Gluten Free Chocolate Eclairs and Profiteroles

by Jenn on May 17, 2009

in Cookbooks,Desserts,Gluten Free

dscn41842eclair-500x375

OMG yes, eclairs, and yes, gluten free!  I about died when I came across this recipe posted on Gluten Free Dogs and People.

I have never made eclairs before.  Or really any French pastry for that matter, despite my very prevalent French heritage.  But late is better than never!  You must know that eclairs are quite possibly one of my favoritist desserts ever, next to maybe Napoleons.  There are a number of things you can make with choux pastry, so I thought if I could get this airy light pastry down, then I could open up a whole host of doors in my burgeoning gluten free cooking endeavors.  This feat was not without its trials, emergency calls to my mother on the phone, finding a new cookbook (well new to me) that has become my pastry bible, and a few missteps here and there, but the overall result was fantastic.  They are not perfect by any means, but I know how to improve them.  Those useful tips I made sure to include in this recipe.  Also, take a look at this pictoral step by step guide for gougères.  Same basic principles with the pastry, so you can see what it’s supposed to look like at each step of the way.

dscn41652eclair-500x375

Chocolate Ganache

For this I used the recipe in the original blog post.  It’s pretty much your basic ganache recipe, but I increased the chocolate content by over 50% and used an entire 12 oz. bag of chips.  For the light corn syrup, we find as long as we use Karo brand, no one in our family reacts.  This may or may not be the same with you if you are gluten sensitive.

Assembly

So because my eclairs kind of collapsed since they were still too moist inside, instead of traditional eclairs I assembled eclair sandwiches out of two of them.  This worked fine.  The profiteroles held up better, though some of them I turned into sandwiches too.  Here you can see what I mean, this is a profiterole I sliced with a serrated knife (yes, I know it’s blurry sorry):
dscn41662eclair

Just LOOK at those air pockets!! Yes, this IS gluten free!! I know amazing isn’t it?  THAT is what cooking gluten free should be like in the ideal world.  Now if I can just make GF bread look like that on the inside….

But I digress.  You can see how the centers really are too moist.  Oh well, live and learn.  Next time I will sacrifice one to be a test to cut into before deciding to pull the whole batch out of the oven.

So what you are supposed to do, is slice each pastry in half with a serrated knife so that you don’t squish it.  Then hollow them out, fill with cream, add the top, and cover with ganache.  Since some of mine collapsed, I went the “sandwich” route, and used one for the top and one for the bottom.  Know what?  They were still yummy. And that’s what I have photographed up top.  My eclair and profiterole sandwiches.  Eating one totally put me in a happy place all day :)

brannyboilsover May 17, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Congrats congrats!

Jen May 17, 2009 at 8:45 pm

WOW…… I am soooooooooooo making these!!! thanks so much for sharing!! Who knew an eclair could be just as awesome gluten free!! thanks girl!

Geo May 17, 2009 at 9:46 pm

They look fricken amazing!

chzplz May 17, 2009 at 9:55 pm

my recipe for profiteroles says that once they are baked to turn off the heat and leave them in the oven for an additional 10 minutes to let them fully dry out. It has always worked for me…

Jenn May 17, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Hmm that is a good idea! I will def. try that next time!

Emily May 18, 2009 at 12:33 am

Holy cow, those look awesome! Wow!

pinkstripes May 18, 2009 at 1:37 am

OMG! Those look amazing. Great job! Wow!

Jessica May 18, 2009 at 2:59 am

Yummy.

Friedl May 18, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Whoooow, these look so amazing, it’s practically like .. a regular profiterole ! :-O

Olga May 18, 2009 at 4:26 pm

These look absolutely gorgeous! I’ve made eclairs for Daring Bakers challenge, but they “fell” after coming out from the oven.

Emilia May 18, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Those look fantastic! I would never guess that those are glutenfree.

I love the picture with those raspberries; your photos are always so atmospheric.

WendyGK May 18, 2009 at 5:31 pm

The gluten-free baking gods smiled on you. Those are gorgeous.

Joelen May 18, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Great job and they look delicious!

Laura May 18, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Just today I found your blog…where have I been??? Everything so far looks amazing! : )

Lisa May 19, 2009 at 5:23 am

Hi Jenn – I love the adaptation of the recipe! How does the quinoa flour taste in the mix? I’ve never tried that. I use the featherlight mix from Authentic Foods.

I find that I have to watch for the moment when they done – but not overdone as well. I end up putting a little slit in the side to let the steam escape and I cut the heads off while still slightly warm to pull out the doughy stuff so they dry out a little better.

