Roasted Stuffed Artichokes

by Jenn on June 8, 2009

in Gluten Free,Vegetarian

dscn47532artichoke

My mother is from California, and even though I am not, she did her best to bring California to our little home in the northeast, and in fact, a number of home recipes that I was taught have “California Style” (yes even in the name directly haha! – I will have to make some of my mom’s “California Style” food for you all, cause it’s awesome) and so I grew up with a love of artichokes.  Most people when I talk about artichokes look at me with a weird look like “is that really a vegetable? I’ve never even heard of it before”.  If you have not yet been shown the light of this wonderful food, you must try it!

The classic way I am used to it being cooked is very simple – just boiling it in water seasoned with salt and italian herbs for about an hour and then dip the leaves in garlic butter and scrape off the yumminess with your teeth.  Another great way is to slice them in half and grill them.  Then dip them in a spicy ranch sauce. Yum!

But this was a new way of making artichokes for me, and I wanted to try it out.  I saw the idea over here on Group Recipes, and decided to give it my own little flair.
dscn47602artichoke-470x500

It seriously was everything I could do to take pics and not just dive right in!  The front of this pic is blurry from all the steam rising up, while it’s very similar to the pic up top, I just might like it better despite the blurry foreground.  What do you think?

dscn47462artichoke-500x375

Wendy June 8, 2009 at 2:10 pm

This looks SOOOO delicious! I’ve been tempted to buy artichokes lately, but I haven’t wanted to use the traditional sauces, and artichoke dip is so heavy. This is a perfect compromise!!

Jen June 8, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Artichokes are one of my favorite foods. This looks incredible!

Deborah June 8, 2009 at 4:35 pm

Oh my goodness – that has my mouth watering!!

littlebluehen June 8, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Oh artichokes, how I love thee. My husband and I don’t fight very often at all, and one of our fights was over artichokes because he doesn’t care for them. It was a tough day.

I might still be too lazy to do anything other than steam mine, but that looks glorious!

Kevin June 8, 2009 at 5:30 pm

These roasted stuffed artichokes sound so good! They are just packed with flavour!

Sara June 8, 2009 at 10:28 pm

That sounds amazing! And they’re beautiful too :)

jenskitchen June 9, 2009 at 1:01 am

That looks amazing! Yum!

Amy I. June 9, 2009 at 7:18 am

I’ve been meaning to make artichokes. I need to stop talking about it and actually do it. They’re a childhood favorite of mine too! Yours look delicious!!

Joelen June 10, 2009 at 1:52 am

This looks wonderful – the flavor of roasted asparagus is amazing and the recipe is one I’d love to try soon!

Amy Green - Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free July 13, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Your artichokes are beautiful. I wanted to let you know I linked to this post as another wonderful way to prepare artichokes.

Tara February 3, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Gluten free breadcrumbs? More info please.. I haven’t seen any

Jenn February 3, 2012 at 8:44 pm

yep, i can find them at my local natural foods store. Else one can make them easily by crumbling up gluten free bread and adding herbs and baking them to dry them out.

Tara February 3, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Thanks. I’ll have to look again.

Suzie the Foodie May 17, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I had real issues with this recipe. You really need to divide the recipe for the breadcrumbs in half and some photos on how to do the steps would have been really helpful.

Jenn May 17, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Hi Suzie –

I’m sorry you had such a hard time with this, and that I didn’t publish step by step photos for those new to cooking and eating artichokes. I tried to comment on your post but the commenting options wouldn’t let me, so I hope you check back here –

Looking at your efforts, it looks like your artichokes were rather small which is likely one reason why you had so much leftover breadcrumbs. For stuffed artichokes like this, you want the largest artichokes you can find – the kind I use for this are easily the size of a large grapefruit or bigger, called “globe artichokes”. And this is why a melon baller was not sufficient to remove the inner leaves for me, because larger artichokes are a bit tougher in the middle before they are cooked. I am also guessing that is why the cooking time was off for you. As for washing the artichokes, in general one should always wash fresh produce for safety reasons, and I apologize that I did not make this clear in this particular recipe. If it helps, please check out the original recipe on Group Recipes that I linked to above within my post. It is made a little differently than I did, but may be helpful to read someone else’s perspective.

And yes, your foodie friend is correct, for this type of artichoke and preparation you scrape the meat off of the bottom of the leaves with your teeth, peeling each petal away until you reach the heart. Again I sincerely apologize for not making it more clear how to enjoy this dish.