Homemade Duck Stock

by Jenn on June 7, 2009

in Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Meats,Soups

dscn46642stock

After enjoying wonderful roast duck legs last week, I just could not toss the extra fat/skin/bones without getting as much flavor out of them as possible.  Thus, later that night, I proceeded to make stock from it and some veggies I had around and created this succulent flavorful stock.  Use this stock wherever you would need stock or broth in just about any recipe, and oh will it taste so much better!  Duck is so much more flavorful than chicken, this definitely adds a richness to any dish.

Stock and broth are two different things, though I would argue that in most cases you can you either interchangeably.  This particular recipe is stock, because it is made from bones.  Though I did break a rule by adding in herbs and veggie scraps.  That’s typically only a broth technique.  But since when did I follow rules?  This tastes awesome.   Making stock from bones gives the liquid a much thicker texture (due to collagen), which I am guessing is why it is not as transparent as a broth would be.  Broth is mostly made from actual meat (no bones), and tends to not be as flavorful as stock.  If you want to use stock as broth, then you can dilute the stock a bit.  Stock can also be used to create things like various sauces and glazes and jus.

You will notice on mine there is a decently thick layer of fat on top. I let this stay because it will block oxygen from getting into the liquid, and without oxygen, the actual stock will last longer.  If you really want that fat gone, once it is refrigerated, the fat will cool and harden and you can just remove it with a spoon. I think the proper thing to do is to strain this off periodically while making the stock, if you want to be proper.

Notice there is no salt and pepper in this recipe.  I can’t stand it when I am using bullion or purchased stock and it is so salty that I have no control over the sodium content in whatever I am making.  By keeping this stock salt free, then when I use it in recipes, I can add however much or little salt I want to achieve the right taste.  By keeping the salt out you have a lot more freedom with your cooking.

Joelen June 8, 2009 at 5:56 am

Mmm…. I love making duck stock every time I have duck. I look forward to all the wonderful recipes you’ll be making with this! (I’ve missed commenting on your blog for a bit so it’s so good to have some time and catch up with all your cooking/baking! :) )

elly June 9, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Mmmmm this is, no doubt, fabulous. I love duck so much. Did you save any of the fat to render and make duck fat frites? :)

Elsie Hui December 6, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Thanks for the post! I just had a pile of duck bones and wanted to make duck broth – but wasn’t sure if it’s something people do! :) I’ll make it!

Jenn December 6, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Great, hope you enjoy it! I love the flavor this stock gives.

Natasha L December 12, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Beautiful site! Thanks for the duck stock recipe – I cooked it, referenced it on my blog (http://comestibilis.wordpress.com/) and then finally used it to create a delicious meal!

Jenn December 12, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Thanks, I’m so glad you enjoyed it!

Chuck Davis October 20, 2012 at 11:41 pm

What kind of sauces do you make from the duck stock? What could be made with the duck broth?
I know what kind of sauces to make from veal or beef stock, but would really like to try using duck stock and broth. It does have a wonderful taste and smell. Thanks

Jenn October 21, 2012 at 7:04 am

I just used it in place of chicken stock for a much richer flavor. It makes for a super nice risotto, and also goes really well in a hearty noodle soup. Enjoy!

BRIAN December 14, 2011 at 1:18 am

When I make stock,I pour the stock into small plastic dishes and freeze them,then knock them out into a plastic bag and keep in the freezer…so when I want stock I just add one or more to the recipe.

Natasha L December 14, 2011 at 10:47 am

I put my stock into ice cube bags – that way I can pop a few out every time I need to use some :)

Jenn December 15, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Great ideas!

brandon January 28, 2012 at 8:18 am

i feel that all that the stock needs is some duck bones and water… the mirepoix just seems to mask some of the ducky goodness

Jenn January 28, 2012 at 3:06 pm

You may be right – just habit for me to add in mirepoix, but duck is pretty flavorful, I don’t think its flavor gets completely masked…

Tom M April 10, 2012 at 2:55 am

You wrote:

“Bring just before boil, then to just below a simmer covered at least 3 hrs – don’t actually have it boiling. Enjoy the rich aroma wafting through your entire home.”

While I agree with just about everything you say here, There are some points to keep in mind. 1) If the smell permeates the room, that means that the broth/stock is losing flavour molecules to the environment.
2) It also means that stock is too hot (i.e. close to boiling) which will cause clouding of the broth.

Jenn April 10, 2012 at 8:35 am

thanks for the correction!

cyndi culbert April 15, 2012 at 12:47 am

Has anyone roasted their carcass and bones first ? I have heard this makes any foul richer? Just a question! tonight I made duck proscuitto and have lots to make stock from! thanks, Cyndi

Jenn April 15, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I’m really no expert in making stock, but excited for yours! Hope it comes out well :)

Tom M. April 15, 2012 at 3:32 pm

@cyndi culbert

Using “freshly roasted” carcasses and bones will definitely increase the “richness” of the broth. What gives any roasted meat its unique flavour is the result of heat induced Maillard reactions (which create a cascade of new flavour molecules from the amino acids in the meat).

There is a difference between roasted and burnt, though. So the left-over small bones and carcasses should be roasted gently in a low oven, say, 300F/150C, to avoid burning.

tom August 10, 2013 at 10:18 pm

What are the approx amounts on the items in the bouquet garnis? I have ruined lots of meals by thinking I could guess on the spices, I’m just not a good guesser i guess..

SteveBlak December 4, 2013 at 1:55 am

Roasted a couple of stewing ducks and making some stock to make duck stem with later. Thanks for the recipe.

Jenn December 10, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Wonderful, hope you enjoy!

Renee December 15, 2013 at 2:46 am

I love your comment about not adding salt or pepper to your stock. I never do either when I make chicken stock (this is my first duck stock), but I never really considered it until now. It makes no sense to raise the sodium level when you are going to season it later when you use the stock with a recipe. Plus if you are making stock from leftover skin and bones from a bird that you ate, more than likely it is has already been salted when it was roasted.

Nothing is worse that something that is over salted.

Christina January 6, 2014 at 1:55 am

You’re right – duck stock is awesome to keep around. Especially good too if you freeze it into ice cube trays so you can just pop one in to whatever you’re making for some extra flavor!

A suggestion for those of you who ever go out and eat Peking duck – have them save you the carcass or just throw whatever leftovers on the bone (legs, etc.) you have from dinner (including the spring onions) into the stock pot and it’ll make a different – but really nicely flavored – stock/broth.

Jenn January 6, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Thanks for that info, really great to know!

Steve January 20, 2014 at 7:40 am

I am a duck hunter, though, not much of a cook, and am looking for ways to maximize the utility of the ducks I take. I love duck. I have a couple questions.

Your recipe calls for 6 cups of water. What should I expect the stock to be reduced to after cooking as you prescribe for 3 hours; 6 cups, 5 cups, 3 cups?

Secondly, rather than reserving this stock for later use, can I simply add vegetables, rice or noodles and make soup with it, or would I need to add more water?

Jenn January 22, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Naturally it will reduce some as you will see steam coming off of the stock while it cooks, but it shouldn’t be nearly as much as compared to say, boiling the liquid that entire time. I would estimate around 1 cup of liquid lost, but it’s just a rough estimate as I’ve never really measured the total volume when I’m finished…

To convert stock to a soup broth, I generally dilute by a factor of two, but it’s up to your own personal taste and preference. Also, you will want to add some seasoning to a broth, as the stock will be a more neutral flavor.