Belgian Waffles

by Jenn on March 14, 2009

in Breakfast,Gluten Free

dscn33712waffles-500x375

Gluten is the enemy of all waffles and pancakes.   My boss taught me this, and after trying a number of things, I am utterly convinced that the best waffles and pancakes ever made are gluten free.  Why?  Because the gluten tries to hold the dough together too much, making it harder for the baking soda to make those bubbles that keep them light and fluffy.

I encourage you to make GF waffles and pancakes whether you are a gluten free person or not, because trust me, this is one area where gluten free foods trump all regular foods.

We use the recipe on the back of the Ener-G tapioca flour box for our waffles, and adapt it for pancakes.  The real key here is the buttermilk.  You need an acidic environment in order for the baking soda to work its bubbly magic, and the buttermilk is the way to do this.  If you don’t have buttermilk, you could probably try it with regular milk (using less because buttermilk is so thick) and using baking powder instead (since baking powder has other ingredients to do the same thing with the acidity), but trust me, just use the buttermilk.

Separating and beating the eggs, however, is unnecessary.  I have yet to find a noticeable difference in the fluffy-ness after beating the egg whites.  I just don’t think it matters in this instance.

One other thing – do NOT use brown rice flour in an attempt to be healthier.  You have to use white rice flour, or the batter will be so runny you won’t be able to control it.

The recipe from Ener-G makes 2 very large very yummy belgian waffles :)

And then of course top your waffles with maple syrup, jam of your choice (I used blueberry preserves here), and a little bit of butter (don’t worry, this butter was for the two of us, but a melty globule of butter didn’t seem like it’d take as pretty a photo).

For pancakes however, we alter the recipe, by adding in 1/4 cup of a liquid in order to make the batter a bit runnier.  We’ve used maple syrup, OJ, or honey with the best success this way.  My favorite is adding in the maple syrup because well, I’m a New England girl at heart still, and there is nothing better than rich REAL maple syrup to make any meal instantly transform into relaxing comfort food :)

Friedl March 16, 2009 at 8:55 am

I never knew anything gluten-free could be better than the regular version :-P
Thanks for sharing ! I’ll certainly try out the recipe (yes, with the buttermilk !)

Heather March 16, 2009 at 7:29 pm

I always make buttermilk – 1 tbsp of vinegar in 1 c milk, mix and let sit for a few minutes – and it’s perfect!!

Mike April 17, 2009 at 5:50 pm

I am celiac and tried these and even my wife was impressed. I found the batter just a bit runny and with use a tad less liquid.

I used 1 cup milk but 1 tbsp of Lemon instead of the the buttermilk as that is a substitute.

Great flavour and texture.

Amanda March 24, 2010 at 5:27 pm

My sister can’t have Wheat or Dairy. Is there a dairy-free substitute for the buttermilk?

Jenn March 24, 2010 at 6:14 pm

The buttermilk is to provide acidity in order to activate the baking soda – if you use a dairy free milk and a few drops of lemon instead, you should get the right acidity – though you may have to adjust the amount because I’m not sure how the consistency would change.

Rachel H April 7, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Buttermilk has very little fat . . . because it’s what’s left after the butter is removed.

The recipe looks great, looking forward to trying it. Thanks.

Peace.

Jenn April 7, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Ah, good point, thanks for the correction! I’ll fix it in my post :)

Sophie August 30, 2010 at 6:08 am

I am a true Belgian & I am living GF now, since june 2010 & I can say that these waffles are so tasty & fab!

I made them twice & they were just perfect!

You also have one COOL foodblog! Yes!

Jenn August 30, 2010 at 7:20 am

Thanks so much! Yeah this has been my go-to waffle recipe pretty much since I first started cooking for my gluten-free husband, and it’s still a favorite of mine!

Nancy April 28, 2011 at 1:51 am

I used the link that you put up and it took me to an “uh-oh”. It is not there. So I looked at the site and only found brown rice recipe, you said NOT to use brown rice. I really want to try these, could you post the recipe please? Thanks

Nancy April 28, 2011 at 1:53 am

I think I may have found it. Thanks anyway. :)

Jenn April 28, 2011 at 10:28 am

I just updated the link. This is an old post, and the company has changed the link to their recipes a few times over the past couple years…