Challenge Morel! Sausage, Sage and Morel Ravioli

by Jenn on April 11, 2009

in Gluten Free,Meats,Pastas and Grains

dscn36692pasta-500x375

Edit – if you like my recipe and want to vote for me, the polls are now open!!

This sausage and morel ravioli is my entry into the Marx Food dried morel recipe challenge!  I was inspired to create this dish by combining a variety of traditional French flavors into a rich flavor packed homemade pasta that really highlighted the flavor of the morels.  You can purchase both fresh morels and dried morels on MarxFood’s website.  A brief description as it might appear on a menu:

Sausage and Morel Ravioli
Ravioli stuffed with veal and pork sausage, gruyere, and morel mushrooms, topped with morel and white wine cream sauce

Thought and Inspiration

Creating this recipe was a challenge in several ways.  The first was deciding on the exact meat to use for the sausage.  Sausage is just ground meat with flavoring and seasonings added, and after making this recipe, I am never going to buy pre-made sausage ever again.  This was so much tastier, and I could flavor it exactly how I wanted!  I was really leaning towards using a veal instead of all pork, as veal is a bit leaner and has a more subtle taste – but I ended up mixing the two together, because combining the two meats I think results in an overall smoother taste.

The next difficult choice was the cheese.  Obviously ravioli is traditionally made with a ricotta or a parmesean.  Neither of which I thought would work here.  Ricotta for being the wrong flavor and parmesean for being too strong.  The highlight of this dish is the morels.  I needed the flavors to blend together, without losing the taste of the morels.  I had thought about a lot of other cheeses, and ended up finding this great resource along the way if you ever need to learn about cheese.  But in the end, I decided on the gruyere, because it tends to be a bit milder and is more of a blending cheese compared to something like parm.

The most obvious challenge was creating a Gluten Free (GF) version of the ravioli.  Pasta needs gluten to give it elasticity which is crucial in getting it to roll thin enough to use.  Xantham gum is like a magic glue that holds dough together in GF recipes, so I used a lot of it here.  I’ve also learned along the way that mixing a number of flours together generally ensures greater chance of success.  I decided to go with half starches and half flours and keep adding eggs until it looked like dough, and that seemed to be a good approach!

dscn36662pasta-500x375

And yes, I really do love my china :)

Molly Jean April 12, 2009 at 11:13 pm

I loooove morels! This sounds seriously fabulous. I can’t wait for when my uncles and I go morel hunting. This will be a MUST TRY for them!!!

P.S. I love your china too ;)

Jessica April 14, 2009 at 1:55 am

Looks yummy!

Joelen April 15, 2009 at 12:31 am

What an elegant dish and I love the combo of sausage, sage and morels!

krystal April 16, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Yum, I love all kinds of ravoli, and yours has my mouth drooling! I voted for yours, hopefully you win!!!!!!

Jan April 16, 2009 at 10:54 pm

The ravioli was delicious. It’s not too strong and it is so filling. The cream sauce is the perfect finish.

Tess Lynch April 17, 2009 at 2:12 am

Jenn, these ravioli are absolutely gorgeous. I came across your site on the Marx Foods contest site (my recipe is for the tartlets) and just wanted to congratulate you on a lovely blog, great recipe and beautiful photos!

Best,
Tess

Carol April 17, 2009 at 3:44 am

jenn:
Can’t wait to try this recipe, we live in the Central Valley of CA, and should be able to find the morels fresh at the Farmer’s Market. I have great memories of hunting morels with my grandmother Dow at the farm, ask your Dad about the Dow farm in southern Illinois…..Your recipe sounds wonderful, and obviously you are a wonderful chef (like my sister, Linda) to have been able to develop such a delicate dish using Gluten free also…..Carol

Liena April 18, 2009 at 5:57 am

Looks sounds molto delicioso!!! I love mushrooms, and this dish is absolutely perfect for me. It looks like a lot of thought and love was put into it – I do hope you win!

lo April 18, 2009 at 6:06 am

Jenn – Just got around to checking all the submissions for the MarxFoods Challenge. These ravioli look absolutely fab… and gluten free to boot!!?? You’re the bomb.

Great food… great photos! Will be back to track your blog often!

dana April 18, 2009 at 6:11 am

Do you make the ravioli and cook them? If not how do you preserve the ravioli to cook later that day or another time?
I recently prepared ravioli, stored them and when I went to cook them they were mush. I hope you have a great solution.

Jenn April 18, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Hi Dana -

In this case, I made them a day ahead of time, and kept them in the fridge to cook them the next day (well, except for the ones I cooked for myself right after I was done making them!). You are right, fresh ravioli will get a bit soggy if you leave it in the fridge for too long, because the stuffing will make the pasta a bit mushy – one day was fine, i think two would’ve been ok, but definitely not longer than that.

Instead, to store them for a longer period of time, I would do the same thing that I would do with say, fresh gnocchi – line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and lay them out on the sheet, so they aren’t touching. Then place the sheet in the freezer – once they are all individually frozen, then you can put them in a freezer safe container to keep there until you are ready to use. Freezing them in this way will keep them from becoming one big frozen clump when you are ready to take them out.

Justin April 19, 2009 at 4:08 am

So Adelle sent me to look at this recipe. It seems like a really classic countryside recipe from France. I absolutely love the morels and sauce. Next time I can get my hands on some fresh morels (which might not be until I get back to the States next year) I think I will try this out.

smallkitchenbigideas April 20, 2009 at 1:02 am

Gruyere sounds like it would be perfect in the ravioli. The morel sauce also sounds fantastic.

mary jo April 21, 2009 at 1:20 am

hi jenn…

i am aunt jackie’s sister and just voted for you!

the dish seems wonderfully filling yet not overly heavy as some pastas can be…..

who has taught you?

do you watch the food network?
have a favorite show/cook?

good luck,
mary jo

Diane-thewholegang June 5, 2009 at 1:11 pm

WOW, these looks spectacular! Thank you for including a gluten free version. I wonder what a dairy free version with coconut mile would taste like? Hmm. I think I might have to find out. Thank you for sharing this on Friday Foodie Fix.

gfe-gluten free easily June 7, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Very, very impressive!!

Shirley

abby June 14, 2009 at 8:54 am

what a fabulous filling – i can almost taste it!