Molasses Granola

by Jenn on July 21, 2009

in Breakfast,Pastas and Grains,Snacks,Vegetarian

Warning – this post is not gluten free!

Granola2

If you haven’t noticed, I like my food to taste as indulgent as possible.  I am definitely one of those people that “lives to eat” rather than “eats to live”.  I think most foodies are.  It is a definite balance though, with pretty strict portion/calorie control and  trying to have a fairly active lifestyle, so that I don’t feel like I ever have to restrict myself from taste or flavor.  Some things I eat are totally healthy.  And others are purely indulgent.  I think I would put this granola in the indulgent category for sure.

Mmm granola.  Have you ever had molasses granola before?  If not, I HIGHLY recommend it.  This was more like eating candy than it was eating granola.  Completely crunchy, and completely sweet, I think breakfast is going to be the highlight of my day for a while :)

I based this recipe off of this cocoa-molasses granola recipe that i found over on Librari[d]an.  I made a gazillion changes (ok, not quite a gazillion, but a few), so am posting my adapted recipe here.

Unfortunately this is not gluten free, because I am too cheap to spend the $$$$ on gluten free oats.  They do exist though.  If you buy gluten free oats, this granola should be celiac friendly.

Dan July 21, 2009 at 3:23 am

If you had trouble removing it from a baking sheet/pan I’d recommend lining w/parchment paper. Works like a charm every time!

Jessica July 21, 2009 at 3:52 am

Seriously stunning! This picture belongs on the front of a magazine! This is something way out of my league….but that picture looks so amazing and delicious that it makes me want to try anyways!

Wendy July 21, 2009 at 4:56 am

yes, I love the pic, too!! I’m excited to try this recipe when my slightly-burned-but-not-burned-enough-to-throw-away batch is finally gone… I’m getting a little tired of little burned honey-flavored pockets of burned pumpkin/flax/sesame seeds. :(

I second the tip about the parchment paper – works *great*! I hate using up my precious parchment paper because it’s kind of expensive, but I found some really cheap and decent stuff at a restaurant supply store.

stacy July 21, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Thirding the parchment paper! Yum, I might have to try this. The recipe I tried before used honey and maple syrup – delicious, but a little expensive right now.

I just made wheat bread yesterday with molasses instead of honey (I um.. ran out. Oops.) and it smelled so good! Apparently I strongly associate molasses with gingersnaps, though, which was a little distracting.

zoe July 21, 2009 at 2:51 pm

This picture is beautiful. This would pair great with some yogurt.

Michelle July 21, 2009 at 7:37 pm

this picture blows my mind, i never knew that granola could be so sexy!!!

Karine July 22, 2009 at 1:18 am

I love your pic! And your granola sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Jen @ MaplenCornbread July 22, 2009 at 1:42 am

I LOVE molasses so much!! ive never had granola made with it, I can just imagine HOW good it is! I am saving to make this :)

dinedish July 22, 2009 at 4:36 am

Have I mentioned how much I love this photo? It looks so professional with that background. Too cool!