Dangerous 5 Min. Choc. Cake Recipe

by Jenn on January 29, 2009

in Desserts,Gluten Free

dscn31462-375x500

Ok I normally don’t post stuff that isn’t healthy or that is so quick, but this is definitely awesome.  I got this from some newlywed friends(though no idea who originally created it), and believe that I can easily adapt it for a gluten free kid given a try or two:

[print_this]

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE (serves two)

4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips
A small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips and vanilla extract, and mix again.Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don’t be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

Goes ESPECIALLY well with vanilla ice cream, and I bet some strawberries too.

EDIT: GLUTEN FREE VERSION

I created a gluten free 5 min choc. cake!!!!

Need 5-6 tbs of flour instead if you do it this way, however if you just use an all purpose GF flour I’ve found that 4tbs total with a pinch of baking powder should work fine.

Use 1/4 tsp xantham gum
2 tablespoons rice flour
1 tablespoon tapioca flour
1 tablespoon potato starch
1 tablespoon soy flour
1/4 tsp baking powder

Next time I will cut to less soy flour and more tapioca I think will make the flavor better, but it gets Ryan’s approval!! I kept adding flour until the mixture looked more like cake batter, so the exact total is unknown.  I bet all purpose gluten free baking flour would work well too.  Texture was spongey chocolately and cake-like, just like cake should be!

[/print_this]

Ariane January 30, 2009 at 9:36 pm

This looks sinfully delicious and easy.

Nicole March 25, 2009 at 7:52 pm

This is a wicked awesome cake!

Stacey J. Miller January 21, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I’m a fan of microwave mug cakes and gluten-free microwave mug cakes. In fact, I’m also the author of “101 Recipes for Microwave Mug Cakes” and “101 Recipes for Gluten-Free Microwave Mug Cakes.” You can find free sample recipes at http://www.microwavemugcakes.com. Both books are available there as well (and, of course, at the usual online bookstores).

Jenn January 21, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Interesting! MY GF version does need a little tweaking as the bean content of the mix is a little higher than it should be, but my husband made it all the time in grad school :)

Jess June 13, 2011 at 1:40 am

I found this on Pinterest….I just put my mug in the microwave, we will see! I will come back when I take a bite :)

Jess June 13, 2011 at 1:42 am

lol,okay well this sucks for me. I have an something bad over here! It’s rubbery and burned on the bottom. Wonder what I did wrong, I followed the directions exactly :( Bummer

Jenn June 13, 2011 at 10:13 am

Sorry it didn’t work out for you! Where you making the gluten-full or gluten-free version? I didn’t create the gluten-full version, but the gluten free one I know could use a little updating in the flour choices…

Maybe try turning your microwave power down some? What size of mug were you using?

Amy September 12, 2011 at 5:04 pm

We don’t microwave. I wonder if you’d bake at 350 for what, 20min in a convection oven in a corningware?

Jenn September 13, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Sorry, I am really not sure how to convert microwave time for oven times, wish I could help…