I really like your version.

I’ve added your link to my website. Thanks for the credit and the link in your recipe! And very nice to find your blog. It is terrific!

Lisa

John Chappell May 22, 2009 at 11:22 pm

Those look great. Looks like a fantastic baking project for this weekend.

Ashleigh Kellie July 22, 2009 at 2:33 am

Holy cow! Excellent job! Cream puffs are the one thing that I’ve really hesitated to try, but it sounds like it’s worth the effort.

Thanks for the great pics and instructions!

Z's Cup of Tea April 15, 2010 at 2:06 am

I’ve been browsing your blog and you have a number of excellent recipes that I want to try! Cream puffs or profiteroles are one of my favourite pastries – but I’ve never made them. For me they were a treat when I was little, biting into one was a pleasure in itself. I remember feeling mystified as to how those little balls were filled with cream! Maybe I’ll try making them myself now, gluten-free! The eclairs also look worth a shot. Those air pockets are so beautiful! It makes me ecstatic just to look at them. :)

Jenn April 15, 2010 at 7:25 am

Oh thanks! Yes the choux pastry works rather well gluten free, def. try them!

Sophie August 30, 2010 at 7:27 am

you certainly did a terrific job on these beautiful filled éclairs!!

MMMMMMM,…You can open your own Gf patisserie! Oooh,…yes!

Jenn August 30, 2010 at 8:39 am

Thanks! I have been meaning to make GF choux pastry again soon actually, I am thinking gougères this time :)

Brodie August 28, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I just made these… You are a legend! I was literally gobsmacked when I opened the oven & saw what looked like REAL profiteroles… I cannot believe GF turned out so well, thank you so much, you just made me & my family very happy (&full)!!!

Jenn August 28, 2011 at 7:37 pm

Oh great, I’m glad you enjoyed them!!

Ashleigh Jayne April 13, 2012 at 1:43 pm

omg! they look devine! i cant wait to try them :D
one question, with the quinoa flour, what do you mean by “enough to make the total 1 cup of quinoa flour” is that 1C of quinoa flour with the other flours or 1C quinoa flour without the other flours? :S sorry

Jenn April 13, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Hi Ashleigh – sorry, I meant so that the total GF flour volume is one cup. Was easier to write at the time than specifying 1/6 cup quinoa flour, because I don’t have any measuring cups that measure that :)

Ashleigh Jayne April 14, 2012 at 9:12 am

thank you very much :D that makes sense. sorry. was there a weight in grams? is that easier??

Jenn April 14, 2012 at 11:29 am

I need to redo this recipe to get it in grams, because I think it would be easier with a scale – unfortunately 3 yrs ago I had not yet learned about baking by weight, so this version is only in volume measurements. However, if you are interested in some recipes by weight, the Gluten Free Ratio Rally made choux pastry last May (the same exact type of pastry used to make eclairs like these) – if you check out Erin’s site from when she hosted the event, you’ll find links to lots of different GF recipes by weight :)

nyssa August 27, 2012 at 9:21 am

Hi Jen,

How much butter in grams??
I am so excited to make these!!!

Jenn August 27, 2012 at 9:43 am

One American-sized stick of butter is 113g :)

nyssa August 27, 2012 at 9:46 am

AH thanks so much!! I am in Australia. Thats going to be hard to measure but I will try my best!

Christine January 24, 2014 at 10:29 pm

My batter was way too thin. What am i doing wrong. 2 batches. Threw one out and added tons more flour and starch to the second one. They are still thin. Everyone else on here seems to be able to make it work. It was very thick til i had to add the 3 eggs.

Jenn January 25, 2014 at 9:30 am

It won’t be as thick as conventional gluttony choux batter, but it should be able to be spooned into a piping bag ok. Is it possible that your batter is cooling down too before you are adding the eggs? The heat there is really essential in order to help release the binding properties of the eggs.

Did you make any substitutions at all? Some flours behave better than others for this application…

I will try to think of other potential issues that could come up….

Stephanie Butterfield July 31, 2014 at 1:37 am

Question: do the profiteroles (once cooked) freeze well? I want to make them Wednesday for a together Sunday.

Jenn July 31, 2014 at 1:42 am

Honestly I have not tried freezing them before. I think if you don’t fill them, they should be ok, but without having done it myself, i can’t say for sure. I do know that if you fill them ahead of time, they will definitely get soggy so don’t fill them until the day of. Best of luck!

Stephanie Butterfield July 31, 2014 at 2:16 am