2009 at 8:33 pm

This looks delicious!

tastyeatsathome July 21, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Ummmm yum!?!?!?!?! This looks amazing.

Desiree July 27, 2009 at 3:15 am

Okay, I clicked here from Bittman’s; it looks and sounds fabulous–now I’m stuck. I’m sure it’s obvious–but what the hay is EVOO?

Jenn July 27, 2009 at 3:18 am

EVOO is extra virgin olive oil….ha I picked up that abbreviation from Rachel Ray, bad habit on my part!

Jenn July 8, 2009 at 10:19 pm

I’ve gotten a number of suggestions since this post for using flickr…I think that’s a good idea thanks! I just hadn’t wanted to pay for hosting my photos yet, but I think I may have to (as I have way more pics than their free acct would allow)…

I’m glad you like the photo! FG apparently didn’t lol….maybe I will submit to tastestopping haha