Vegetable and Walnut Risotto

by Jenn on May 21, 2009

in Gluten Free,Pastas and Grains,Photography,Vegetarian

dscn42312risotto-500x367

This totally started off as an “I need to use things up and make dinner” dish.  But it turned out really well.  Walnuts go really well with vegetables in savory dishes and added a subtle complexity to the flavor of this dish.  Actually, this dish is all about subtle.  And how lots of different subtleties together can create something rich and beautiful.  This is not a dish where any one flavor “pops” or stands out, but where a number of flavors marry and blend together to create something synergistically delectable.  One note – use homemade broth if you can, the flavor will  be immensely better, and I really enjoy having some control over the saltiness of my dish.  For my broth I used some leftover from when I last boiled an artichoke.  I think this really made the dish.  So, go have yourself a great mini meal of some boiled artichoke dipped in yummy herb garlic butter the day before, and then make this risotto!  Ok, I understand not everyone is in love with artichokes the same way I am.  But I will at least advocate getting in the habit of making homemade veg. broth and using some here!

Tyler May 21, 2009 at 4:56 pm

If you have CS3 or CS4, try going to File/Open As, choose Camera Raw as the file type, and then open the image. Photoshop will open it with the Adobe Camera Raw, which should let you play with the color temperature and tint. Add a bunch of magenta in, and that cast should go away pretty easily.

Ellie May 21, 2009 at 5:45 pm

This dish looks great – I love that you added walnuts!

And what a difference photo correction makes, right?? :-)

brannyboilsover May 21, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Thanks for the broth tip and photoshop is amazing!

Jerri May 21, 2009 at 6:22 pm

my hubby built me a photobox to help with my lighting issues and they still have issues! but looks great. i love risotto.

Jenn May 21, 2009 at 6:44 pm

Yeah I really just need to invest in some actual decent lighting…I made a photobox but w/ crappy light it’s just bouncing around crappy light beautifully…..but actual purchases are going to have to wait til I graduate and can get a job w/ a pay grade higher than being a grad student!

Jenn May 21, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Hmm I didn’t know you could open up non RAW files w/ the RAW editor! This would make life SO much easier. I just have the cheapo photoshop elements though I’ll have to try to see if it will let me open up non-RAW files in RAW editor. That or buy an actual macro lens for my DSLR so that I can just shoot in RAW…

Yeah this was the product of a number of photo filter & color variation adjustments – I think I did a bit too much magenta though cause there is a slight magenta cast just above the risotto….