Mongolian Beef with Maitake and Green Pepper Stir Fry

by Jenn on May 19, 2009

in Dairy Free,Gluten Free,Meats,Pastas and Grains,Vegetarian

dscn42092stirfry-500x380

This was SO delicious!

Mongolian Beef

I made two things here – a fantastic Mongolian beef recipe that I found on Confections of a Foodie Bride who got her recipe from Pink Bites.  This recipe makes 4 servings

The only difference I did here was I used tapioca flour instead of cornstarch, and of course gluten free tamari instead of soy sauce.  I also used a top sirloin cut.  OMG this tasted fantastic, I loved it!  Fantastic recipe!!

Maitake and Green Pepper Stir Fry

I made this recipe to go with it (also 4 servings), to try a new culinary mushroom and add in some whole grains and vegetables to the dish :)

What are maitake mushrooms? Also known as hen of the woods, they are known for being full of flavor and were used medicinally in Chinese and Japanese cultures.  I saw them in the store, and thought I’d give them a try.  A full flavored mushroom would do much better in a stir fry than those boring white button ones.  It looks very unique, not like a typical mushroom that you are probably used to:
dscn41922stirfry-500x375

So with that I decided it was stir fry time!

brannyboilsover May 19, 2009 at 2:25 am

You hardly needed to justify your decision to eat the beef but your info was well-presented!

Chris May 19, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Great post – thanks for taking the time to find and present all of that information. I’m lucky enough to be able to get grass-fed beef from a (relatively) local farmer. But for others, tallgrass and la cense beef might be good options to look into.

Joelen May 20, 2009 at 1:58 pm

This looks wonderful – your picture is awesome!

glutenfree4goofs June 5, 2009 at 3:36 am

Great post, my sis and I were just talking about fish I’m going to come back and read every word as soon as I get the kiddo’s to bed! Thanks
Jessie

Diane-thewholegang June 5, 2009 at 1:15 pm

LOVE your info on beef, what it’s doing to the planet and how to learn about what you are eating. I too still eat beef but I know where it comes from and what it was fed. Great job!
Now, this recipe looks amazing. I’ve not actually cooked with maitake mushrooms but now I’m inspired to after seeing how you used them. Thank you for sharing this on Friday Foodie Fix.

gfe-gluten free easily June 7, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Wow, great info and beautiful dish! I was not familiar with maitake mushrooms either. I’ll be looking for them. :-)

Thanks,